migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible Allergy

2 posters

Go down

Possible Allergy Empty Possible Allergy

Post  BabySeal Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:19 pm

I have been on Topomax as a preventative for a little while and side effects aside it has been a godsend reducing the number and severity of my migraines... apart from the bad one that snuck past the topomax a few days ago... but still cant complain.

Well I have developed a rash on my whole body since around the time I started taking it and at first I chalked it up to switching laundry detergents.. but it may be from the topomax. I never put the pieces together. It is so itchy, and not so attractive I might add. Rolling Eyes

I really don't want to have to stop taking this med Sad Just a bit of a rant I guess. I am HOPING that a course of steroids clears it up and that it wasn't the topomax after all.

BabySeal

Back to top Go down

Possible Allergy Empty Re: Possible Allergy

Post  Mini Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:31 am

Earlier this year I was given Topomax by my neurologist, but very soon I have developed some painful little blisters on my hands, especially at the tips of my fingers followed by peeling skin around the nails which felt painful and swollen.
Like you, at first I did not associated it with T but since I was also beginning to feel terribly unwell I looked up T side effects and it all scared me so much, that I called my neuro and told him that I am not prepared to take such risks with my health.

Despite taking T for only about six weeks, the peeling skin on the tips of my fingers kept continuing for several weeks and I am left with the new skin which is very thin and makes holding warm, or cold things, uncomfortable.
http://www.drugs.com/sfx/topamax-side-effects.html

You can look for some more information, but as if you have rash you need to seek urgent medical advice.
I am so sorry to be the bearer of such bad news, but T has given me a terrible scare.

I think it is a good idea for you to research further on internet (Topomax side effects) and see your Dr before you make the final decision, if you still wish to continue.
I hope this helps.

BTW T did not make much difference to my head pain, but I started on a very low dose.

Last edited by Mini on Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  BabySeal Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:21 am

WOW sorry topa didn't agree with you!! Thank you for the link, I have researched it for a while before deciding to taking it and I have tons of Med dictionaries at home from school so whenever I go on a new medication my inner nerd comes out and I learn everything about it!!

My Neuro already knows about the rash, so hopefully this course of steroids will get rid of it Smile

BabySeal

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down