migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Migraine "Expert" Here

4 posters

Go down

New Migraine "Expert" Here Empty New Migraine "Expert" Here

Post  FireMama Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Hi Everyone! I stumbled upon this website trying to find support from people who suffer like me. I have had migraines for about 10 years now.

I have had every test imaginable, 3 or 4 MRI's, 3 CT's, EEG, and many other less invasive ones. I have seen 5 neuros, been to 2 pain clinics, several ER docs and 2 GYN's. Not one doctor has found any sort of solution for me.

I have tried Topomax, Amitriptyline, Gabapentin, Cymbalta, Depakote, Tramadol, DHE injections, Benedryl injections, ummmm can't think of any more right now.

I've had steriod injections in my head, neck and back. Cryo-therapy to my forehead nerves. Botox. Accupuncture. Chiropractor.

That's about all I can think of right now. I currently take Imitrex and Naproxen for my migraines which I get 2-6 times a month. And they last anywhere from 1-5 days. I am allowed to go to the ER once a month for a Dilautid injection as that is the only "rescue" medication that will give me any relief. And by relief that means going home to sleep for 12 hrs plus and then hopefully waking up without a headache.

I need suggestions on who or where to go for better pain managment. I am literally hanging by a thread with my mental status right now. I used to take Percocet as needed for my headaches but they have now taken that away saying I was getting rebound headaches. LOL Been there, done that.

FireMama

Back to top Go down

New Migraine "Expert" Here Empty 'cont..

Post  FireMama Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:47 am

I had to end my post because of a Fire call. I am a volunteer firefighter, surprisingly. Its the only job I've been able to keep with the headaches. I can respond if and when I'm able.

One thing I wanted to mention in my other post was I have recently had two seizures. I was taking Tramadol for my migraines which was helping a lot, but then it caused the seizures. They were horrible to put it mildly.

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself and hear what others have to say. I get so depressed about being in pain all the time, it would be nice to have people to share stories with.

FireMama

Back to top Go down

New Migraine "Expert" Here Empty Re: New Migraine "Expert" Here

Post  elleah Sat May 05, 2012 7:41 am

Gosh, FireMama - that is an awful awful experience you are having and have been having it seems for some years. I am on the other end of the spectrum, because of my bipolar medication and other medical problems the doctors are really reluctant to give me alternative medications, seeing as most of them are metabolised in the liver and mine is over-functioning. I currently have between 13-18 migraines a month for 1-3 days and it has been this way for eight months.

I don't have that much in the way of advice because it seems you have exhausted the 'medical' route. I am currently undertaking some alternative therapies which include meditation, yoga, herbal remedies prescribed by a homeopath as well as monthly sports massages to alleviate some of the tension which contributes to (and results from) the build up of migraines. These may not sound too helpful to someone in your position but I doubt there is all that much conventional medicine can do for you at this stage.

Anyway, this was just a reply to say I really feel for you and am very amazed by the fact that you are still managing to do such a selfless and important job while coping with this chronic and debilitating condition.
elleah
elleah

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Sat May 05, 2012 1:37 pm

Hi Fire Mama. Welcome to our little corner of the web. We're glad to have you, but wish you weren't suffering enough to need us. Sad

Looking at your list of medications, I didn't see any Beta blockers or Calcium channel blockers listed that I recognized. Have you tried anything in that route? I have some success with Propranolol (Inderal). Not terrific success, but every little bit helps. Currently, I'm using Propranolol and Amitryptine together which helps a little more. I've had several neuros basically give up on me and tell me to just hang in there until a better treatment available. It does get so discouraging sometimes.

Again, welcome. I hope you're able to find something that better helps your pain.
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

New Migraine "Expert" Here Empty new M expert

Post  rileyoday Mon May 07, 2012 1:34 am

hello , You have had a full work up and seen enough drs. I had about seven years of daily M before I found a script of clonidine that reduced my number of M. two a week now. It helped to add a beta blocker and calcium channel blocker.

I only can suggest giving a new script enough time to work or a high enough dose.
Can you still work with any of those doctors ? I know it seems like they lose intrest in helping.

I tried most of the drugs on your list before finding some relief. Keep trying. Your relief may be the next one.
Mine worked right away. Still working three years now.

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down