migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to forum.....Migraine help/advice

3 posters

Go down

New to forum.....Migraine help/advice Empty New to forum.....Migraine help/advice

Post  jweaver Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:25 pm

So I am new to the forum, not so new to migraines. I have been having migraines for the last 6-7 years. At first they were very few and far between, maybe 1 every 6 months. As they became for frequent, I have tried more medications. None of the over-the-counters work. Have tried triptans with no success either. I have a series at our local hospital, an abortive. I currently get demeral, phenergrine and toradal. Right now, I get the headache at least once a week, generally on the same day as the week before. Some of my headaches are several shot (3-5 shots) headaches. For the last two years, I have had sleep issues. I take ambian (10 mg)and trazodone (50 mg), sleep at night. Recently, my doctor tried to switch me over to lyrica twice a day and elavil. They made me moody, emotional and sleep deprived. Not to mention, I was still getting my regularly scheduled headache, so I went back to ambian and trazodone. I have been referred to a neuro, and meet with that doc next month and I meet with my doc tomorrow. So, my question for the mean time is, what do you do for headaches? Experience with topomax or neurontin? Which do you prefer? Any ideas, suggestions or advice is appreciated.

jweaver

Back to top Go down

New to forum.....Migraine help/advice Empty Re: New to forum.....Migraine help/advice

Post  stephgood Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:37 pm

I have tried both topomax and neurontin. Neither worked for me. That doesn't mean that they might not work for you though. I didn't notice any side effects with Neurontin. Topomax made some of my hair fall out ( I have plenty though it wasn't noticable!) and changed the taste of some foods. Different people have different experiences with medications though. Have you taken the ambien and trazodone for 2 years? Or have you been having the sleep issues for two years and now you take those meds? I was just curious. It seems odd to me that you are getting the headaches generally a week apart on the same day. Personally I would look into something that you are doing repeatedly that day or the one before that might be triggering it. I don't know, just a suggestion. I am not much help I know, but keep me updated!! Very Happy
stephgood
stephgood

Back to top Go down

New to forum.....Migraine help/advice Empty Re: New to forum.....Migraine help/advice

Post  jweaver Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:46 pm

I have been taking ambian for a little over 18 months and trazodone for the last 6 months. The ambian got to where it wasn't working well alone, so my doctor gave me trazodone to take with it. I have had the sleep issues for the last two years and started with the meds when it became unbearable. Some of my triggers are fuel fumes (like car exhaust, which is bad because I own a diesel truck), cigerette smoke ( am a non-smoker for 18 months), pms,drastic weather changes, clear and cold days (I get alot of them in the spring in Alaska!). What I think I suffer from is cluster headaches that splinter into migraines. After a year of being in the ER almost weekly, I finally got a referral out. Now, if they had only done that last year, as I was at my out of pocket limit for the insurance Very Happy

jweaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:36 pm

Welcome JWeaver. You should find lots of good advice here.

Personally Topomax did not work for me as it made me severely nauseas after about 1 week on the drug so I had to discontinue. Other people have had other side effects including hallucinations and mental issues. But for some it has worked. So best advice is to start with a low dose and ramp up very slowly to see if it will work for you.

I never tried nuerontin, so no recommendations there.

I agree with Stephgood, it would be useful to find out what is magic about the 7 day cycle. Are you noise or light sensitive? Some noises (like high pitched sounds, church organs) can trigger migraines as can certain types of lights (flourescents are a problem for many). Maybe you have something consistently different for dinner or lunch? I know in many cases it is really hard to tell. I cant find any consistent food or drink triggers myself.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  stephgood Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:31 pm

Have you tried the Oxygen therapy? I have heard and seen it used for cluster headaches with great results. If you haven't kept the food/ daily living diary yet, I would suggest you do so. I just feel that with a consistent cycle like that it may be something you are coming in contact with on a regular basis. I have never really found any food triggers myself. I did drink a glass of cheap red wine recently ( I never drink, so I know that is what it was) and within literally an hour or so got a slammer! Good luck and keep us posted!
stephgood
stephgood

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down