migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

distended and bloated stomach

4 posters

Go down

distended and bloated stomach Empty distended and bloated stomach

Post  Dawn Wed May 26, 2010 9:37 am

Has anyone else had this problem?

During every migraine, I get horrible stomach distention, bloating, nausea, and severe pain that lasts as long as my migraines, which are usually a week long. I normally wear a size 16...during my migraines, I bloat up to a size 22!!! My stomach is like rock hard! Then I get horrible back spasms and pain as well.

As soon as my migraine is gone, so is my stomach and back pain (not to mention the head pain!). I put hot packs on my back, and cold packs on my neck, which seem to help my back pain...but nothing works for my stomach problems.

Any ideas on how to bring the swelling down in my stomach?

Dawn
Dawn
Dawn

http://www.greenourliving.com

Back to top Go down

distended and bloated stomach Empty Re: distended and bloated stomach

Post  pen Wed May 26, 2010 9:43 am

I dont get the bloating, but I get stomach problems. I have IBS and fibro.
My daughter has IBS but no migraines, but gets headaches sometimes with the bloating.

She once had to come home from work because her clothes had got so tight.
She changed them and went back to work....

They say these conditions are co morbid. I think they are more than that, and that is why I started a FB page about it.
Seems I wasn't alone. 155 people have joined in a month....

As for how to sort it, I have no idea, but I am told it is worth checking to see if you have a candida infection...

Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  lizholmesod Wed May 26, 2010 10:49 am

Ahhh the old gastric stasis thing again - try taking something like domperidone to kick start your digestive systems (though if your stomach's not working because of the migraine, it won't get digested, so back at square one).

I suffer from this too - hateful.
LHx

lizholmesod

Back to top Go down

distended and bloated stomach Empty The "Bloat"

Post  charmed quark Wed May 26, 2010 1:13 pm

Yeah - it's horrible. Probably from the stasis effect, where you stomach shuts down during a migraine as mentioned above.

Dijya know bloat can kill dogs and horses? Sure feels like it could kill me 'Razz'

But I also get bloat if I eat certain foods.

I have a number of prescription medications for the bloating (Bentyl, butylscopolamine, and hymomax). They all quickly stop the bloating. They are IBS medications and derived from nightshade/belladonna.

The Hyomax-SL is a sublingual tablet so works even if my stomach is shut down. I absolutely cannot tolerate the side effects of the Bentyl, and can handle the Hyomax only in tiny dosages ( I have to cut the smallest dose they make in quarters). The scopolamine doesn't cross the "blood/brain barrier" and doesn't cause mental side effects in me. But even in tiny dosages it causes horrible reflux.

Maybe you mileage will vary with these.

Sometimes a heavy dose of ginger tea will break it up, which is what I usually try.

charmed quark

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down