migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

anyone using butterbur like me beware not licenced in UK from Di

5 posters

Go down

anyone using butterbur like me beware not licenced in UK from Di Empty anyone using butterbur like me beware not licenced in UK from Di

Post  dizzyflower Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:42 am

Experts warn herbal remedy butterbur can cause liver damage and even organ failure
By LAUREN PAXMAN
Last updated at 4:29 PM on 1st February 2012
Comments (2)

"Dangerous remedy: No products containing butterbur (pictured) have been sanctioned for use in Britain, but they are still being advertised here
Most of us see herbal remedies as a safe way to medicate, with few side effects.
But if they contain an unlicensed ingredient called butterbur, they could cause serious liver damage or even organ failure, experts have warned.
The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has urged British herbal shops to remove products containing butterbur - also called Petasites hybridus - from their shelves.
Butterbur is normally used to treat migraines, but it contains pyrrolizidine alkaloids, which studies have shown can cause serious liver damage and organ failure.
Currently, no products containing the ingredient have been sanctioned for use in Britain under the Traditional Herbal Registration Scheme. Several other European countries have also banned it.
However, the MHRA said products containing butterbur are currently being marketed in the UK. And while no adverse reactions to it have been reported here, cases of liver toxicity have been reported elsewhere in Europe.

More...
Universal flu vaccine 'could be available in just five years'
A daily can of diet fizzy drink 'increases risk of heart attack or stroke'
The MHRA advised people who take herbal remedies to check products for a THR number on the label, which shows that they have been licensed for use in the UK.
MHRA head of herbal policy Richard Woodfield said: 'We advise anyone taking these products to stop doing so.
'If you have any concerns, speak to your GP or pharmacist. If you think you have suffered a side effect from these products, tell us through our reporting system called the Yellow Card Scheme.

Short-term solution, long-term problem: Butterbur is normally used to treat migraines, but it contains pyrrolizidine alkaloids, which studies have shown can cause serious liver damage and organ failure.
'When looking for herbal medicines, you should look for herbal products that have a traditional herbal registration or a product licence, so that you can be confident the product has been assessed as meeting appropriate safety standards, and has the necessary patient information.
'Some unlicensed herbal medicines can pose a serious risk to your health. We will continue to take regulatory action against herbal medicines not marketed within the Traditional Herbal Registration Scheme.'"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2094948/Experts-warn-herbal-remedy-butterbur-cause-liver-damage-organ-failure.html#ixzz1mdOMTJaa

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

anyone using butterbur like me beware not licenced in UK from Di Empty butterbur

Post  dizzyflower Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:46 am

I will be having a chat with my doctor about this as I could have done some damage. Last year I had a lot of water retention and my liver and kidneys ached. We blamed an infection at first, then I thought it was the other meds given by my neuro which has this as possible side effects. I thought the natural stuff was safe. Fortunately I stopped the butterbur ready for the new prescription that I expected in December.

best wishes.
Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

anyone using butterbur like me beware not licenced in UK from Di Empty Re: anyone using butterbur like me beware not licenced in UK from Di

Post  mattie Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:31 am

My dr gave me Purple Butterbur to try. It states on the bottle that it is free of harmful levels of pyrrolizidine alkaloids. Do you think it is safe to take? I haven't taken any of them yet. Thanks.

mattie

Back to top Go down

anyone using butterbur like me beware not licenced in UK from Di Empty I'm wondering too

Post  Mig_rainy Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:07 pm

I was also wondering whether Petadolex, (butterbur), which also claims to be free of the toxins that affect the liver, is still considered safe. Can anyone clarify? I'm hoping that the warning put out only concerns pure butterbur supplements that are not free of pyrrolizidine alkaloids. I've taken Petadolex now for six months, and it has made a real difference in my migraines.

Mig_rainy

Back to top Go down

anyone using butterbur like me beware not licenced in UK from Di Empty I don't know what to think on this one.

Post  dizzyflower Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:39 am

there was another bit of this article in the paper that says something along the lines that it is because some have dangerous levels, making me wonder if they mean that there are some that might not be recognised but are OK. They don't mention brand names which isn't very helpful is it? i'm not sure how we can find out about this. I was convinced that the first pack of butterbur was helping me, but the second bottle was around when I stared up with some problems with pain in kidneys area and I was suffering from extreme water retention. It coincided with another medication at the time, and now I don't know which to blame considering the medication considers this to be a low risk. So at the moment i'm not taking anything and I am getting stuck in darkened rooms again.

I hope someone does manage to find out about this so we know what is safe.

best wishes
Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

anyone using butterbur like me beware not licenced in UK from Di Empty has anyone found any updates?

Post  dizzyflower Fri May 04, 2012 7:41 am

I have asked the doctor about this and the neurologist now. I am now off the latest medications prescribed by the neurologist so thought I would try this again but can't seem to get any butterbur, or petadolex in the UK does anyone know what is happening about it? I have tried buying it online through amazon.com but it won't deliver to UK.

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

anyone using butterbur like me beware not licenced in UK from Di Empty Re: anyone using butterbur like me beware not licenced in UK from Di

Post  Jewishmother Fri May 04, 2012 10:06 am

My husband is a chemist and did some research on butterbur............. petadolex is the butterbur preparation that is used in clinical trials and is the one that serious clinical studies use because it is a consistent preparation that is free of the pyrrolizidine alkaloid. I ordered a bottle online and I have an appointment next week with my doc to talk about it.
Jewishmother
Jewishmother

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Fri May 04, 2012 10:45 pm

My understanding is that Petrodolax is the only one that is safe. I may give it a try again. I understand that butterbur is on the new list of things nuerologists have found that work.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down