migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Migraine sufferer here

+2
Brenda
mommymel
6 posters

Go down

New Migraine sufferer here Empty New Migraine sufferer here

Post  mommymel Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:46 pm

even though i have suffered from migraines for thirteen years, the last two months have been the most challenging. Up to four migraines a day, lasting hours or days, lost some hearing in one ear. Having behavior issues, memory loss, always dizzy and lightheaded. migraine meds aren't working, i knew it wasn't good when the dr put me on the steriods that always worked before didn't work this time. Now he's saying possible brain damage from either recent car accident or from the migraines. Either way, I just want the pain to go away. I can't take it, nothing helps and seems no one wants to help and no one cares. I'm living my life on a moment by moment basis and I don't like it. I fear losing my job cuz I can't work when I'm like this and the dr has since put me out of work til he might figure out whats going on. I have good days and horrible days, thankfully today was an ok day, yesterday was the horrible day and could tell more of my hearing went in my now bad ear that is always in pain.

mommymel

Back to top Go down

New Migraine sufferer here Empty Re: New Migraine sufferer here

Post  Brenda Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:05 pm

We're glad to have you in our little family. Welcome. I wish you didn't need us because that means you're in a lot of pain. I'm so sorry you're having a hard time right now. Sometimes minute by minute; day by day is all any of us can manage. I hope you're able to find something to help break the cycle you're in soon. I've been there, and I know how miserable it is.
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  Perp Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:12 am

Hi mommymel, I'm new to this forum but sadly, not new to migraines, having have had migraine for >90% of the last 18 years. (Sudden onset after profound stress; never had a single one for the first 24 years of my life.) I lost a great career as a result of migraines, so sadly, I can relate all too well to your distress.

And the very worst part is that nobody else can see it. It's not that they don't believe you, but that you can't show them what it's like for you, or give them a number on a scale which measures your pain and distress. I remember talking to somebody about clinical priorities, and a nurse said "but he has a missing LEG!", with respect to suggesting another patient had priority over me. My father-in-law has a missing leg, and I know for a fact that his life is nowhere near as impacted by this disability as my life has been impacted by migraines. But people can see a missing leg, and think they know what it would be like. Very few people know what it's like to have your brain, the very centre of your being - the place in your body where "you" reside - causing you profound pain for the majority of the time.

I digress... I will just encourage you to keep pursuing whatever treatments might be of use with an open mind but appropriate level of skepticism, and whatever you do, make sure you keep having whatever tests are necessary to put your mind at ease that there's not something sinister lurking, such as a tumour or aneurysm or degenerative disease etc. Chronic migraine pain is difficult enough to endure, but if you're also worried that the doctors may have missed something more sinister, it can't help. I know that for years it seemed incredible that I could be in such a sorry state and not having anything "wrong" with me that could be detected / measured / removed. Alas, I now know that it's very possible.

If your doctor doesn't seem to be paying attention, find another one who does. There are good doctors out there, and there are some great pain clinics. Keep at it until you've found both, and are able to get some useful interventions. *hugs*

Perp

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:12 am

I know how you feel. I've been having chronic m for over 8 years now. No one usually cares unless it happens to them.

Kate

Back to top Go down

Post  FireMama Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:33 pm

I am new too. I know how much you are going through right now as I am going through the same problem. I have been to the neurologist three times in the last month, seen my primary doc and an ER doc. I've having almost full on panic attacks because I cannot tolerate the pain anymore. The neuro wants me to go to another pain clinic but it could take a month or two before I would get an appointment.

So just today I found a different pain clinic that can see me Tuesday. I just hope and pray they will give me something for pain as I cannot live any longer with it.

FireMama

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:51 pm

About the only thing that works for my pain is oxycodone. I take the lowest dose at 5 mg. I don't find it remotely habit forming. I only take it when the pain gets to a steadily increasing 4. It is the only thing I have found that takes the edge off. Sometimes Frova will abort a headache, but I usually need to take the Oxy as well. Doubt I'd be very functional without it, and I would have had to close my business and go on disability.

Don't let them deny you you pain relief due to any nonsense about rebound headaches. In my experience that just leads to more miserable days, with no reduction in headaches (at least in my case). If they can't come up with more effective pain relief, they have no business denying you what does work for you.

Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down