migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Migraine Hangover?

+7
charmed quark
tdu
Tngirl83
Sara79
Jewishmother
lentils
Manx10
11 posters

Go down

Migraine Hangover?  Empty Migraine Hangover?

Post  Manx10 Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:04 pm

I spent this weekend fighting a migraine and now the day after, trying to fight the migraine hangover (for lack of a better word). Does anyone else experience this, and any tips on how to get over it? For me, it's a combination of feeling like I'm in a fog which I can understand, my meds do that to me. But the main part that's the hardest for me to deal with is this overwhelming sadness that I can't shake. I don't know if it's the meds, or my head trying to put itself back together or what. Sometimes I wish I still had the migraine pain instead of this feeling, at least that's easier for me to deal with.

Anyone else experience this?

Amy
Manx10
Manx10

Back to top Go down

Migraine Hangover?  Empty migraine hangover

Post  lentils Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:27 pm

Yes, it has happened to me. I wish I could tell you something that would work for you, but it is better if you experiment yourself. Somethings that you could try are eating small meals with protein, taking a walk or getting some other mild exercise. You might hit on something that helps. If not, it goes away in time. It is better not to be alone or at least to be able to have phone conversations with others.

lentils

Back to top Go down

Migraine Hangover?  Empty Re: Migraine Hangover?

Post  Jewishmother Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:26 pm

Yes, it also happens to me - I call it d & g (for doom and gloom). I believe that the migraines cause a chemical change in my head and that causes the feelings of depression. I try to keep myself distracted during this time - crochet, draw, or just call a friend who understands......... Wink
Jewishmother
Jewishmother

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:14 pm

I struggle with it too.

Re-hydrating is always helpful to me, since many times I'm nauseous through the migraine, and therefore somewhat dehydrated.

Then I try to do something small and not very active, like reading or catching up on the web, since for me, throwing myself into a physical project can just about guarantee either a rebound or a relapse into an active migraine again.

Also a small amount of caffeine can help me with the foggy feeling, so sometimes re-hydrating involves a pot of tea.

As a last resort, a nap really helps, but it can throw off my sleep patterns and make then next night rough, since then I'm wide awake.

Sara79

Back to top Go down

Post  Tngirl83 Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:17 pm

I have the hangover feeling too. Haven't been able to find relief. Just have to wait for it to pass which is usually a day.
Tngirl83
Tngirl83

Back to top Go down

Post  tdu Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:46 am

I get that anytime a migraine lasts more than a day. I was down all weekend with one and am feeling horrible this morning. Besides the depressed feeling, I get groggy and get joint and muscle pain. It's sometimes harder trying to go into work feeling like this than it is trying to work through the headache itself.

I actually do some of the same things the poster above me mentioned. One other thing I try to do during the day is sweat though. Whether it's through being outside, or having a hot epsom salts bath. I do it while drinking massive amounts of lemon water. I find 'flushing myself out' like that seems to help shake it off faster.

tdu

Back to top Go down

Migraine Hangover?  Empty re:migraine hangover

Post  charmed quark Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:28 am

The insurance company suddenly cut off my preventative and I just had a mild/moderate every day for the last three days.

Even with these mild migraines I get a hangover. The next day I'm tired and foggy and I have trouble remembering stuff. I was at a conference Saturday morning and people would introduce themselves and the name would just go in one ear and out the other. Even when I went up to them again and apologized for forgetting their name and made a special effort to remember, with mnemonics and all, it would just go right out of my head again. Really embarrassing and frustrating.

charmed quark

Back to top Go down

Post  Manx10 Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:08 pm

Thanks, everyone. As much as I wish we didn't have this in common, it really helps to know I'm not alone. I enjoyed reading about how you all combat the hangover, and new names for it (Jewishmother, I love d&g and am going to borrow that one if I may). I'm definitely going to try the techniques suggested, thank you all. And Charmed Quark has your insurance company situation worked out, are they stopping you altogether or are you able to go back on the preventatives? I hope that works out in your favor and soon. Yes, the embarrassment of not remembering names and being in a fog, totally embarrassing and puts even more pressure on me (like at work, when I'm in that fog and need to perform) which in turn creates more stress, more migraines, ugh.

Thanks again everybody.
Amy
Manx10
Manx10

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:29 pm

I am the opposite. I am on a "high" when my migraine is gone.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathy Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:49 pm

I get more of a pinkiller hangover. I had a terrible migraine yesterday and took several painkillers and Phenergen at the end of the day. It took me much longer to get going this morning, as usually happens the day after, and I'm just now really waking up and it's soon time to go home. Once the painkillers are out of my system I'm okay. But probably some of it is the brain fatigue from the mig itself and my neck muscles being all knotted up. So I know exactly what you mean. We don't exactly jump up as soon as it's over and start doing cartwheels. Ouch.

Cathy

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnfd Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:16 am

I've described the 3rd day of an attack before as "wading through treacle". Everything I do is slowed down and I tell people that I can control time. For instance, if I reach to pick something up it takes a long while for me to reach the object but it will be viewed as normal speed by someone else. Really weird. Typing is awful with my hands slowly working away on the keyboard and not being able to speed up. Interestingly the actions of other people appear normal to me while I'm moving through this quagmire. Their speech is normal and watching tv is ok but if I get up...
Johnfd
Johnfd

Back to top Go down

Migraine Hangover?  Empty migraine hangover

Post  lentils Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:51 pm

Trying to get somewhere on time is always a challenge when I'm in this state, I just can't seem to get moving and everything is taking longer than usual. I used to be able to tell my brain, wake up!, but it doesn't listen to me anymore.

lentils

Back to top Go down

Post  clairey Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:23 am

wow - so strange to read all these other people going through the things i do!

I've read some links between serotonin and migraines. Serotonin is the brain chemical that makes us feel good so perhaps there's a connection there with our post-migraines blues.
I have also drawn the conclusion that 2days in bed not talking to anyone and puking is depressing but it's not til i wake up that i can appreciate how depressing - hence my depression after the migraine.
I'm not sure it will be suitable for everyone but maybe a gentle massage would help? even just getting your feet or hands done feels lovely and brings you back to the land of the living. Just nothing too severe that will bring on another headache. And disclosure: I'm a massage therapist!

clairey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down