migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fred the basset - R.I.P.

+15
estre004
ajr
Almostangela
alli
LizzieB
theresae
Cindy*W
crt
CluelessKitty
AuntieBubbs
LG
Richard
moominamy
HeelerLady
Paradox
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fred the basset - R.I.P. Empty Fred the basset - R.I.P.

Post  Paradox Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:53 pm

We had to put our dear Fred-boy down today. He was almost 16.

We adopted him when he was 10. We weren't planning on getting another dog, but my friend, who was his foster mom called me when she found out we had moved and had 5 acres. She had been fostering him for 9 months. No one wanted to adopt him since he was so old. She said he was the best basset she had ever fostered.

I thought it would be nice to have a dog of my own. Every member in our family had a pup that was "theirs". It didn't work out that way. From the second Freddie laid eyes on hubby, Fred was in love.

The first summer he would even follow the lawn mower to be close to his man. The next year he decided it was okay to just supervise from the porch.

Every night when HUbby came home Fred would race down the driveway to greet him, ears flapping as he ran. Then when hubby got out of the truck he would do his happy dance, round and round in circles. Even when his back leg became partially paralyzed he would do his happy dance, he'd fall down and just get up to do it again.

This week he quit doing his happy dance.

Every night from 1:00 am to 4:00 am he would stand in the driveway barking into the woods (we don't have any neighbors for miles). Even after he was mostly blind and completely deaf he would stand vigil, barking, protecting us from goblins. This winter when it was so cold he wised up and stood in the mud room with his head out the doggie door from 1-4.

He quit doing it three nights ago.

It was time...yesterday his breathing became very labored and the vet believes he had a stroke.

Even at the end he was a perfect gentleman. When they shaved his leg, he just tucked his head into the crook of my arm and hid his face. He kept it there til the end.

We'll get his ashes back next week. I'm going to spread them along the woodline so that he can continue to protect his people from all the monsters that lurk there.

My heart is breaking.

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Fred the basset - R.I.P. Empty Re: Fred the basset - R.I.P.

Post  HeelerLady Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:04 pm

Charlotte,

My heart is breaking with you...I don't know the right words to say but I wish I knew something that would ease your pain. You and your husband gave him a wonderful 6 years and it's obvious he loved both of you in return. Bless both of you for opening your hearts to him.

You are in my thoughts and prayers,

Becky
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  moominamy Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:06 pm

How heartbreaking for you and your family. I love your description of him and his character; what a cutie!

Big hugs

Amy

moominamy

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:53 pm

Very few things on here bring tears to my eyes ... but your telling of that great dog has me welled up. My best to you and your husbaund as you grieve.

If it is any consolation, I am convinced that my Steve is spending his time waiting for me by taking care of the cats and special doggies who are awaiting their masters and mistresses. Fred is with my Steve now and is just waiting for your husband to join him so he can do his happy dance again. My Steve will take real good care of Fred until yall take over. Now that your beloved doggie is in good hands for now.

All my best and all my sympathy to you both.
Richard
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:10 pm

I I love you you Charlotte. I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you can learn to rest easy knowing that Fred will no longer suffer and he will be doing his happy dance every time hubs comes home when he watches from above. You are a wonderful person for doing what you did for Fred, and I'm sure he thinks the same as I do.
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:30 pm

Oh, Charlotte, I'm so sorry. I have to echo what Richard said. I'm overcome with tears for you. You have my deepest sympathy for the loss of your beloved Fred, you and hubby both.
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:35 pm

Oh, Richard, I absolutely lost it when I read your post. I started thinking of all the things I want Steve to know...that Fred particularly likes it when you scratch behind his LEFT ear, not his right.

That he's not the prettiest dog you'll ever see, not even the prettiest basset, but he has the sweetest kindest disposition I've ever seen in a dog.

That he does like the ladies, even with his bum leg and his advancing age he would still bow-up against Bruiser for the affections of Lilly. Even though he couldn't always figure out which end was which.

And he really liked that he got canned food and Bruiser didn't.

It makes me feel better thinking that your wonderful Steve is taking care of our boy.

Becky, Amy, Bubbs and Gia...it did me good to think he's able to do his happy dance again, his long basset ears flapping up and down and that I was able to describe what a wonderful companion he was. He was such a sweet guy.

I love you I love you I love you
Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:58 pm

I am lost at words, Charlotte. Sad You are the best taking care of the elderly animals. And they know you are the best!
Fred had the best time of his life while with you! Thank you Charlotte [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Fred the basset - R.I.P. Empty Fred

Post  crt Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:30 pm

There is nothing quite like the canine spirit. Unconditional love they give us. It hurts like mad when they have to go. I hurt for you too. Blue skies, Fred.

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:41 pm

Yes, blue skies. That reminded me of the poem "High Flight" by John Gillespie Magee, Jr. I'm sure you're familar with it, Chris. We read it at my Dad's memorial. He had a copy of it hanging in his office for years.

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Cindy*W Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:22 pm

Charlotte,

Bless your heart. I know how hard this has been for you.

We have three dogs and one is 12.

I absolutely dread the day we have to deal with his death.

He is a Jack Russell Terrier and he is my husbands baby.

My husband just said the other night, "Why did God make their lifespan so short when they are so precious to us?"

To that question, I have no answer.

Maybe one day we will know.

Take care Charlotte, I will be thinking about you.

Cindy
Cindy*W
Cindy*W

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:32 pm

Steve hears you and will do exactly as you desire. I have no doubt. Absolutely none.
Richard
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  theresae Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:27 am

hi there, so sorry to hear about Fred, i have been there and it was utterly heartbreaking, they are such a big part of family life, he sounds like a wonderfully loyal and kind animal, i am convinced he is at peace now, thinking of you take care,

love theresa x
theresae
theresae

Back to top Go down

Post  LizzieB Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:02 am

What a lovely dog Fred sounded - you and your husband must be devastated. I'm so sorry. Our last dog was 16 too when she gave up, but like us, you'll have all those happy memories.

Liz
LizzieB
LizzieB

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:09 am

I'm so sorry for your loss. Hugs
Alli
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:40 am

charlotte,

i'm sorry for the loss of your pup. always a sad time. please take care.

-mgb

Back to top Go down

Post  Almostangela Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:03 pm

So sorry Charlotte. What a lovely story and lovely life.

I'm in the process of adopting a rescue dog on friday and it is because of you.

We are not sure of his age and he is blind in one eye and partially deaf, and came in as a stray. From the pictures and what we have been told, he looks 'odd' lhaso apso/english bulldog (like a big long 20lb lhaso apso with an underbite), but has the sweetest disposition. We passed the home test so now we wait to meet Jackson.

Anyways, earlier today I was wondering if I should take on this responsibility, but after reading your post, it is pretty clear to me now. I have an 11 year old Papillon/Chu already, and short of Jackson trying to kill her, I hope he is a match to us as Fred was to you.

Take care of your aching heart.
Angela
Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:34 pm

We've rescued many dogs and only had problems with one. She had born in the pound and lived there her first 5 months. She was plain wacko. We had her for several years trying, trying to domesticate her. But, one day she jumped up and bit a toddler who was visiting us with his parents. The toddler was in his mothers arms when she bit him, not doing anything to annoy the dog.

We made the decision to put her down. I won't take the liability of having a dog that bites, nor would I have felt comfortable placing her in another home knowing that she bites.

It was so difficult putting down a healthy dog.

Most rescue societies are very thorough in accurately describing a dogs disposition. They don't want to get the dog back because the dog wasn't what the owner expected. Since the agency made you pass a home study, they sound like a responsible bunch who wouldn't mislead you.

I'm happy that our Freddie-boy inspired you to open your heart and home to Jackson.

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  ajr Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:17 pm

I am so sorry, Charlotte. Fred was so lucky to have you. It sounds like he had a wonder six years with you. So, so sorry.
ajr
ajr

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:00 am

I was at a meeting yesterday and apologized for not being better prepared and explained about Fred. That opened it up to everyone talking about their rescues, etc.

One woman, who I have always been a little intimidated by followed up by sending me a delightful email with pictures of her newest rescue who was in horrible shape when she adopted her (she adopted her in June, she had two dead puppy fetuses in her since DECEMBER). The woman was not going to adopt again, she had just lost her precious Sadie. But the rescue agency called her about this dog who was in desperate shape.

The dog is now the love of her live.

Our love for four legged friends just made me a new friend of someone I've known for years, but never had much to talk to about.

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:59 am

A friend sent me a link to this page for another reason but in reading the top bio - made me think of those who open their hearts and homes to older dogs.

http://www.flyball.org/inthespotlight_cover.html#mr
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:35 pm

Thanks HeelerLady. Loved the article.

Fred's foster mom sent me an email yesterday. She had found the email when she was looking for a pic of Fred. She had sent the email to a friend who was asking hw the adoption of Fred was going. It was weird reading about myself in the third person. It's also interesting to see how people talk about you when you're not the intended audience.

Anyway, the line that really cracked me up was when I was described as a "sucker for the seniors". LOL She had me pegged. She also said she contacted me about Fred because I was so good about keeping her updated and sending her pic's of another dog we had adopted from her, Bruiser. It was nice to know I had made her happy.

Bruiser is now almost 14. We got him when he was 6. It's making a little nervous since I just found out the average live-span of a basset is 12. Plus, Bruiser is a BIG boy. Almost 100 pounds (but not fat, he's like me...big boned Laughing ). The bigger they are the shorter the life span. But so far Bruiser is the Dorian Gray of bassets. Not a sign of age on him.

My staff made me cry today. About a month ago I implemented a program where for a $5 donation, staff could wear blue jeans on Fridays and the money goes to our local animal rescue. Today they told me they wanted the money donated in memory of Fred. It was $137! (the uneven # comes from clients who saw what we were doing and threw in a buck or two). I was so touched. We made up a flyer with his pic on it to put on the Shelters bulletin board. Hopefully it will give others the idea to do memorials also.

When we started the program at work we got a very nice write up in the paper. We found out that it so moved a couple who lived 50 miles away from us that they donated $50 to our shelter! Plus, they're going to try and start a similar program in their town.

It gave me a warm fuzzy during a trying week.

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:41 pm

Speaking of memorials...the receptionist at my vet clinic tragically lost her daughter in an accident a year ago. Long story short but as a memorial to the daughter and love for animals, they set out to raise $800 for a bullet proof vest for a police dog with the county sheriff. People could donate or get a special rate for a nail trim that would be donated for the cause. So far they have raised enough money for at least 2 vests and have just kept this memorial going....and are still raising money.

Wonderful idea to implement Charlotte. Smile
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:08 pm

That makes me so sad. Sometimes I like animals more than people. I lost my German Shepard a couple of years ago. Even though she was old and it was time and you know they are going to leave before we do, it is still very hard. I still talk to my dog. I believe in animal heaven. How could there not be one!

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  WitsEnd Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:13 pm

Charlotte,

I'm so sorry to hear your news, it's heart breaking when you have to say goodbye to what has become a part of the family.

Thinking of you.
WitsEnd
WitsEnd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum