migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Histamines and Headaches

+2
dcook60
pen
6 posters

Go down

Histamines and Headaches Empty Histamines and Headaches

Post  Guest Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:28 pm

Would anyone give me some feedback on the use of antihistamines for headaches? Has anyone found any help this way? Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Histamines and Headaches Empty Re: Histamines and Headaches

Post  pen Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:33 pm

I havent used them, but our Migraine association here is very keen on them for the kind of headaches that people usually get in the spring due to pollen etc. I am told they can work very well.

There is this on the old forum

http://www.migrainepage.com/dcforum/discussion/307.html

pen

Back to top Go down

Histamines and Headaches Empty Thankyou

Post  Guest Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:55 pm

Thankyou for your input. Gail

Back to top Go down

Histamines and Headaches Empty antihistamines

Post  dcook60 Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:42 pm

i've taken one antihistamine or another almost every night of my life for years. most of them cause drowsiness, which is why i take them. if i sleep, my reallyreallybad headaches are fewer.

having had 5 overnight sleep studies, i know that i am cursed with three sleep disorders. all remain untreated, because i cannot stand the breathing machines nor the drugs.....so i depend on the antihistamines. if i sleep, life is definitely better.

the ones i take (alternately, but sometimes 2 together) are vistaril, phenergan (generics) and benadryl, which is an otc. i bought some zyrtec generic at costco, and will have the courage to try it soon.

probably because of my other diagnosis of fibromyalgia, i react badly to many many drugs, so i'm always thrilled when i find one i can take without feeling a lot worse. dianne
dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

Histamines and Headaches Empty Dianne

Post  Guest Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:53 pm

I re-act very badly to many, many drugs as well. But who knows why. I don't know and my dr. doesn't seem to know. It just is. So I understand you when you say you will have the "courage" to try it soon. It certainly does take courage doesn't it. It will take courage for me to try the antihistamine. If I do. I will try. Be well: Gail

Back to top Go down

Histamines and Headaches Empty Histamines and Headaches

Post  Cindy*W Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:36 pm

I remember years ago taking Singular for awhile just to see if it helped me any.

It didn't help so we discontinued it.

Often times just before and sometimes during a bad migraine, I get a runny nose, watery eyes, and swelling of the eyes often too.

Maybe I need to try a antihistamine again.

I see the Doctor next week, I think I will ask what he thinks.

Thanks for posting this.

Will let you know what he says.

Cindy
Cindy*W
Cindy*W

Back to top Go down

Histamines and Headaches Empty histameane and HA

Post  rileyoday Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:18 am

My sister uses that and dark quite room for relief, couple hours she ready to go.... bad part of that is she thinks mine should respond likewise. try it gail, others report some relief

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:57 am

I take antihistimines as needed for allergies as they trigger migraines. most of the time I take one in the morning and again at night. I was lucky this winter not to need them too much but I am back to the twice a day regimine. It helps quite a bit as my sinuses swell with allergy attacks and with some migraine attacks. As soon as I feel my sinuses swell I take one. I don't wait to see if any pain starts as I've learned that waiting only leads to pain. I take Zyrek but Benedryl works well too and it is super cheap especially if you buy the generic.

Alli
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:53 pm

I'm probably an exception, Antihistamines actually made my migraines worse. I think it might have been my not drinking enough fluid when taking them, dehydration is one of many triggers for me. Also I've read that over time Antihistamines lose their effectiveness and that one way around that is to have your Dr. switch which ones you take.

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:16 pm

Hi All,

Antihistimines- especially benedryl- work quite well for me. I first had them at MHNI- I am not sure why, but they seem to help some migraines. One dr there told me that it was hard to get the oral doses high enough to be effective for migraine. Later, my neurologist prescribed 100mgs of benedryl along with some pain medication to ease the pain till I could get to his office the next day. (He was trying to keep me out of the ER.) I have used this approach on occaision, when the headache was really bad. When the headache gets really bad, I get an IV of Benedryl, Phenergan, Depakan and a pain medication at the IV center. I think one reason doctors use it is that it does make you a little sleepy and it can help some medication work a little better.

As always, what works for one person may not work for another.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down