migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dear old paracetamol

+2
02R96
Ivy
6 posters

Go down

Dear old paracetamol Empty Dear old paracetamol

Post  Ivy Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:07 am

Last December I hit 20 migraines in a month. It was a horrible month, too busy and too stressful. I had to function and took all that I can to avoid to miss work.
This is not the worst record in my life, but bad enough to decide to take a vacation from ergots and possible rebounds.

So, at the beginning of January, I tried something that I had never taken into consideration before. Paracetamol at the very first symptoms of an attack.
I had tried paracetamol in the past, but probably I took it too late, when the pain was already too intense.

Anyone else finds paracetamol helpful? At which dosage?

Take care
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Dear old paracetamol Empty Re: Dear old paracetamol

Post  02R96 Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:08 am

Hello Ivy,

I'm guessing you are not in the US? Here we call it acetaminophen or by it's common brand name Tylenol. You'll also see it's chemical name abbreviated as APAP.

It's a very low power pain reliever more for common aches and pains or headaches. It can be mixed with other pain relievers and narcotics as a booster to enhance the effectiveness of the other drug.

In my case I can down a whole bottle and not have it touch my migraines.

Last edited by 02R96 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
02R96
02R96

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:19 am

It has absolutely no effect on my migraines.

Becky
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:45 am

Nope. Works like dung, I find a bit better success with Ibuprofen however that barely does anything either. If you try that though, take with a cup of coffee. I do that with ibuprofen sometimes at very early onset of mild migraine and it dulls it down.

This medication has a risk of rebound as well. Please keep that in mind before you take it on a constant basis.

Wish you a much better month and success with whatever you choose to use. Smile
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:26 am

I live in Europe, but I know Tylenol and tried it.
I was also very surprised that paracetamol worked if taken very early. The problem is to understand from minor symptoms that migraine is arriving and that it's not only stiffneck or fatigue due to overwork or anything else....

Lovegia, I tried Ibuprofen as well but it makes nothing for my pain.

Bye
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Dear old paracetamol Empty parcetamol at the early stages

Post  dizzyflower Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:05 am

I have found a similar thing with aspirin, but I think it does something else too because it seems that the lenght of my migraine is shortenned. But I don't even bother trying to completely stop the pain when it reaches the point that it feels like someone is sticking bolts through my head. I think that if I can do the right things at the early stages I can really affect what happens over the next few days, but then for me sudafed type decongestant sometimes helps and I don't know why.

Tylenol is paracetamol isn't it? I know I've heard of it but have never looked at a label to check, (From England).

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Post  theresae Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:18 pm

i have found that although paracetamol doesnt help with the pain of a migraine, it does help with the hot flushes and temp that i seemed to get with some of the migraines, sometimes my face and forehead is so hot, my husband will feel my forehead with his hand and says that i am burning up. i dont get it with all migraines, but i do find paracetamol is helpful when i do.
theresae
theresae

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down