migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

inability to sympathesize

2 posters

Go down

inability to sympathesize  Empty inability to sympathesize

Post  mattie Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:52 am

I've been experiencing migraines, vertigo, seizures, syncope, arthritis etc for 50 + years. We all know how the pain of M can be debilitating from hours to days.

Sometimes my DH or a friend tells me they have an unbearable pain in their knee that keeps them from getting on with their life. I find I have no sympathy for them at all. I'm thinking I wish that was the only pain I had & what big babies they are. Of course I don't say that. I know everyone has a different pain tolerance.

Have any of you ever gotten to that point of no sympathy toward others unless it is a major illness? Thanks.

mattie

Back to top Go down

inability to sympathesize  Empty Re: inability to sympathesize

Post  Cathy Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:58 am

Absolutely. I find I have to make myself say the sympathizing things and remind myself that to them, their pain is very real. Especially because those of us with migraines tend to hide our pain and "soldier on" and they might not realize how bad we really are. It's one of the many things we deal with.

Someone willl say, "Wow I have one of your headaches" and I look at them and they're running around not seeming to be in any pain and I have to make myself say, "Oh, what a shame," or some other expression of sympathy. You are certainly not alone in how you feel. I often hear people complain and wish my life were that good. They just don't know. Sad

Cathy

Back to top Go down

Post  mattie Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:22 am

Thanks for your reply. I've seen how horrible I look when I have a M and as you mentioned I continue to keep moving forward. You would think others, especially our family, could tell by looking at us that we are in misery but mine doesn't seem to notice. LOL!

mattie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down