migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chocolate causes depression

+4
Richard
estre004
alli
Senna
8 posters

Go down

Chocolate causes depression Empty Chocolate causes depression

Post  Senna Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:02 am

There is a subject that I am sure will have some people reach for another bar in desperation:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8644016.stm

Is eating chcolate making you feel depressed, or happy - there is a million dollar question for you.

Science shows that the more you eat it, the more depressed you become.
Hmmm...Is it true? Or not?

Senna

Senna

Back to top Go down

Chocolate causes depression Empty Re: Chocolate causes depression

Post  alli Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:18 am

I absolutely do NOT believe that. Chocolate makes me feel better when I've had a crappy day.
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:27 am

Maybe it is because more depressive people to start with grab chocolate to make them feel better.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Senna Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:34 am

Well, it sorts of make sense - alcohol makes you feel better immediately, but it is a depressant.
You feel better when you drink it, but the next day you feel down, so you have some more alcohol in order to stop feeling depressed. You feel happy again.

It makes you happy in short term, but it has an overall effect of being depressive.
The same can be true with chocolate.

I have no opinion on chocolate and happiness, since I never eat it - I dislike the flavour. Hate the smell of it as well.

Senna

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:47 am

A little light bulb just went off in my head. Just like we all respond to our medications differently, I'm wondering if so-called depressants (like alcohol) are not necessarily depressants for everyone but the opposite. Drugs to slow down overactiive people actually keep others hopping. Same with narcotics. I was told to take them to doze off when the pain was unbearable but they do the opposite and keep me awake. What just occurred to me was that anti-depressants actually make some suicidal. Maybe they are doing the opposite of what they are suppose to be doing and making those people even more depressed.

Chocolate probably is a mood booster for a lot of people and maybe a depressant for others.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:52 am

Estre, that makes a lot of sense. Chocolate ... I used to consume a lot ... especially after yall posted that 5 minute chocolate cake recipe! but these days, not so much. I don't remember chocolate being a mood depressant or an elevator. Just tasty good! Hmmm .... perhaps a chocolate milkshake for lunch?
Richard
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:14 am

As we all keep reminding ourselves. We are all different.

Different strokes and all that....

If only one size fit all... No

pen

Back to top Go down

Chocolate causes depression Empty no way

Post  crt Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:11 pm

Chocolate always makes me feel better. But then I'm not a depressed person to begin with. Twisted with a dark sense of humor, worried, anxious, irreverent, cynical - but depressed, very rarely.

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  Chairish1976 Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:34 am

All I know is a good godaiva milk chocolate bar makes me happy. An old, melted hershey's chocolate bar that tastes like soap makes me very unhappy. I think it depends on the brand and state of meltedness lol!
Chairish1976
Chairish1976

Back to top Go down

Post  Senna Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:47 pm

Actually this is a serious research, about long term effects of eating chocolate.
Researchers have discovered that chockolate is a depressant, which means that eating it on a regular basist can in fact be a cause of a depression, no matter how happy you feel immediately after eating it.

Senna

Senna

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:07 pm

Alcohol is also a depressant. I have to declare that it has never depressed me. The only thing that has ever depressed me is Topamax. Otherwise, I am a happy go lucky person no matter how much chocolate, alcohol and various other depressants I have taken over the years. This is not an argument from me. Just facts about me. They can call anything they want whatever they want. The conclusion is how it affects us.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:36 pm

Just told my daughters about this theory
I am too polite to write their comments... lol!

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Senna Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:59 am

Estree, you are obviously only an occasional user of chocolate, or alcohol so there is obviously no danger in that, and you are not affected.

I think the depressive effect of some substances happens mainly for regular, or excessive users of any such substances.

These are the people who often find it difficult to give up the regular use - and can feel very threatened when moderation is recomended.

Obviously there is a reason why the word chocoholic (such a popular word here) might sound so similar to alcoholic? Makes you wonder doesn't it?

Senna

Senna

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:40 am

What a bunch of poppycock. I eat chocolate everyday and love it. No depression here. I will say that any study can come to any conclusion. I could correlate the rate to which my dogs bark to when I get migraines and conclude that when they bark I have an M. Means absolutely nothing....
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:08 am

HeelerLady wrote:What a bunch of poppycock. I eat chocolate everyday and love it. No depression here. I will say that any study can come to any conclusion. I could correlate the rate to which my dogs bark to when I get migraines and conclude that when they bark I have an M. Means absolutely nothing....

I can only concur......my dog does that too Becky.....well she growls.
I think we should start a study.... lol!

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Senna Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:45 pm

No wonder you get so many - all this noisy barking and doing medical research concerning chocoalte, at the same time, would give anyone a lots of migraines - Wooof, Wooof.

Senna

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down