migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Absolutely heartbroken over Neuro appt. today

5 posters

Go down

Absolutely heartbroken over Neuro appt. today Empty Absolutely heartbroken over Neuro appt. today

Post  lostinobx Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:29 pm

Hi all,

As I sit here writing this, I am in tears. In my search of 29 years to find that special, awesome Neuro, 4 years ago, after seeing so many, I finally found him with the help of Teri Robert. He is in Northern VA in the same office with Dr. Stark who is affiliated with MAGNUM. My Dr. Dr. A. is the most compassionate, caring, considerate, and I could go on forever, Dr. I have ever had the priviledge of meeting and being a patient of. This man listens to you, he cares about your health, and about migraines. He is not afraid to try new things. He will go that extra mile. He will try things you suggest. You can call him day and night and he is always there for you.

He is not stingy with prescribing pain meds (if i told you the quantity I get per mth, your jaws would drop to the floor) - no joking. I could Will my children's grandchildren and they would have enough to last them their lifetime.

Anyway, a few mths ago he started only seeing patients in the afternoon as he was working at the hospital in the mornings. Well today he told me that he was done working out of the office and was going to be working full time in the hospital. I almost fainted. He said I could continue seeing the PA or Dr. Stark, or another Dr. but it won't be the same...

I am a true Southern girl and we tend to call people "sweetie" or "hon." One day in his office, I called him sweetie and I thought he would fall out of his chair. He is so much younger than me and after I said it I couldn't put it back in my mouth. He looked at me, winked, and said, I've never been called that before. Boy, was I embarrassed, but he was so sweet about it. Such a doll!!

When I was going through my divorce, I moved to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Lived there for a year. I drove - one way, 6 hours just to see him every 3 mths.

I am soooo heartbroken over this. You guys know what it's like finding that "special" Dr. and how long it takes to do so. UGH...just can't believe this.

How many of you have gone through this?

Hugs!

lostinobx

Back to top Go down

Absolutely heartbroken over Neuro appt. today Empty Re: Absolutely heartbroken over Neuro appt. today

Post  Brent Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:36 pm

I was dumped by a pain management counselor right after I experienced and horrendous event. At the very time I needed someone I had a solid trust with she got rid of me. She referred me to someone 70 miles away. Which is a pure dump and not a referral.

I spent almost a month trying to find someone else to handle this new situation and nobody accepted my case. But in the long run it worked out for the best. I found one that was absolutely amazing and better then the previous one by far. But that didn't help erase the hell of that month.

So I do know how it feels. Good docs are hard to find and good neurologists are nearly impossible to find. However I know many people, myself included, that have their mig meds managed by a regular GP doc. They can prescribe any med a neuro can. I have not even had a neuro doc for over 18 months now. All of them in my area are burned out, indifferent, apathetic and overall crap docs that should have retired twenty years ago.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Absolutely heartbroken over Neuro appt. today Empty Re: Absolutely heartbroken over Neuro appt. today

Post  Anna's Mom Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:10 pm

It happened once to us seven years ago, but we found a totally new great neuro with the first phone call I made.

I hope things will be ok for you!

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  cupatea Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:27 pm

I feel so bad for you. I get worried at just the thought of my GP leaving the practice. As it is, he is only in his office 2 days per month. I have had an 11 year wonderful relationship with him, and, like Brent said, he has surpassed every single neuro I have encountered in his respect and help with migraines.

My pain dr is now down to one afternoon every other month. As I couldn't get in this month, and he is out of the office next, my appt in August will be 3 months since my last one.

I understand your pain. In a way you are losing your confidante. I do think that there are some great doctors out there.
Between my GP, pain management dr and sleep/headache doctor I haven't had a neurologist in quite a few years now.

I'm keeping the faith for you!

Tea
cupatea
cupatea

Back to top Go down

Post  lostinobx Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:03 am

Thanks you guys so much for your encouragement and your understanding. I knew all of you would understand and would probably have had at one point similar experiences.

And yes, Tea, it is like loosing a confidante. Acutally, it feels like I have lost a true friend. I know there are other great Dr's out there, but dang, they are so hard to find and I am just not at that point in my life that I am in the "search" mode to start all over again. Thank goodness, he is in with a bunch of good Dr's. My only hope is that they are as great as he is and will keep me one my current cocktail of medications, as they are working so well for me right now.

What I will miss so much from Dr. A. is his ability to listen and empathize. I have heard so many stories from some people on this forum saying that their Dr's gave up on them because there was nothing else that they could do for them. Dr. A. would NEVER say that to any of his patients. He would FIGHT and keep trying every possible thing until he found what worked and he was never afraid to try new things, nor was he one to say "you don't have a clue what you're talking about, so no, I will not let you take xxx medicine."

Now, my dilema is whether I should start seeing the PA who can write my scripts, or start seeing another Dr. in that practice. I have seen the PA on many occasions as he is the one who does the spinal taps, botox, and other procedures. He also wrote scripts when Dr. A. was on vacation.

What would you guys do?

Thanks again for your responses and encouragement. I love this forum and all of you who can relate to these issues and this dreadful disease.

Hugs!!

lostinobx

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:51 am

Sorry to hear about this. I had to fire my neuro - he was just awful. Thankfully I have a wonderful GP. The only thing I worry about is him retiring - his practice is closed and he's past the time when he could.

As for another doctor, or the PA. Well I guess my leaning is the Dr. first and see if you like him/her. If you don't get along with them but have a good repor with the PA then see them. There are wonderful PA's but there are also some pretty awful ones.

Just my .02 Smile
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  lostinobx Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:06 am

Thanks heeler,

Because of no longer having insurance (divorce) and now not being able to afford it because of not making enough money at my job with my preexisting condition, I don't have a GP. The only Dr. I have is my Neuro.

Hmmm...I am wondering. Should I only continue seeing the PA, do you think it would cost the same as it does if I would see another Neuro in the same office?? I never thought to ask.

Anyway, I am sure that if I do see the PA, although he can write and sign scripts, he will also probably have to run things by Dr. Stark, wouldn't you?

And yes, you are right. I suppose I could meet Dr. Stark, see if I like him and I am sure I will, just so he gets to know me and my condition, and go from there. Maybe seeing the PA, until I have a problem...whatever. YUCK...I was just so comfortable and I hate the thought of changing. Oh well, suck it up. At least there are other Dr.s in that same practice and I don't have to start from scratch and find a whole new practice. Guess I need to stop being a whinny baby Smile

Hugs!

lostinobx

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:17 am

No - whine away! When you find a wonderful doc and they leave for whatever reason it is devastating (had this happen with 2 Gyns). It's like starting all over again.

I, thankfully, have wonderful insurance and my GP is the one that has to pass me on when he feels out of his league. He's totally old school and I just love him. Granted there are times I have to be a giant pain in the a$$ but he sees my point.

Yes the PA is going to have to run things past Dr. S - so it might not be a bad idea to set up an appointment with him just to meet so he knows what's going on with you. If there's a personality conflict, then see the PA. At least the Dr knows your story and will be okay signing off on whatever you and the PA decide upon.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  lostinobx Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:19 am

I totally agree with you. It wouldn't hurt to meet this other Dr. At least then, I will have two people working with me and then should I need to change meds, I will have Dr. S knowing my background.

But, do you or anyone else know about the fee thing? Do you think it would be cheaper seeing just the PA, or will I be charged the normal office visit, regardless? Especially since he is not a certified Dr., Neuro?

Any thoughts?

Hugs,
Lisa

lostinobx

Back to top Go down

Post  lostinobx Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:00 am

bump -sorry - wanted answer if anyone knows about fee question Smile

lostinobx

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down