migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BOTOX INFO

4 posters

Go down

BOTOX INFO Empty BOTOX INFO

Post  dcook60 Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:25 pm

several years ago, i became aware of the magazine "neurology now", which is written for patients and caregivers. (i'm a paid caregiver as well as a patient).

i've been receiving a FREE subscription, and have learned a few things about many neurologic disorders.

mostly, unfortunately, the magazine is full of ADS. but here's an interesting thing i thought i'd post re: botox, taken from a current issue ad for this (allergan company).

"botox is the first and only fda approved preventive treatment for people with chronic migraine."

"botox prevents up to 9 headache days a month , versus up to 7 for placebo".

"botox is injected every three months by your doctor".

what!!!!!! placebo is almost as good? as there can been life-threatening side effects, (of course, listed in the many-page ad) i would surely think twice and thrice about doing this.

desperately seeking a fix, i tried it without knowing much about it, about 13 years ago. it did nothing for me, and i guess i'm lucky it didn't do permanent damage. my ARNP at the time was getting the shots with great success at the time, so that's what convinced me to give it a shot (pun).

if anyone here wants this interesting magazine, you can call 800-422-2681 or visit www. neurologynow.com.

let the consumer beware, dianne

dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

BOTOX INFO Empty Re: BOTOX INFO

Post  Migrainegirl Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:53 pm

I wish a placebo would get rid of 7 headaches a month! I've tried just about everything without that good of a result.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

BOTOX INFO Empty side effects

Post  gailgigi Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:58 am

What side effects can it cause? I'm intrigued. I triied Botox a couple of years ago. It did nothing for me. Let me know.
gailgigi
gailgigi

Back to top Go down

BOTOX INFO Empty magazine

Post  gailgigi Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:00 am

This magazine is only available to residents of the US. Too bad, I would have liked to receive it.
gailgigi
gailgigi

Back to top Go down

Post  dcook60 Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:24 pm

verbatim from the ad in front of me: "botox may cause serious side effects that can be life threatening. call your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of these problems any time (hours to weeks) after injection of botox".

"problems swallowing, speaking, or breathing, due to weakening of associated muscles, can be severe and result in loss of life. you are at the highest risk if these problems are pre-existing before injection. swallowing problems may last for several months."

"spread of toxin effects. the effect of botulinum toxin may affect areas away from the injection site and cause serious symptoms including: loss of strength and all-over muscle weakness, double vision, blurred vision and drooping eyelids (DIANNE had this), hoarseness or change or loss of voice (dysphonia), trouble saying words clearly (dysarthria), loss of bladder control, trouble breathing, trouble swallowing."

of course, if we all read every possible side effect of every drug, nobody would ever take anything! these are probably rare, but they do tend to scare a person........dianne

dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

BOTOX INFO Empty thanks

Post  gailgigi Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:41 am

thanks for the info. I'm glad mine was done long ago. As you say though all drugs have possible severe side effects. It's interesting what desperation will do to a person.
gailgigi
gailgigi

Back to top Go down

BOTOX INFO Empty possible side effects

Post  cgillies Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:00 pm

Hi,

Unfortunately my wife has been one of the unlucky ones who has been affected by the side effects of botox. She had it once for cosmetic reasons, and the past 14 months have been hell for her.

The side effects have been significant, and although they are listed in the black box warnings on the box its not clear how devastating they can be. I agree that its obviously rare that people suffer like this, but if you are one of the unlucky ones its terrible.

I have started a web site - botoxsupportcommunity.com , where you can read the stories of my wife and many other people who are going through the same experience. I hope that some people here will find this information useful, I know that more and more people are getting botox for migranes, and I think that its important to be fully informed before you are injected.

Regards,

Cameron

cgillies

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down