migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question on painkillers

+7
Migrainegirl
Paradox
rileyoday
02R96
jwar
Petzi
Enigma
11 posters

Go down

Question on painkillers Empty Question on painkillers

Post  Enigma Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:25 am

I've been taking Tylenol 3 (codiene) for many years and it just isn't doing anything anymore. I'm left clenching through the pain while the monster takes it's toll.

My doctor knows base knowlege about migraines and is receptive to prescribing what I suggest. (within reason).

What is the next step in painkiller prescriptions for migraines?

Enigma
Enigma

Back to top Go down

Question on painkillers Empty Re: Question on painkillers

Post  Petzi Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:47 am

Triptans!

P.
Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  Enigma Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:57 am

I take Imitrex but it takes many hours for those to work. I need a painkiller while those abort the problem.
Enigma
Enigma

Back to top Go down

Post  jwar Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:03 am

Toradol injections.
jwar
jwar

Back to top Go down

Post  02R96 Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:09 am

Imitrex Injectable. Comes in a home kit via prescription (available in a generic).

It doesn't hurt at all and it's saved me many times. Starts working within minutes after use.
02R96
02R96

Back to top Go down

Post  Petzi Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:14 am

Imitrex injections are brutal. I can't take them. I collapsed on the floor like some junkie who just ODed on heroin.

P.
Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Question on painkillers Empty painkiller

Post  rileyoday Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:27 am

I added tramadol for treatment because triptans gave me joint pain. it was better with than without. I have seen others here that have posted tramadol also.

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

Post  jwar Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:29 am

Tramadol is a centrally acting opiod anagelsic. It's not the same thing as Toradol, which is a very potent NSAID. You should ask your doctor about trying a Toradol injection sometime - they have given me nearly instantaneous relief from even the most horrible of attacks.
jwar
jwar

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:24 pm

I have great success with toradol injections, unfortunately I 'm only allowed four a month. For the other 20 days a month I do use narcotics.

Please note that I did do a drug holiday for four months to rule out rebound or MOH (medication overuse headaches).

I'm one that doesn't have success with triptans.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  jwar Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:41 pm

Charlotte,

I am allowed 5 injections per week!

- Jayme
jwar
jwar

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:22 pm

I use a small dosage of Oxycodone, but that only takes the edge off it. The migraines still proceed on. Sometimes I have had luck with Migraten, but I have not heard it discused here much.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Petzi Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:17 pm

I am jealous now! I am not allowed any toradol injections. I shall demand them now too ... Suspect

P.
Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  lissy Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:24 am

I tried Tramadol once and had allergic reaction to it ....sweating, nausea, dizzy & light headed, BP went through the roof.
lissy
lissy

Back to top Go down

Post  finnosian Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:52 am

toetdol injections can be a life saver for sure. I usually take them if the narcotic doesn't work. Becuase of insurance they cover any amout of opoids, but only 10 toradol injections a month....but they are well worth it in the toughest times. In the hospital they usually give me bendryl, toradol, and comazine. Since i have this combo at home i can treat most headaches here at home. Again the injection takes a bit of getting used to, but it is well worth it.

B

finnosian

Back to top Go down

Post  Jangel Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:43 am

The Toradol I've gotten in the ER has been a lifesaver in terms of rescue. Most painkillers (percocet or Tylenol #3) just take the edge off.

I've asked my Dr for some at home injections of Toradol and was just told no - due to safety issues. I am quite upset since I see that some migraneurs have this option. I have no relable rescue and the abortives aren't working very well right now - not to mention I am having more and more headaches.

I don't know what to do. I cannto got to the ER every other week! I feel so desperate! Thanks for letter me vent.
Peace,
Jane
Jangel
Jangel

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:37 pm

Interesting Jayme, I was told by both neuros that it was too hard on the kidneys to take more frequently. Hmmm...I can't find my prescription bottle to give you the exact dosing info.

Once I went to the ER when the IV toradol at home didn't work and the ER Doctor who thought I was a druggie was very generous and gave me more Toradol, BUT, he did it along with a hour and half IV saline flush to help my kidneys. Man was I mad (this was before I went on a pain management regime).

Jane, I have been very grateful to my neuros for letting me have injectable toradol at home. It has saved me so many trips to the ER.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  jwar Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:02 pm

Charlotte,

Sometimes I think my doctor is a little too lax about medications. From what I understand you can do 5 toradol injections a week, but only for very short term (i.e., one week). But he didn't give me any limits. Things like caffeine, MOH, etc don't phase him at all. For what it's worth, I would never take that much toradol; if I needed 5 toradol injections in a week to kill a migraine, god help me.

-Jayme

jwar
jwar

Back to top Go down

Post  jwar Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:05 pm

P.S. I hope like hell that my purse never gets searched by police. Not only do I have various narcotics and other pill bottles in there, but now I'm carrying around nefarious looking brown vials, syringes and two different sized needles as well.

I'm pretty sure I'd go to jail. I think I'd be let out once everything could be verified, but I think they'd just slap some handcuffs on and wheel me away.

On the other hand, if someone ever steals my purse, they will have hit a gold mine! Laughing
jwar
jwar

Back to top Go down

Post  tortoisegirl Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:43 am

I don't think they'd take you in for questioning unless you had been at fault in an accident (and then, they don't care if the meds are prescription if they think you are impaired). Something to know your local laws on. It is however very important to always have your narcotics and similar meds in the original bottles. I ask for a duplicate in the smallest size so I have some at home and some in my purse (also good for it for some reason they get lost/stolen). I have a large pouch that takes up half my purse of all my meds and such...a bit of everything including otc stuff and my narcotics. Sucks that I can't get the cute little purses anymore because I have too much to carry around. I'm always scared someone will look in there as I don't tell anyone I'm on narcotics. I'd just make sure you have the needles and such in something inside your purse so they don't fall out unexpectedly. I've heard some crazy stories of people getting meds stolen, so always best to not tell anyone what you have, and if there is any sort of danger (kids in the house, houseguests), best to have a safe. I too have had doctors one one end or the other of the spectrum on meds...either prescribe more than I think is necessary, or way stingy (ie. none at all...told to take Aleve lol).

tortoisegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:54 pm

I know what you mean, Jayme. I pack my bottles with cotton so I don't rattle when I walk!

I do the same thing Kate does, smaller original containers. Plus, very few people know what and how much I take. I figured up the street value one time. I don't want to be that kind of target.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:06 pm

Jwar, I once had my Oxy stollen out of my purse which was a big problem because I was on travel in another state and had no way to get anymore until I got back home which involved another plane flight guaranteed to induce a migraine. Since then I have made sure to keep all drugs safely zippered away in a separate compartment not prone to pickpockets.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down