migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Migraine after exercise

+3
jagmig
stephgood
omatic
7 posters

Go down

Migraine after exercise Empty Migraine after exercise

Post  omatic Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:47 pm

I have been getting migraines after exercise. I lightly eat 45mins before and take Mg. I drink an Vitalyte during and after the workout and eat as soon as I get home. Any other sugestions? Anyone try Cayenne pepper with success?

omatic

Back to top Go down

Migraine after exercise Empty Re: Migraine after exercise

Post  stephgood Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:25 pm

for me almost anything that heats me up or really gets my blood pumping will cause a migraine. I haven't found any real treatment. I have to get into a cool shower and literally lower my body temp. This seems to help bring down the pain too.
stephgood
stephgood

Back to top Go down

Migraine after exercise Empty Exercise Migraine

Post  jagmig Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:27 pm

I have been using Indomethacin to avoid post-exercise migraine. I exercise early in the morning and I would frequently get very severe headaches later in the morning. Now I take an Indomethacin before I go to the gym. It really works.

jagmig

Back to top Go down

Post  dcook60 Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:55 pm

are you aware that vitalyte is mostly sugar, in glucose form? it also contains citric acid, which is NOT made from citrus as the name would have you believe, but is an MSG-like ingredient.

maybe this has nothing at all to do with your migraines, but it might be worth a try to use something less artificial as a fluid replacer? dianne
dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

Post  living Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:01 pm

Good point regarding that drink dcook. What kind of exercise are you currently doing? I also get migraine if I do exercise - I get over heated. . I think it's from the Topamax. I saw an exercise physiologist and she advised simply taking it easier. I had been running on a treadmill Monitor your heart rate and keep it lower than you have been. Perhaps 130. How high have you been taking it? Walking is a very good form of exercise - although it takes a lot longer! Could you try doing walking instead?

living

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:06 pm

I've given up exercise. Anything that stresses my body or makes me sweat triggers migraines or makes them worse.
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  Jangel Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:37 am

Sorry to hear that so many have this problem, but I am glad that I am not the only one.

I too have exercise as a migraine trigger. My Dr. said to continuously drink very cold/iced water while exercising and afterwards, which I do, and to not get too overheated.

On warm/hot days I work out on my elliptical in front of the AC. Even on cooler days I still end up with a migraine alot of the time after working out on the elliptical.

I used to jog...forget that! That is an instant migraine for me!

I find that bike riding is a little less intensive and I don't end up with a migraine as often, nor do I with hiking if I take it slower. The problem is, I like to sweat and to get aerobic exercise, so this has been a real bummer of having this disease. Just another thing I've had to limit myself with.

I am trying to lose weight, so the limit on exercise has no doubt made this process more difficult and much slower than the average person too. But I guess we are certainly not the average person.....:-)
Jangel
Jangel

Back to top Go down

Migraine after exercise Empty Thanks for replies

Post  omatic Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:49 am

Thank you for all the replies! I exercise with kettlebell interval training 3 days a week and walk the other days. I love kettlebells which has done amazing things for my body. I get the migraines after kettlebell class. The migraines are getting more frequent. I will be giving up Vitalyte due to the citric acid -hidden MSG! I will make up a mixture myself. Cool down....okay. I was thinking of a cold towel for the base of my neck during and after class. I currently don't take Rx meds. I have been working with EFT, OTC tylenol and cayenne. Cayenne worked great yesterday. Hope not a fuke.

omatic

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down