migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie's intro and protocol

+4
rileyoday
CluelessKitty
Paradox
jakesteele
8 posters

Go down

Newbie's intro and protocol Empty Newbie's intro and protocol

Post  jakesteele Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:22 pm

Hi, I'm new here, sure am glad I stumbled onto this site. I have been a chronic migraine/cluster headache sufferer for years. For standard migraines I use Imitrex, pill and injectable, to great success. For clusters I use Verapmil taken in conjuction with Welbutrin(not sustained release) to great effect. Occasionally, a cluster will sneak around the Verapamil/Welbutrin protocols and 15 yrs. ago I discovered that breathing pure oxygen for 15 to 20 mins. knocked the shit out of the cluster. Hooray!!!

My biggest, ongoing problem is that I get a baby migraine(1-3 on a scale of 10) every morning, guaranteed. I also get them any time I work out. I take 3-4 generic Excedrin, which knocks them out as long as I take them immediately upon the first symptom.

Now I am investigating Norvasc and Metoprolol. The Metoprolol seems to work very well so far at 100 mg. X 2 daily. I just ran out and have a prescription for Norvasc, which I tried taking at 10 mg. before and didn't like, so I quit almost immediately. I am going to start at 2.5mg. a day and see what happens.

I would appreciate input on any of the above I have listed, especially Norvasc. If you see something I'm missing, by all means, tell me about it.

Fellow sufferer

Jakesteele

jakesteele

Back to top Go down

Newbie's intro and protocol Empty Re: Newbie's intro and protocol

Post  Paradox Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:46 pm

Welcome Jakesteele.

I don't have any experience with Norvasc and Metoprolol, and am on a very slow dial-up right now so I don't want to google it, but I just wanted to hello, and let you know I'm glad you found us.

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:03 pm

Welcome cheers
And may I congratulate you on your excellent writting skills! It's a pleasure to read your text. So easy on the eyes.
I haven't tried Norvasc myself - it's a calcium channel blocker similar to Verapamil I think.

and Metoprolol is a beta blocker. I haven't tried that one either. Looks like this one is a better choice for you.
I hope it'll continue working well for you.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Newbie's intro and protocol Empty newbie intro

Post  rileyoday Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:09 pm

I read one time that the caffine in excederine would dialate blood vessels giving relief.{ in the head }

I noted that because Dr.s always insist caffine is rebound headaches. I was never a caffine user, I am sure

60-70-mg gives me some relief of my chronic daily or M . Hope you do better soon.

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:15 pm

Hi, and welcome to the board. I hope you stay and enjoy our little community.

I'm by no means the protocol police, and swearing doesn't bother me, but you might want to watch your language. It's kind of an unspoken rule around here that we sensor ourselves so that we don't accidentally offend others who might be bothered by language.
Just thought I'd let you know.
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:30 pm

I'm sorry Jake, I don't have any information for you. I haven't tried either of the drugs you are asking about.

I would like to welcome you to the forum and hope you find the answers your looking for! I'm sorry your suffering but I am glad you are managing the big ones! Now just a matter of time before you get control of those baby ones, right? Smile

As far as the caffeine and rebound goes I truly believe that yes, it is a very important factor to know about and be aware of but don't stress it. If you are curious to see if you have the rebound.. take yourself off pain relieving medication and see if you improve. I understand more than anything that this is an extremely difficult thing to do but if you do believe your migraines are MOH(rebound headaches) do yourself that favor so you can be aware for the future as well.

I take fioricet w. codeine for my migraines. Some weeks I take significantly more than the dosage recommended in order to avoid MOH, others I take the exact amount. Either way, I'd get MOH since my monthy allowance goes over every month with this crazy MOH causing med. It has caffeine in it, too. I do not experience rebounds. Everyone is different, but everyone should be aware.

Also Jake, do you have your own oxygen tank? If so, how much did it cost if you don't mind. My doctor prescribed one for me and my insurance will cover half, however I have not located one. I am a little afraid it will be expensive to buy as well as use(I.E buying the pure oxygen as well as the tank). I know a tanning salon around me does an oxygen bar so I plan on trying it before I buy but whenever I have a migraine I just want to sit at home..I don't want to go test this oxygen bar thing Laughing It's setting me back on the investigation LOL!!

Can you just tell me all about it? I'd be really interested in how it all works in regards to the oxygen tank. I have no idea! Do you fill it up yourself? Do you use a mask to inhale? How often do you fill it? I'm itching to know..sorry for getting you off track. BTW I just have migraines, no clusters.
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  Stillhurtin Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:13 am

Just wanted to say welcome!!

I'm glad you found this forum, as it is awesome in terms of support and information sharing. Sorry you have a need for us, though Sad

Living with head pain is awful. We all suffer such varying types and degrees, but we all know that it is a hard way to live.

I have no experience with either meds you are asking about, sorry. But I too would be interested to hear about the Oxygen.

Welcome. Hope you stay around Smile
Stillhurtin
Stillhurtin

Back to top Go down

Post  moominamy Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:51 am

Verapamil works in a similar way to amlodipine, so I'm not sure if you are taking both together, but if you are I'd double check it with your dr. Seems a little odd to me.

Beta blockers have a very good efficacy in migraine of all of the preventatives and are usually a first line treatment, especially because the side effect profile is usually pretty good too. Propranolol is the one most commonly used as there are a lot of studies on it in migraine and it penetrates the blood brain barrier well, which some think may make it the most effective for us. But metoprolol is quite similar and if you are seeing a benefit I would stick with it.

Welcome to the forum Smile

Amy

moominamy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down