migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Waking up with a migraine- just venting

+3
sherri b
k8ate
Kate
7 posters

Go down

Waking up with a migraine- just venting Empty Waking up with a migraine- just venting

Post  Kate Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:16 am

Getting tired of waking up with a m.... Lately, it seems like it is worse in the mornings. I took something yesterday afternoon and it was better. Now it's back again. I've had a lot of stress lately so I'm sure it has added to my m issue. It would be nice to wake up feeling half way decent....I just need some freaking relief.........

Kate

Back to top Go down

Waking up with a migraine- just venting Empty Re: Waking up with a migraine- just venting

Post  k8ate Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:15 pm

Kate, that is the worst way to wake up. Sorry to hear that. I also wake up with them often, and it is hard. My own experience has shown me that I am better off to really medicate the pain and try and knock it out as soon as possible. It sometimes will come back though, when the meds wear off. It is like one long headache, broken up into little parts, over week or so, hovering, waiting to return. When I have gone too long in pain before taking either a triptan or narcotic pain meds, it tends to prolong the headache for me. Yet, sometimes it does not matter what I do or don't do, its in charge of me. Hope you feel better soon.

k8ate

Back to top Go down

Waking up with a migraine- just venting Empty Re: Waking up with a migraine- just venting

Post  sherri b Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:06 am

Have you had a sleep studay done? I just recently went to my pcp, for another reason, and when he saw my med list, he said, "you are a mess!" I wanted to cry, but I told him, no kidding, I don't WANT to be like this!

Anyway to make a long story short, my neuro said I wouldn't have a sleep apnea problem because I am not over weight. But my pcp disagreed, he said he has a man skinnier than me that stops breathing in the night for 3 minutes at a time!

So he is ordering a thing for me to wear on my finger for 24 hours to check my oxygen level, if it's low I will be sent for a sleep study, he said especially for the migraines I am waking up with.

Something to think about, and I will keep you posted as I walk through this....
sherri b
sherri b

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:57 am

I will say that getting a CPAP for my oxygenation issues (not apnea, but breathing so slowly I wasn't getting enough oxygen) really helped with the low level headaches that seemed to 'always' be there. Now I seem to either have a migraine, or feel OK, without any major head pain. It's definitively something to look into.

Sara79

Back to top Go down

Post  dcook60 Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:13 am

sherri, your neuro is very much misinformed about the apnea/weight issue. zillions of normal weight or skinny people have apnea. more overweight people do have it, but the condition is certainly not exclusive to them.

i hope they find out something with the O2 thingy, but there are many other criteria for doing an overnight sleep study. i should know; i've had five of them, yet never had a 24-hour O2 finger test.

yes, please keep us informed about this. dianne

dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:59 am

I've often wondered about this because a lot of times I will wake up gasping for air and I don't sleep well at night. I wake up feeling really tired. I still have a migraine but now it is because of that time of the month. These ones go on for at least a week or more. I'm so sick of migraines....

Kate

Back to top Go down

Post  Jewishmother Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:05 am

Have woken up with migraine pain and dry heaves 2 of the last 3 mornings................can't have my eyes open for more than a few minutes, lifting my head off the pillow is difficult and moving is next to impossible. Don't know what I am doing wrong...........when this happened on Friday I lost the entire day - don't want that to happen again today but don't know how to stop it!
Jewishmother
Jewishmother

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:03 pm

I'm at a lost at what to do too. Lately the m have been worse than normal. I just need a freaking break.............A couple of days would be nice. The Advil and coffee aren't helping at this point so it's just grin and bear it. I'm really pissed now.....

Kate

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:54 pm

Kate, you should ask for an overnight sleep study. If you wake during the night feeling like your gasping for air, and don't feel rested the next day, I'm willing to bet you do have sleep apnea. Those are classic signs. I thought I'd never be able to stand sleeping with a CPAP, but it's not a problem, and I feel so much more rested when I wake up now.
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:23 pm

Brenda, How expensive is a CPAP?

Kate

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:16 pm

My unit total cost was $349 USD, but you've gotta have a prescription in the US to get one. Out of pocket cost for my sleep study, first unit, training, and everything was $212, because that covered my out of pocket deductible.

Sara79

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:27 pm

I don't honestly know. My insurance paid for my unit. I had to pay a copay of $50 for the study, that was my total out of pocket expenses
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down