migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

alexander technique or mindfulness-based stress management

3 posters

Go down

alexander technique or mindfulness-based stress management Empty alexander technique or mindfulness-based stress management

Post  ConcordGrape Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:20 am

Has anyone tried of either of these with success? Since I have chronic back pain in addition to migraine I think these would be helpful.
ConcordGrape
ConcordGrape

Back to top Go down

alexander technique or mindfulness-based stress management Empty Re: alexander technique or mindfulness-based stress management

Post  Lynn65 Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:09 am

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your chronic back pain.

I have used mindfulness meditation (Jon Kabat Zinn) to successfully get rid of 24/7 chronic headache.

My neurologist (who I still see when required as she really got me sorted with meds and being able to manage my migraines) and my GP both said that I would never get rid of that headache.

My GP said that with chronic pain, the brain has rewired to have that pain. My immediate question was how to wire it back. She referred me to Rewire Your Brain.

I found that an interesting read, but the most help was doing JKZ's mindfulness mediation for pain CD over and over and over and over. I also did his 45 minute body scan meditation.

I've never been one for sitting still, and even though I know it helps, meditation just isn't really my thing, but I still do it because it has definitely worked for me.

Hope that you get some relief from your back pain and your migraines.

cheers,
Lynn

Lynn65

Back to top Go down

alexander technique or mindfulness-based stress management Empty Re: alexander technique or mindfulness-based stress management

Post  ConcordGrape Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:55 am

Hi Lynn, thanks for your reply. I have tried JKZ'z CDs in the past but his voice just puts me to sleep! Can you tell me where I can find the 45 minute bodyscan meditation? I remember he kept referencing it in the CD but I don't remember ever learning it.
I think if I try it again I will sign up for a class in person. I've been putting it off because the classes are expensive.

I just started learning the Alexander Technique, and I think it will help with the back pain, and maybe the migraines too. I'm not sure how many lessons I will need, but I am going once a week for an hour. I'll update more as I progress.

CG
ConcordGrape
ConcordGrape

Back to top Go down

alexander technique or mindfulness-based stress management Empty Jon Kabat-Zinn

Post  mxgo Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:57 pm

The name of the CD is "Guided Mindfulness Meditation." There are 4 CDs in the album and one of them (#1) contains the 45 minute "Body Scan Meditation." I use it every morning, and it does help you relax, but a lot of the time I do fall asleep.

Martin
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  ConcordGrape Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:11 am

Thanks Martin!
ConcordGrape
ConcordGrape

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynn65 Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:40 pm

Hi,

Here's a link to the CD that Martin mentioned: http://www.amazon.com/Guided-Mindfulness-Meditation-Complete-Kabat-Zinn/dp/1591793599

There's also a CD specifically for pain management that I found really useful - I listened to it over and over again while I had viral meningitis and still listening to two of the tracks every night as I go to sleep (I took the ending bells out). http://www.amazon.com/Mindfulness-Meditation-Pain-Relief-Kabat-Zinn/dp/1591797403

I know they say to stay awake for the meditations, but for myself, sleep can sometimes be hard to come by and I don't fall asleep easily, so if I fall asleep during a meditation, I figure I must have relaxed from listening to it and I must have been tired enough that I needed the sleep.

cheers,
Lynn

Lynn65

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down