migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sorted then, just sleep...

+2
lizholmesod
pen
6 posters

Go down

Sorted then, just sleep... Empty Sorted then, just sleep...

Post  pen Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:41 am

http://www.elinens.co.uk/information/latest_news/june2010/study_migraines_reduced_after_good_night_s_sleep/index.html.

(yes I know they are selling beds)

Really though, we dont seem to do sleep studies here in the UK. Do we???
Who has found their sleep pattern/quality is intrinsic to their migraines?

I have FMS and un-refreshing sleep is a big problem
I sleep all night if migraine doesnt wake me.
But I dont feel refreshed.

Is it a trigger....

Last edited by pen on Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total

pen

Back to top Go down

Sorted then, just sleep... Empty Re: Sorted then, just sleep...

Post  lizholmesod Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:54 am

Sleep is a massive part of my migraine 'triangle' (water, exercise, sleep) - if I mess up on one then I'm risking a migraine, if I mess up two, I'm almost certain to get a humdinger, if I mess up on all three then I might as well write off the rest of the week!

I have to keep to my sleep window, which is as much about not over-sleeping as under-sleeping. I very very very very rarely alter my pattern by more than about 1.5 hours in either direction.

I love sleep...

Sleep

lizholmesod

Back to top Go down

Post  crt Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:00 am

pen wrote:

Really though, we dont seem to do sleep studies here in the UK. Do we???
Who has found there sleep pattern/quality is intrinsic to their migraines?

I have.

Chris

Last edited by crt on Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:12 am

Liz,

How did you work it out please? How would I find out how much is too little or too much...
As for water, not sure about that, and I dont get to exercise at all.
If I try I get BAD pain..

P

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  lostinobx Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:36 am

Hi Pen,

I too don't feel like I get a good night's sleep. No matter how long I sleep, I wake up tired. I was taking Lunesta and it didn't help. took Ambien a long time ago and don't even want to go there with those side effects. But now, I'm taking Ami and that has done wonders for helping me get to sleep.

Nonetheless, I still wake up feeling tired and drain, and of course with a headache.

To answer your question. I do feel that not enough sleep, too much sleep, or not a deep sleep is a trigger for me.

Pen, you say you can't excercise because of your Fibro and your head pain, I believe? You know what I started doing about a month ago. Only because I cannot afford a gym, and my stationary bike is still in storage in NC because I have no where to put in at my moms. I do chair squats every night. I only do 30 (which I know is not a lot) but, it's something. Then, I lie on the bed and do crunches. 10 to the right leg lifted, 10 to the left leg lifted, then 30 to both legs lifted. It only takes me about 10 minutes to do this. I know this is no where near what I should ne doing, but, at least it's a start and something that I can work up to?? Smile

BTW - I hate excercising Sad

I know it's not a lot. But, at least I feel like it's something. At least it's more than I did before, which was nothing. Could you try the chair squats? Very easy. Stand in front of the chair, hands behind you, squat like your sitting. Works your legs, butt, arms. Not sure what else Smile

lostinobx

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:53 am

I do walk the dog for 20 minutes when I can. It used to be 5 times a week, now it is more like once or twice.
I also when I can go up the stairs two at a time. And I do try to just "move" a bit when I can.
I dont want to sit here all day. I have put on a lot of flab, and it ain't what I eat...

We have a Wii machine. When we got it two years ago I was always using it, well once or twice a week.
I love the bowling....
Now I am lucky if I can do it once or twice a month, since I got this neck problem....
Exercise needs to be consistent. So I try something and spend a week waiting for my muscles to get over the agony.
I did ONE session of the step exercise on the Wii. Next day I could hardly walk....Sucks...

But yes, I do try.

pen

Back to top Go down

Sorted then, just sleep... Empty exercise

Post  crt Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:47 pm

Pen,

Exercise doesn't have to be vigorous and taxing to help pain. I like working out with weights and walking but that's not for everybody. Maybe we're using a word that brings painful pictures to mind. "Exercise" can be very gentle, slow, smooth movements. I think that's what Jayme was talking about. How about starting with the movement Brent suggested? I have been doing it at work and it does help relieve some of the neck pain.

In terms of customized exercise for the individual's condition, my experience has been with physical therapists. They deal with folks with all sorts of injuries and conditions, most of them in moderate to extreme pain. In order for a program to be effective and doable, the PT has to take into account the individual's problems. When I went to physical therapy after accidents, I saw people with missing limbs, in wheelchairs, partially paralyzed. Every one of those people were given a custom routine that they could and would actually do.

Why I and others here keep harping on the exercise bit is that our bodies are designed to move. Not doing so creates problems of its own. I know that you try. I think you just haven't found the right professional person who can customize a program for you. I like physical therapists because I and my partner have had great ones. I see the outstanding results of following their exercise programs.

Chris

crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:50 pm

Chris I havent found any professional person.
I have no support in that way.
Its just me and my family.
I have no idea how to find anyone, nor how to pay for it..

Every possible chance I have, I move and I leave the house.
Yesterday I walked the dog for 15 minutes, today I cooked dinner.

Thanks,
Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Sorted then, just sleep... Empty sleep trials

Post  dawn.binks Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:21 pm

there have been sleep trials here in the uk and your neuro pen should beable to fill you in on that. again you need to keep a sleep diary to find out what is too much or too little but with you remember you have he added complication with your neck. my neuro has always said to me about sleeep and notes when that is affecting me, because he is involved with mig research tho he does let you know what the latest studies are coming up with. have a look at the mig action site for their leaflets on sleep. it is a massive factor in mig.
dawn.binks
dawn.binks

Back to top Go down

Sorted then, just sleep... Empty PTs and sleep studies

Post  crt Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:35 pm

There are definitely physical therapists and sleep study facilities in Britain. I just did a search. Now I understand that getting to them may not be that easy. Can you ask your GP to refer you to one or both?

They're well familiar with sleep problems over your way. BTW, the Brits spell it Sleep Apnoea rather than Apnea like we do. Not than any one cares except myself and maybe Vicki.

Chris

crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter_sky Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:16 am

An interesting topic, sleep.

I had suffered from insomnia since I was a child even before my migraines took hold when I was an adolescent. I would not sleep for up to five days every week and I know I didn't sleep because I stayed up, on the fifth day I would just crash, the next day it would start all over again. All sorts of sleep aids would be tried but non worked I just could not sleep.

When I reached adolescence my sleep improved and I was sleeping 6-10 hour a night, but I often got migraines but never connected the two.

A few years ago I had family issues that caused me to work very long hours and only get about 4 hours sleep a night, this went on for about two years, and my migraines seemed a lot less regular, but again I never connected the reduced migraines to my sleep pattern, not until I read this post.

Now in the last few weeks I have been getting very little sleep due to business issues and have started work most days at 3am after only a few hour sleep. I would expect to feel carp with so little sleep but so far not even a headache, so could the two be connected?

It could all just be coincidence, it could be the butterbur I started a few weeks ago (I hope it is this) or maybe I will crash and burn with a big MM to pay for my burning the candle at both ends, we will see, but interesting anyway,

Peter
Peter_sky
Peter_sky

Back to top Go down

Post  lizholmesod Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:03 am

Hey Pen - sorry for the delayed response I was away this weekend. I just based it on the old 8-hours. I accidentally overslept by about 4 hours last weekend and had a week-long humdinger afterwards. It could have been a combo of lots of factors but I definitely attribute some of it to too much sleep.

Thinking about it - sleeping longer means not drinking water for a longer period, so getting dehydrated - that is also a big big factor for me.

It's hard after a difficult day not to see the joy of a lie-in, particularly as I say - I LOVE sleeping, but I have to restrict it. Similarly if I don't sleep terribly well and don't get enough I get a bad head. Planning my sleep takes up a long time! I counterbalance a late night by starting work later the next day etc.

Exercise - I guess one can only do what one can! When I'm feeling achey and sore water-based activity is nice and soothing, as is gentle yoga or tai-chi, or even just some nice stretching. I go at it a tad harder than that though - bit of a running and cycling freak - hard cardio 4-5 days a week is my standard! I appreciate that's impossible for you with your fibro.

LHx

lizholmesod

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down