migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alli, Good book I''m reading

+8
hpilgrim
tecky
Stillhurtin
CluelessKitty
ajr
kimsmom
alli
Paradox
12 posters

Go down

Alli, Good book I''m reading Empty Alli, Good book I''m reading

Post  Paradox Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:28 pm

A couple days ago I started "Half Broke Horse : a true-life novel" by Jeannette Walls, the author of "The Glass Castle". The jacket blurb is : In her new book, she brings us the story of her grandmother, told in a first-person voice that is authentic, irresistable, and triumphant".

It is VERY good. I usually only read non-fiction and was a little put off that it was a "true-life novel" but she has done a wonderful job of weaving her grandmother's real life into a novel.

I've been disappointed that my head has been acting up and I can't read for as long a period as I would like.

And, if you haven't read "The Glass Castle" I would also highly recommend that. It's right up there with Frank McCourt's "Angela's Ashes".

I just picked up another newbie of quotations. Haven't started reading it yet but I love the title "If Ignorance is Bliss, Why Aren't There More Happy People Around?" Razz

What are you currently reading?

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Alli, Good book I''m reading Empty Re: Alli, Good book I''m reading

Post  alli Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:09 pm

I'm reading Beautiful Lies by Lisa Unger which is a crime novel. Surprisingly well written. Usually the prose in these types of books is a bit simplistic but her prose is wonderful. I'll definitely be looking for more of her books. It's written in the first person so you really get into the protagionists head as she tries to work through what is going on.

I usually read Science Fiction and darkish fantasy, along with good mysteries and some others thrown in... heck... just about anything really!

Alli
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  kimsmom Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:08 pm

I thought I would jump in here and say that" The Time Travelers Wife " written by Audrey Niffenegger is good. It was in the movie theaters a while back and I saw it at that time. Good movie too but the book gets into so much more depth.

I love to read and can read with a headache too. No one can understand but it takes my mind off of the headache. The headache would be here with or without reading...

kimsmom
kimsmom
kimsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  ajr Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:09 pm

I loved Beautiful Lies....I thought it read like a movie and I could picture it in my mind so well. I enjoyed that.
ajr
ajr

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:25 pm

What a coincidence - I am also reading ^The Time Traveler's Wife^ right now!

I do like this book, is well written and the idea of time travel is very interesting,
the language is pleasant, the plot involving but just one thing - from the very beginning something was bothering me about this book and I couldn't figure what it was because I certainly like this book on the whole, and would recommend to everyone as a great read.

Then I suddenly realized what it is - I am not fan of short stories, and this book is written in sort of such a manner.

But once again it's a good book, well worth praises and awards it received and now made into movie I'd like to see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu8lYr0kf7g

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Stillhurtin Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:42 pm

Charolette-

I loved The Glass Castle. I would like to read any other book by her. Thanks for the suggestion. If you liked The Glass Castle you will love The Weight of Silence. I adored the book and can't wait for the writer to come out with another novel.

I am TRYING to read Say You're One of Them and Olive Kitteridge right now (usually not one two at once but it kinda just happened this way..lol. But I cant read with pain or on pain meds sooooooo, my reading time has been limited, to say the least, lately. Crying or Very sad
Stillhurtin
Stillhurtin

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:54 am

Just a suggestion for those of you who have trouble reading with your migraines, I just discovered audio books (I know they've been available awhile, I'm just slow). Our library system has many genres available for download for free.

I've gotten to the point where reading for more than a few minutes at a time exacerbates the pain. My eyes have gotten so sensitive and painful.

Another benefit I've found is that I can put my headphones on, canceling out all other outside noise, and sometimes I'm able to fall asleep (which is usually difficult for me). Oftentimes I need to backtrack several chapters to find the part I last remember, but that's okay.

Becky study
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:46 am

When I took Asimov's Science Fiction magazine, they ran a series of poems called the Time Traveler's Wife. I have to check to see if the same author wrote both. That book is on my list to read.

Reading takes my mind off the pain and discomfort. It sucks when I can't read cause TV doesn't take me away the same way.
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  hpilgrim Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:48 pm

Great post - I am writing these down!

Who wrote The Glass Castle?

Holly
hpilgrim
hpilgrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Stillhurtin Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:23 pm

Jeanette Walls
Stillhurtin
Stillhurtin

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:46 pm

I have The Time Traveler's Wife (half read), too. That's what happens to me. I read half a book (because it takes me so long to get that far since I can't read with head pain) then lose interest in it. I should get back to it.

I am reading The Lovely Bones right now. I am about ¾ of the way through so I think I'll finish it. Then I have The God Delusion.

I should really go back and finish reading all those ½ read books I have on my shelf! LOL
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:18 pm

I've heard about "Lovely Bones", I think there is a movie out based on this book, too.

I've passed by this book many times and hesitated many times. Is it really that good, if yes I will buy it, put it on the shelf in wait to be read eventually as the others are.

Also, I've heard "The Shack" mentioned many times, too, but mixed reviews, too. Anybody read it yet?

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:50 am

Oh Risa!

"Lovely Bones" is FANTASTIC! I don't read much fiction but I was enthralled by it. Such a unique perspective.

After I finished that I found out the author, Alice Sebold, had a bio out about her rape. Also, very good. It is called "Lucky". The cover states : "In the tunnel where I was raped, a tunnel that was once an underground entry to an amphitheater, a place where actors burst forth from underneath the seats of a crowd, a girl had been murdered and dismembered. I was told this story by the police. In comparison, they said, I was LUCKY."

A very triumphant read.

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  kimsmom Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:37 pm

Well, I finished The Time Travelers Wife a few days ago. I thought is was a very good book. I saw the movie last year but books have so much depth to them.

Right now I am reading The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve. I am not sure about this book yet but it is keeping my interest so far.

I just read the posts on The Lovely Bones and I knew my daughter had to read it for school last year. So in her room I went and she gave it to me. She said she did not finish it. Course with all the tests and reading done in high school I guess I can understand. I did not really start to read until I was out of school. I will read the Lovely Bones next.

The Shack. Well, I was 3/4ths of the way done with the book when my husband had his operation. I took the Time Travelers Wife to the hospital since I knew I would be there all day. I have not gotten back to The Shack. It really does not interest me. In the beginning it is good but it starts to become far fetched if you ask me. I will finish it but it is not a book I would tell you to run out and buy. My opinion only.

This is a good post. I am interested in what other folks are saying about these books and three of us were reading The Time Travelers Wife at the same time!

kimsmom
kimsmom
kimsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:28 pm

I know its a Young Adult series but I love the Twilight books. In addition, I got into The Vampire Academy. I think it had so much more depth. The plot was wonderful. It is more racey than I'd like a YA book series to be but it suited me just fine. I can't wait for the new book to be released.

I D/L all the torrents for free and listened/read (PDF) them. Awesome! I can't believe how quickly I got through them. They held my interest the entire way through, which I haven't experienced since Harry Potter LOL!!!
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:07 pm

Thanks for your opinions, guys. I will buys then both Lovely Bones, and The Shack, too, oh what the heck, lol
I will check the other ones, as well.

I have read The Pilot's Wife years ago, at about the time when Angela's Ashes made the big talk (in the late 90ties??)
and this book will pick up slowly but steadily. So I think you may like it in the end.
Although I have to say honestly, it could have been written bit better, yes.

TWILIGHT - OMG!, I am overt 4 times biologically too old for this but at heart I am forever a teen,
and I love love love this series.
I had so much fun with Bella and Edward and Jacob and the rest of the gang that not only I am buying the books
(I started with soft cover, I have now three and am waiting for the last one to come out in the same edition) but the DVD, too. (I am also fan of Harry Potter)

I have never heard of 'Vampire Academy' so thanks for letting me know about that - will look into it.
And if I may reciprocate I would recommend 'supernatural' for young adult by Kelley Armstrong "Awakening"
and "Summoning" - now I can't wait for the third one The Reckoning to come out.
http://www.kelleyarmstrong.com/aAwaken.htm

It may not have as much impact and 'rush' as the Twilight but it has it own character and mood which I liked.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:27 am

Glad I read this post b/c I'm looking for a few books to bring to my beach holiday this month.

I'm reading "Push" right now which is also out under the name "Precious". It's a very hard read as the story is full of tales of horrid abuse.

I too am too old for Twilight, but I did read the first book. I liked the movie....but I did get kind of bored with the whole romance so I stopped reading.

Lovely Bones is fabulous.

My Sister's Keeper is also a great read.

I usually pick up at least one trade peperback every time I go to costco, as they tend to have good ones stocked.

I'm not sure yet what to get for the beach (and plane ride).
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  hpilgrim Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:22 am

I love Dick Francis -
I am trying to buy all of his books used from Amazon, a few at the time....

Has anyone ever read a book called "Memoirs from Antproof Case" by Mark Helprin?

And lately I read a book written by a young man who kayaked around Scotland... sounds boring, doesn't it? I have no interest in kayaking... but it was one of the best written books I have ever read, and I felt that I had paddled every stroke with him. He is a Wonderful writer. The book's name is "Blazing Paddles" by Brian Wilson. AND he later kayaked around Ireland - wonderful descriptive book. I can't explain how he could draw me into a subject I didn't have any interest in and make it so great. The second book is "Dancing with Waves" --- I HIGHLY recommend them.

Also anything by Jon Katz, if you are a dog lover....

Holly

ps. I need something new to read, and I don't like vampires... whatever shall I do?? Smile
hpilgrim
hpilgrim

Back to top Go down

Post  LizzieB Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:11 pm

Ooh lovely thread. Must check out The Glass Castle and also try The Time Traveler's Wife again - the constant switching of times was too much for the poor brain but my daughter tells me I must finish it.

If you're looking for a page turner, I would highly recommend The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy by Stieg Larsson.

Thank you

Liz
LizzieB
LizzieB

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:01 pm

I'm reading "Push" right now which is also out under the name "Precious". It's a very hard read as the story is full of tales of horrid abuse

I just bought this book, after lots of hesitating. Because I have hard time reading about abuse.

But then I thought there is a group of people who went thru such a hardship it should never ever be forgotten,
we OWE them to read about their past lest we forget.

I even thought of creating the separate thread of such books, but maybe it's not necessary.
These books are:

INFIDEL by Ayan Hirsi Ali
http://books.google.ca/books?id=70vIJVnOOpIC&dq=infidel+ayaan+hirsi+ali&source=bl&ots=fNSjA299tA&sig=Tp4zMZsYE4U2UH7acofHIrdsm6g&hl=en&ei=aQVmS7X8AYzgswPErKSyBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CA0Q6AEwAA
The first chapter is a bit slow but once it's over the book accelerate. It is an amazing, astonishing and brutal story
of a woman in Muslim world. We owe it to all Muslim women to read this book.

Kiss of the Fur Queen by Tomson Highway

A book we owe to read to our Natives. How they were abused at the hands of religious opressors.
http://www.randomhouse.ca/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780385258807
Beautiful book, hard to read, but leaving lasting impression.

Night by Elie Wiesel
Book about Holocaust. need I say more...
http://bestsellers.about.com/od/nonfictionreviews/gr/Night_r.htm

The Book of Negroes/Someone Knows My Name by Lawrence Hill
It's about slavery. Very well written, and so balanced that despite disturbing subject matter it's fascinating.
We owe it to all our African Americans. Beautiful, beautiful book. One I wouldn't mind read twice.
Now illustrated edition available.
http://www.lawrencehill.com/the_book_of_negroes.html

Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah
A book about children soldiers in Africa. We owe to the all the poor African children who at the age of innocence were suddenly, brutally ripped from safety of their families and trusted into horrors of war.
A heartbreaking book.
http://www.alongwaygone.com/

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  hpilgrim Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:29 pm

Also Wild Swans- Three Daughters of China
by Jung Chang

A story of three generations from the perspective of Chinese women - it begins with the grandmother who was a concubine, with bound feet... through the Sino-Japanese war, and into communism and living under Mao...

It made me realize how blessed I am.
Holly
hpilgrim
hpilgrim

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:27 pm

Gonna add it to my "to buy" list, Holly.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down