migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Am wondering wether to apply for dissibility living allowance

3 posters

Go down

Am wondering wether to apply for dissibility living allowance Empty Am wondering wether to apply for dissibility living allowance

Post  dizzyflower Thu May 06, 2010 3:51 am

I always thought that this was temporary, that I would manage to control it somehow and go back to work.

But after having to come back from a few hours volunteering with it my only commitment in the week I'm not so sure. People see me out and about and say how nice it is to see me better but then in the same week I will have had probably 4 days in a darkened room and every morning felt too sick to go anywhere near the kitchen, leaving hubby to get breakfast that I may or may not be able to eat.

He is one of the many credit crunched people in the country and has been out of work for a while, so we are both living on my incapacity benefit because the job seekers means test doesn't allow the extra costs that incapacity benefit allows for in extra things for health.

The reality at the moment is on a number of days my hubby is my carer. He looks at jobs and applys for loads, but if he got one I don't think we would manage, and as it is the situation isn't sustainable.

My only hope is that someone comes up with something to make the migraines more manageable, but we are at present both trapped by this, and I just don't know wether going for DLA is a waste of time, would help and have hubby recognised for what he does and make us better off ie able to balance the weekly budget, or if proving DLA needs would make it harder to get back to work if they come up with something, whoever they are.

What do you guys think?

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Am wondering wether to apply for dissibility living allowance Empty Re: Am wondering wether to apply for dissibility living allowance

Post  pen Thu May 06, 2010 5:08 am

HI Di,

I got the forms, as with Fibro I am entitled.
I havent put them in yet, it is a nightmare I know from MAA.

With Fibro which is a constant problem it should be easier, but it isnt.
With Migraine, they insist it is a transient thing and therefore not a disability.

Di, I would suggest, that if you go for it you contact MAA, or Migraine Trust to get some advice.
Unless things have changed very recently (which I hope they have) you will need it.
I tried to get an orange badge because some days I cant walk far.
I was told as I can on other days I wasnt eligible.
I guess I have to stay home on those days....
I think a lot can depend on your GP and what they write.

Good luck,
Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Am wondering wether to apply for dissibility living allowance Empty Re: Am wondering wether to apply for dissibility living allowance

Post  Richard Fri May 07, 2010 4:04 pm

Incredibly tough spot. I will only say that in my experience (USA - California) I am very glad on went for disability and disability retirement when I did - I am simply unable to hold down a job. BUT ... and this is a very BIG "but" ... my income has been slashed with disability and retirement pensions. Slashed and burned. Not being eligible for USA Social Security widower benefits after my husband died was another HEAVY cut to the household budget. If there is ANY possibility of working, you will be better off financially if you are able to work and can find a job.

I know NOTHING about the disability system in the UK. But in the USA one can still work a little AND receive disability payments. Not much work ... but some. AND it is rather easy to get a job and slide off disability when one is able ... if ever. In the USA, you keep getting the USA's Medicare even if your are employed fulltime ... for enough time to get your feet on the ground.

Good luck making this decision. It is tougher than it looks to make this decision. Reading "permanently disabled" on a government letter granting my benefits was a real blow. It hit me hard. Good luck to you.
Richard
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Am wondering wether to apply for dissibility living allowance Empty Am wondering wether to apply for dissibility living alowance

Post  dizzyflower Sat May 08, 2010 5:30 am

The problem at the moment is I can't predict when the migraines are going to effect me. They get me for half the week at the moment and even on my only day of volunteering last week I had to go home in the middle. I can't imagine any employer wanting to employ someone almost permanently feeling this sick, and the effect on me when I try to live like a normal non migrain sufferer is that the migraine symptoms just stack up on me.

It looks like the problem with migraine is for the dissability that it has to be all the time, but surely half the week plus every morning is dissabling?

I wouldn't be considering this if I thought that some luck was round the corner, either a job for hubby or that someone would actually treat me which I've been waiting for since November. But as time goes on even the foods that I used to get to avoid antagonising the migraines are looking too expensive as savings dwindle.

I'm torn between holding onto what I've got, not investing in anyhting that might make me better myself and waiting for my NHS treatment, applying for DLA to help with things I need to make it more bearable. Or using what is left to try and get treatment myself. But if it didn't work I'd have no backup.

I mean it is downright dangerous getting upstairs to get to the bathroom when I'm dizzzy etc, but there is no dowstairs toilet. A friend with a recognised similar level of dissibility that went up and down throughout the day was granted DLA and along with it came an assesment that brought a toilet. She was only entitled for a while as the condition eased when things were put in place to make life easier to manage, but they helped put the things in place that made it easier to manage is you see what I mean.

My income is already low as I cannot work, so if I could get help it would only be a benefit on top of the low income.

I contacted the people that advise on this and they think that if it is worded correctly and supported by the doctor it might be possible, but I have always seen it as a very final thing. Idon't know why though because I know of people who work that get this benefit and they have had help to find that work because they are recognised as dissabled. So it isn;t the end.

Sorry I',m going on a lot.

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Am wondering wether to apply for dissibility living allowance Empty Pen I think it is terrible they wouldn't let you have a badge.

Post  dizzyflower Sat May 08, 2010 5:37 am

I think you should appeal about that. Lots of people are fine some days but others need the car nearby and still have a badge.

A friend had one and he could walk very well some days, and others he really struggled. He was in his 20's so it looked really strange to passers by to see the badge inthe window, but if he got tired part way he would literally limp back. Anyone who every doubted that he needed it in the 1st place would get a sharp response from his doctor but the form would have pointed to him not needing it. He died at 28. It goes to show that the forms don't really have any understanding of what the circumstances are.

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down