migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

obesity and migraine

3 posters

Go down

obesity and migraine Empty obesity and migraine

Post  Migrainegirl Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:51 pm

An interesting study showing that the majority of obese patients who got bariatric surgery for weight loss also managed to get rid of their migraines, particularly for those whose migraines started after they were obese. I've no idea why this would be so, but apparently it is. No idea what it means for those of us who have migraines but are not obese either.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/ASMBS/27119
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

obesity and migraine Empty Re: obesity and migraine

Post  Jangel Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:51 pm

Hi Migraine Girl~

I was quite obese 2 years ago when I embarked on a weight loss program. I am proud to say that I have lost 50 lbs and am no longer obese, and just a couple of pounds shy of a very healthy BMI. I have lost over 25% of my body weight. I have had migraines for years (though they have gotten worse since entering peri-menopause) both as overweight and obese.

BUT, it has had absolutely no effect on the migraines and near daily head pain whatsoever - I wish it had. It looks like in this study, the participants were extremely obese, based on the % of their weight lost.

I also wonder what role the bariatric surgery plays in the migraine improvement for these patients too - as opposed to losing weight via dieting.

I can tell you that it's been challenging to lose this weight while having chronic migraines, especially since I have a limited ability to exercise and often don't feel very well.

That said, I do take these studies with a grain of salt because I don't want the medical establishment to be blaming migraneurs for yet another thing. It's a slippery slope. I am all for everyone taking control of their overall health. Eating a healthy diet and losing excess weight is a good thing. Whether it helps our migraines....I am skeptical....

Thanks for sharing!
Jane
Jangel
Jangel

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:33 pm

Jane
Congrats on losing the weight. That is awesome! Particularly with the migraines going on. While I don't qualify as overweight according to my doctor, I'd dearly love to lose about 20 lbs.

Sorry it did not help the migraines. I think you are probably right about the barriatric surgery. There seem to be so many variables effecting migraine it is very hard to sort out.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  stephgood Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:41 pm

I gained a lot of weight AFTER getting the migraines. I have lost it, but it didn't seem to make a difference either way. The rest of me feels better from having lost the weight though! My weight gain was a medication/inactivity issue. With the limited activity I was able to do, meds wouldn't allow me to lose any weight.
stephgood
stephgood

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down