migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Symptoms of different kinds of stroke?

5 posters

Go down

Symptoms of different kinds of stroke? Empty Symptoms of different kinds of stroke?

Post  Chairish1976 Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:40 am

Marion just reminded me that I've been wanting to research this more for the past few months. I hate migraine's effect on memory. Every time I get one, it feels like I 'reset' my task list and can't remember a damn thing I was thinking of or doing before then.

Anyhow, what are common symptoms to watch for and take to my doctor versus things that are just drug side effects, or more migraine issues?

About a month ago, right after I started on amitryptaline, I had an episode during a severe migraine that I almost forgot about. It felt like how it would seem being electrocuted would feel, except there was nothing near me to cause it. I was in bed lying on my back, desperately trying to sleep off the attack. For a moment, my body from head to toe just locked up and I felt (not heard) a loud buzzing for about a second. It felt like a pause in all brain activity for that second, then my body loosened up again and I was just left with "holy %#!^, what the hell was that?" feeling. But my migraine was so intense, I just grabbed my head, rolled on to my side, and fell asleep shortly after. The attack was so excruciating, I think I was wishing it would kill me, whatever it was. But I woke up about 6 hours later and the migraine had passed, and just felt lightheaded like I had been hit on the head recently. I forgot about it until Marion mentioned stroke in another thread. Was that what happens, or was it something else?
Chairish1976
Chairish1976

Back to top Go down

Symptoms of different kinds of stroke? Empty Re: Symptoms of different kinds of stroke?

Post  estre004 Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:41 am

You would have to have an MRI in order to rule out stroke. What a scare that must have been. Migraines are sure bizarre. I had a migraine cause a stroke about 10 years ago. I lost my peripheral vision for about 30 seconds. I was on my way to a migraine appointment with a horrible migraine. They just passed it off as a symptom of the migraine. Another doctor got wind of it on a second visit and had an MRI ordered. Sure enough I had had a stroke. Without the MRI, I never would have known. A lot of people have strokes without knowing it especially if they do not have any permanent damage.The problem is that if the cause of the stroke isn't diagnosed and treated, you could have another. The cause of mine after ruling everything else out was migraine. Now I am just extra careful to avoid migraines at all costs. That means taking abortives even if I have just the slightest inkling that a migraine is coming.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Symptoms of different kinds of stroke? Empty Re: Symptoms of different kinds of stroke?

Post  Zekses Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:22 pm

A few years ago I had an episode, that I`m not sure is related to migraine, but it can be so I`ll share anyway.

Was a pretty good day - no migraine(I`m pretty sure of it), or rather, pretty good night, as the time I`m telling about was when I woke up for a natural call. I certainly remember me standing there doing the thing ... then it`s blank until I awake lying in corridor my mom shouting at me to wake up. As she tells - she heard a loud scream and rushed out of her room and there I was lying on the floor.

From the distance between the toilet and the place I awoke I estimate that about at least 15-20 seconds of my life were permanently erased from my memory (the scream included). Even though I could probably remember what it was ... if I really tried to concentrate ... I`m just too afraid. Even 10/10 level migraine won`t make me scream >_< I DON`T want to remember >_<
Zekses
Zekses

Back to top Go down

Post  Stillhurtin Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:20 pm

Chairish
I have had that happen a few times. Sooooo scary. And u described it perfectly. Not really pain or a sound buzzing but a buzz you feel throughtout your entire body. Like a short circuit moment. Sooo creepy. I personally have stopped trying to figure out different symptoms. Soo much work and never much help Sad

I always just check my smile and repeat things to rule out stroke.
Good luck!
Stillhurtin
Stillhurtin

Back to top Go down

Post  Chairish1976 Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:09 am

Stillhurtin wrote:Chairish
I have had that happen a few times. Sooooo scary. And u described it perfectly. Not really pain or a sound buzzing but a buzz you feel throughtout your entire body. Like a short circuit moment. Sooo creepy. I personally have stopped trying to figure out different symptoms. Soo much work and never much help Sad

I always just check my smile and repeat things to rule out stroke.
Good luck!

Yeah, exactly. Felt like I was some sort of machine about to short out or something. Never had anything like that in my entire life. But I guess new symptoms creep up on us sometimes. I hope that was the first and last time that ever happens.
Chairish1976
Chairish1976

Back to top Go down

Post  hpilgrim Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:23 pm

Wow- I had that exact thing happen to me back in January... scared the you-know out of me! I was just quietly reading a book in bed, and zaaaaap...

My kids were in the other room, and I called them and told them where my will and life ins info was - that was how scared I was...

I had an MRI after that, and it showed nothing....
ever since that day I have had a 'buzz' in my head, and am dizzy, some days more than others...
I know something happened, but what? My doctor and Neuro both said "can't find anything" and "don't know" ARRGGG.....

I am still afraid I will have a stroke soon....

Holly
hpilgrim
hpilgrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down