migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Inability to focus or lack of attention due to migraine or triptans?

+6
CluelessKitty
Paradox
BaadDawg
Olee
tecky
SEB
10 posters

Go down

Inability to focus or lack of attention due to migraine or triptans? Empty Inability to focus or lack of attention due to migraine or triptans?

Post  SEB Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:33 pm

I went to bed last night with a migraine, took Zomig and finally fell asleep. Woke up with it coming back full force; drank coffee, took exedrin, and other tricks we all have tried rather then "cave" and take the meds. Needless to say I ended up taking more Zomig, and finally the pain and other symptoms receded.

I have a question for others...I notice that even though the pain and other symptoms are gone, and I have taken a nap so am not overly tired, I still seem to be unable to follow through on a task.

I wanted to get some cleaning done today, make some Xmas cookies, get the xmas tree up, etc. But each time I would start on a task I find myself within about 10 minutes just unable to follow through. Not sure how to explain it, it's not because I am too tired I don't think...it's more like an inability to focus for too long on any one thing. I don't have ADHD or anything and this only seems to happen on bad migraine days, once the migraine recedes. Is this the after effects of the migraines or the triptans or is this just me? Does anyone else have this happen?

SEB

Back to top Go down

Inability to focus or lack of attention due to migraine or triptans? Empty Re: Inability to focus or lack of attention due to migraine or triptans?

Post  tecky Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:39 am

For me, it's the migraine itself. Just one of the many symptoms that come along with the migraine. The pain alters the brain chemistry enough to make it difficult to focus, makes my stupid, and tired. I think it's the body's attempt to make you slow down and rest.

Becky Sad
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Inability to focus or lack of attention due to migraine or triptans? Empty Re: Inability to focus or lack of attention due to migraine or triptans?

Post  Olee Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:48 am

Becky
I come away feeling exhausted after the pain has ceased. My head actually feels sore and I'm a little slow in thinking at least for a few hours after the pain subsides. Interesting concept that your body is making you slow down and rest.
Olee
Olee

Back to top Go down

Post  BaadDawg Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:49 pm

After a really nasty migraine I am a zombie for almost 24 hours AFTER the pain goes away. I am exactly the same whether or not I take pain meds. Mostly I don't take any abort meds simply because I get less headaches and M's that way (although I still get them way too much). During the migraine I am practically useless. The wipeout out effect is a neurological symptom.

BaadDawg

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:36 pm

I seldom take triptans, they're just not effective, but every so often I'll take one...hoping.

After a bad bout with a m I feel tired and groggy. I know it's not the vicoprofen because I also take that for my back pain and it never leaves me feeling that way.

I just almost feel hungover drunken and dragging. Very much like my polar bear!

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:46 pm

It could be both, for me personally it's more M than triptans.

I often noticed that the more severe M the more difficulty with thinking.
Because sometimes I take the same amount of pills for lesser M and I am not as much confused as with more severe M.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Inability to focus or lack of attention due to migraine or triptans? Empty grateful for triptans

Post  crt Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:35 am

Triptans allow me to be able to work. I certainly can't focus very well with a migraine, but if I feel one coming on while I'm at work, I take a Maxalt and in an hour or less I am able to take on even the most difficult task. Without Maxalt, I don't have a chance of being able to think.

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  SEB Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:03 pm

The triptans have saved me countless times at work - without triptans I would not be able to stay at work at all. I figured out last year I lost about a week total due to migraines. Without triptans that would be far, far higher.

I had a migraine Friday night and noticed too that things that matter to me when I don't have a migraine (even if it's nothing major) become far less important with a migraine. Not sure I am explaining that right. When I come out on the other side and feel normal again I look around and go, "oh!" and take care of things or make the phone calls, etc. that just ceased to matter.

SEB

Back to top Go down

Post  Mule Kick Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:05 pm

According to the new migraine book that I am currently reading, there are four stages to a migraine attack.

1. Prodrome
2. Aura
3. The pain phase (the headache and nausea, e.g.)
4. Postdrome, or migraine hanover drunken

Perhaps what you are describing is part of the postdrome.
Mule Kick
Mule Kick

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:38 pm

This year has been a bad one for me. I've never been like this before.
I've always had migraines before, but only once or twice a month. I'm bordering
on daily now. I'd say a fair 4 or 5 times a week for the last 5 or so months.

Christmas has always been very special to me. I have always loved the season, loved the snow.
I really get into the tree thing and decorating, especially now that I have a child.

This year, I have not thought pleasantly of Christmas once yet. This entire season I have thought
it was a gigantic chore. I do have a lot going on in my life, and concider myself to be in a slump,
maybe even depressed (trying to be optimistic things will get better), but even daily chores are
daunting to me. I had never been like this before the frequency in migraines increased.

I really think there's a definite link between the two. Sure, there are other things that exasperate
my lack of desire to do much of anything, but I think some of those things also stem from the severe
pain and frustration I'm getting from the M's.
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  SEB Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:41 pm

Yes, I forget about the post migraine stage, migraine hangover is a good way of putting it. And I too have felt blah this holiday season, I think the migraines play a roll in that. I woke up with one Christmas morning and I get so tired of saying "I have a migraine" that I tried not to tell anyone on Xmas. But when you have to do the whole Xmas thing...cooking, cleaning, eating, visiting, etc. well I did end up saying "sorry, had a migraine and took my meds" so they'd know why I seemed like I was half out of it at times. I am pretty good at covering it up but all day can be hard. Sorry to read that so many of us had migraines on Xmas; try as we might to not let it put a damper on things sometimes it gets the best of us.

SEB

Back to top Go down

Post  darde Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:43 pm

I sometimes feel and act and sound confused. I have read it is a symptom of the migraine itself.

darde

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down