migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Birth control pill? Better or worse with migraines?

+2
tortoisegirl
Sunny
6 posters

Go down

Birth control pill? Better or worse with migraines? Empty Birth control pill? Better or worse with migraines?

Post  Sunny Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:11 pm

Since I am going up to 150 mg of Topomax ( a dose I never thought I'd be on) my gyn told me that it would affect the pill. Then I had blood work done and my tryglicerides (sp, sorry) are high, so they suggested going off of the pill altogether. My husband is going for a vasectomy in the fall. There's no way I could have another child.

I am a bit worried about the side effects of going off of the pill, since I have been on it for 10 years. Has anyone noticed a difference with their migraines? I'm hoping they don't get worse. Is there any chance my migraines could get better after stopping the pill? Oh, I hope so...

Sunny

Back to top Go down

Birth control pill? Better or worse with migraines? Empty Re: Birth control pill? Better or worse with migraines?

Post  tortoisegirl Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:48 pm

I don't know the percentages, but with people on the pill with migraines, it can really vary--either better on, better off, or no change. I'm surprised you never tested getting off the pill? Thats a pretty common first line idea if you develop migraines while on it. You are lucky your gyn told you about the Topamax interference--I always read up on my meds first so I knew about it (there can be an interaction at any dose, but its worse for low-dose pills and worse at higher Topamax doses), but both my neuro and gyn had told me no interference when I asked! Eeek.

Thats great hubby is going for the V. I think when I'm ready to go the permanent route (childless at 25 but can't even think about kids due to health) I want to seriously look into Essure (non-surgical permanent ovary plugs). Actually higher effectiveness and less invasive that hubby getting a V. Although hubby said he'd be willing when the time comes, I just don't think I could ask him to do that being childless. Can't wait to get off the pill due to the limitations with med interactions such as antibiotics, anti seizure headache preventatives, and even Provigil (doctors think it would help my fibro fatigue). Best wishes.

tortoisegirl

Back to top Go down

Birth control pill? Better or worse with migraines? Empty Re: Birth control pill? Better or worse with migraines?

Post  Migrainegirl Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:00 am

If you do run into problems after going off the pill, look into bio- identical progesterone. It has helped me quite a lot.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:10 pm

My migraine got much better after I went off the pill - this was done on my gyn recomendation.
I think it is very individual response, so you might not know until your try.
I hope whatever your decide in the end that it will help you with your migraines.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:37 am

My gyn (nurse practitioner) tried me on BC pills. The migraines actually got worse on them, and my regular doctor noticed they made my blood pressure go up. He was less than pleased that she gave me BC pills. He said they're often a problem for migraine patients....especially those over 35.
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  AlexB Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:36 am

Topamax may decrease the serum concentrations of estrogens and progestins and in that way decrease the effectiveness of birth control pills. But the risk is greatest for topamax doses of 200 mg per day or higher.

AlexB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down