migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

migraine "hangover"

+6
Mini
chrissypalgal
alli
02R96
dcook60
amy
10 posters

Go down

migraine "hangover" Empty migraine "hangover"

Post  amy Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:13 am

I am new here. Have suffered with migraines since childhood (30+ years). I am coming off a really bad 4 day headache extravaganza and I have a terrible "hangover". Anybody have any suggestions other than rest? I'm sure you all have experienced the " your headache is gone, why does you still feel lousy?" comments.

Thanks!
amy
amy

Back to top Go down

migraine "hangover" Empty Re: migraine "hangover"

Post  dcook60 Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:25 am

amy, i'm pretty sure your experience is not uncommon. maybe others will chime in. after my 40-hours in bed, twelve of those violently throwing up, i'm totally exhausted. i'm only able to sleep thru the pain in 10-minute increments.

the next day my head feels way better, but i'm really s-l-o-w and wandering around the house bumping into things. after a few hours i'm back to "normal", but for awhile i look and feel spacey and out of it. dianne
dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

Post  02R96 Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:26 am

After a 2-3 day episode, I usually feel wiped out; no energy, slightly achy and the usual dull headache (but I always have a headache of some kind). It's like the body and spirit uses so much energy fighting the migraine, there's nothing left after it subsides.

Does this sound like what you're feeling? Question
02R96
02R96

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:39 am

That is called the postdome. Your body takes a little time to return to normal after your brain freaks out. I always feel like crap for a day or so after a really nasty attack. It's all part and parcel of the whole migraine attack. Prodome, aura, PAIN, postdome.
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

migraine "hangover" Empty Re: hangover

Post  chrissypalgal Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:35 pm

I get this all the time. By the time I fight through the migraine I also have to fight through the stupid hangover that one gets. Only thing that works for me is rest. But I also have noticed that I also can't just lay in bed all day, I have to do some activity, like light housecleaning or a small walk around my neighborhood. I think the moving helps to get my body back in the normal things. As normal as they can get living in chronic pain all the time. When I am in this cycle I do up my does of magnesium and try to get some sun. I read that in a book and for me I know it sure does help. I personally think that we have to kind of baby ourselves to get well. I try to eat very good, drink a lot of water and just do things that really reduce my stress. Anything and everything. Do what it takes.
chrissypalgal
chrissypalgal

http://throughthewordsofchronicpain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

migraine "hangover" Empty Feeling like you do

Post  Mini Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:43 am

Reading migrainpaige for a while, finally I had to reply to you - I am right now in bed, feeling exactly like you describe, no pain but all my energy is gone, hardly able to type, even my hands feel "floppy" so this is short.
I only want to add that before any new bout of migraine I feel exactly opposite, I am full of energy and start on many neglected jobs only to be left half-done next day when the pain comes.

Hope you are feeling better soon.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:17 am

As I generally have migraines every 4 days and they last 3 days, I am not sure I recognise this.
I also have fibro so feel pretty crap all the time.

Maybe some of the FMS crap is actually migraine aftermath?
Never thought about it...

Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  amy Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:48 am

mini- I have the pre migraine burst of energy too, which helps me catch up from the previous headache!
amy
amy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:17 pm

Amy, I forgot to add that although I have no remedy for getting rid of "hangover", I handle it by letting it ride, so it passes more quickly, often by doing some pleasurable things (reading a book, listening to music etc) instead of stressing about it (stress can be a migraine trigger).
I am also reminding myself: I need a rest and anything else must wait. I repeat it from time to time as well.
Also explaining all this to people who are close to you, helps a lot.

Good to know that you also have a "good day" before - try to make most of it as well.
I am sure we are all grateful for a break from feeling unwell.

Love your cat!
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:45 am

When I abort a migraine, I have instant energy and happiness. I'm usually able to abort them. If I don't and am down for a day which happens a a few times a year, I am very tired but get up and do normal things. If I stay resting, it just makes me more tired.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:51 pm

I'm certainly mentally slow today following my monthly 2 day migraine. (no power tools today).

I also have really sore muscles. It feels like I did a big workout while not in shape. What's up with that? Does anyone else get muscle aches during this 'hangover' state?
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Petzi Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:34 pm

In the first couple of years of my migraine career as soon as the pain stopped I had a rush of energy and was on top of the world. I would bounce out of bed on high. Now 20 years in I don't get this rush anymore. I just feel knackered. I have zero energy. Despite my low energy levels I drag myself through the day by doing the things that have to be done. Pain free days are too precious to waste.

P.
Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  amy Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:49 am

migrainegirl - Yes! I get sore too - I tense up like crazy at the first sign of pain and I figure that plus lying in bed makes me sore.
I wish it was from a workout!
amy
amy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down