migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is the ignorance that makes our lives even more miserable.

+4
Richard
pen
HeelerLady
Brent
8 posters

Go down

This is the ignorance that makes our lives even more miserable. Empty This is the ignorance that makes our lives even more miserable.

Post  Brent Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:59 pm

I really hope this ignoramus is not a doctor that deals with patients. He needs a psychiatric doctor himself.

This is a sample of what makes our uncomfortable lives even worse. It's the ignorance, apathy and aloofness of people we have to deal with.

Just check out this discussion forum on a FaceBook migraine page.

(This won't hyper link so it has tobe copy-pasted into the address line)

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#!/topic.php?uid=2260202014&topic=11786

He could so easily just say "I'm glad you got relief and I hope others don't have to experience that".

But no he has to go on and on spewing out pure BS (Bovine Scatology) thinking that he will come off looking so intelligent.

I just keep baiting him and giving him more rope to hang himself. That way everyone else on that forum will completely ignore him.

Then again since no one else is chiming in they may already be more then aware of him.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

This is the ignorance that makes our lives even more miserable. Empty Re: This is the ignorance that makes our lives even more miserable.

Post  HeelerLady Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:01 am

What a total troll! I know I read this in the past - before you had surgery and wanted to share with others what was found so others would be aware.

That guy - complete and total jacka$$! Sad thing is you always seem to run across one or two no matter the forum.

So glad you've found relief even though it was a bit of drastic measures. Smile
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

This is the ignorance that makes our lives even more miserable. Empty Re: This is the ignorance that makes our lives even more miserable.

Post  pen Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:25 am

I bumped into him on facebook on another page. He is an arrogant ignoramus who just likes confrontation.
He isnt worth your time Brent.
I know from the previous encounter he will never give up (like Churchill)
He joined my group, but i blocked him.
BTW you are very welcome.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:08 am

Real glad the surgery brought you relief!!! and remember my Dad's motto: Non Corumdum Illigitimi - "Don't let the basterds get you down!"
Richard
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

This is the ignorance that makes our lives even more miserable. Empty Brent

Post  Guest Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:44 am

Well, I'm afraid to read it as I don't want to get all worked up on top of every else. But, oh do I know how ingorant people can be in certain matters. Here is what I do when I come accross upsetting people online. I delete them. It gives me a cetain sense of power. And a wonderful sense of closure.

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:54 am

I got my message across and let him show his obnoxious colors to everyone else there. He uses enough fancy words that someone could start following him and taking his advise. If he's a doctor then I hope his mig patients left him before they got worse. That is a perfect snap shot of what a lot of us have to deal with when we see the average neurologist. Certainly around my area in Western WA.

I am pretty sure if he showed up on any other non FB mig forums he would be shut down fast. Or maybe if he got blasted enough by others he would go elsewhere.

99% of us work hard to keep mig forums supportive and beneficial. People like him detract and ruin the concept.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

This is the ignorance that makes our lives even more miserable. Empty Brent

Post  Guest Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:00 pm

What is it that makes some neurologist's so ignorant? I saw one a few years ago. During one appointment I said something I have never said before. I told him that these headaches were making me feel suicidal. He asked me if I had a pyschiatrist. I said yes, but, he was in another city and I couldn't get there. He then finished his notes and the appointment was over. And that was that.

Back to top Go down

Post  moominamy Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:08 pm

I like the way you held your own there Brent (so to speak).

As to what makes some neuros so ignorant, I think it lies in the old tradition of the dr with a God complex. If they are suddenly faced with something outside their capabilities then it is easy to blame the patient and so absolve themselves of any worry about their own healing prowess. It's most refreshing to hear a dr say "I don't know what to do, but I'll look into it / give it some thought", but some are just unable to accept they aren't able to work miracles.

Gail - sorry to hear of that experience. How dreadful of a dr to do that to a patient. Sounds pretty negligent to me too.

Amy

moominamy

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:04 pm

I had a neuro refer me to psychiatrist after the second preventive med didn't work. Hows that for patience! He decides that since his second pet med didn't work it had to be psychological.

But he was one of three neuros I sent a letter to explaining that their diagnosis was wrong and they should listen to their patients better. I even gave them the name and phone number of my ENT doc so they could confirm it. All the neuros in my region are old, burned out, apathetic and indifferent. I went to "rate your doctor" and looked up almost all of them and their patient review showed they all mostly sucked.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:52 pm

Brent wrote:I went to "rate your doctor" and looked up almost all of them and their patient review showed they all mostly sucked.

Brent - just curious, but what site did you use? I did a vague google search for those kind of sites and came up with a variety of things. None were very helpful.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:03 pm

Hi All,

I know that sinus problems can trigger some migraines and that, in some cases, surgery may be indicated. However, this is certainly not a cure all. His pain may have been caused by the sinus problems- still it is strange that it was overlooked by three radiologists. (My father is a radiologist} After breaking my nose three times, I had a clear deviated septum- visible on x-ray- read by a well known radiologist, the ENT, my father, and the plastic surgeon who eventuatlly corrected the problem. Strange that the sinus issue was missed by so many doctors. If the migraines were bad- I expect it would have been visible on other tests as well.

When my septum was finally corrected, i had a very narrow space to breathe in my right nostril. Though the surgery corrected this problem. it did nothing for my headaches.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:59 pm

Sailing Muffin, I am certain that if your father was the radiologist who reviewed the data, Brent's problem would have been corrected years ago. I have a lot of faith in your parents. Honestly. I know it must be breaking their hearts that they can't "fix" their beloved daughter. It would kill me in their shoes.

It does not surprise me that your deviated septum repair did nothing to control your headaches and other symptoms - your case is tough and difficult - how's the fainting?

I am just REAL glad that Brent found some relief AND I am taking him at his word. I like it when people don't second guess me, so I don't second guess others.
Richard
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:11 am

Hi All,

Richard, thanks so much for your kind words. My father was really upset/sad for the first two years of migraine. Migraines run in his family and for some reason he felt the whole thing was his "fault." It isn't. I finally told him, as did my mother and things slowly got better. It practically killed them that with years of medical training at the two of the best schools in the country (Dad went to Cornell Medical School; Mom went to Hopkins and both did residency at Hopkins} Neither could "fix" me. Still, even though we disagree at times, I am very lucky to have a supportive family.

I am glad Brent's surgery helped his migraines. I certainly hoped the septum correction would help mine. I understand that if something works and you are free from pain you want to tell the world. However, everyone is different and with all the medical knowledge at our disposal- we still haven't pinpointed the exact cause of migraine or the best treatments- though I hope we will get there.

The fainting is still bad. I have some good days and some bad ones. I have found that walking with a walking stick really helps. My roommate made a great one for me and if i have to go somewhere where it might stand out- I take a nice looking umbrella. (If its really hot out side- I pass it off as a parasol} I am also applying to get a service dog to help with fainting. My beloved max is a good helper, but I can't take him away from my father. I recently discovered that the medication I was taking to prevent fainting was doing nothing at all. So I got off everything except some breakthrough pain medication because nothing-not even long acting pain medication was doing anything. So the fainting is somewhat better- only up to 5 a day rather than the 1O or fifteen I was having.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:01 am

Brent,
are you sure that this is a real physician?
Unfortunately, on the net there are so many sick minds and identity stealers that I would not be surprised that this guy is only a jerk who plays to be a doctor.
If you were here 5/6 years ago, you might remember that there was a (german?) guy who pretended to be a doctor and who attacked us on any front. He probably had some medical expertise, or simply was good at picking up medical information. But he was a faker and a very annoying presence.

Don't give him any more of your time and energy, I feel that this is exactly what he's looking for: FIGHT. There are insane people who need to argue and have verbal fights to feel someone. Frustation may lead to this, so I guess he's just a poor sick mind.

Bye
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:40 am

Wow That guy is a real jerk. Not only for hijacking your thread but to go on and on about how there is no correlation between migraine attacks and barometric changes. What a doofus. It is now well known that the barometer affects not only migrainers, but people with arthritis, fibromyalgia, rheumatism, etc. We even know how.

He sounds like one of those no it all idjits that just have to ride thier opinion into the ground. Can't admit he's wrong.
Alli
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:44 am

He won't admit to being a doc but I have no idea why he has a stick up his you know what about sinus/barometer pain. I baited him just enough that the others on that FB forum will see that he is a complete bozo with no credibility. I gave him the rope and he hung himself.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

This is the ignorance that makes our lives even more miserable. Empty Hmmmm

Post  Guest Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:58 pm

Here is something I heard on the news a while back. Don't kill the messenger....they said that they now knew that it was not the barometric changes the affected migraines. But it is temperature changes. What can I say.....

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:20 pm

Gail - do you remember where you heard that?

Because temperature changes don't bother me (other than higher temps make me even more miserable) but pressure changes oh yeah. I'm in day 2 of h e l l from a front that started getting close yesterday and is hanging out over me today. I'm hoping that by tomorrow things calm down but am just miserable. I can now predict my bad days 9 times out of 10 - the odd 1 is when a front doesn't look close enough but the pressure drops in advance of it or has lingered when it looks like it should have passed.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:07 pm

If you have a closed off sinus a pressure drop will cause it to expand. Our skulls have no room for any expansion so the pressure will cause immediate pain. My ENT doc also said he quite often see's sinus pain triggering migs from the severe trigeminal nerve irritation.

I don't buy the temp change explanation. If that was the case then every time we went inside or outside our house in the winter we would have a mig. Or even in the summer going from an air conditioned house or building back outside.

last summer we had a whole string of 90 plus deg days and my air conditioned house was at 68 deg. Air temp changes from weather are far more gradual then us walking outside.

Think about it.......you go from a 70 deg house to outside where it could be freezing or below. A 40-50 deg drop in just seconds. I have never experienced any association between migs and temp changes. And I live in a very mild climate compared to most of the US.

Or for that matter each time we jumped into the shower going from 70 deg to 102 or higher water temp.

People with bursitis also blame the weather or dampness. If the bursa "pillows" in our shoulder don't pressure equalize then a pressure drop produces expansion. AKA pain.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

This is the ignorance that makes our lives even more miserable. Empty Hi Heelerlady

Post  Guest Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:21 pm

I'm in Canada. I heard this either on the CBC television news or the CTV television news. I really only remember it as I was surprised by it. And thought gee we've been told the wrong thing all this time. And I remember wondering how much of a temperature change they were talking about. Now where they got this new info I don't recall. As most people here I had been told by my doctor that barometric chanages affect headaches. I had never heard of temperature changes doing so. Something to look into.

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:39 pm

Just the logic of it makes no sense. We subject ourselves to multiple temp changes every day.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down