migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

yawning studies

+4
lissy
jwar
Petzi
dcook60
8 posters

Go down

yawning studies Empty yawning studies

Post  dcook60 Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:20 pm

very fascinating ny times article posted on the thread below.....scientists don't have a clue why we yawn, though many inconclusive studies have been done.

here's what i've noticed, and it hasn't anything to do with my migraines. i'll be lying on my couch, with two couch pillows propping up my head and back so i can read or watch a dvd. the lower down my head is propped, the more i yawn. for no apparent reason, because i'm not sleepy.

so for me, at least, it has to be positional. BUT i don't yawn while lying flat except for my chiari pillow, in bed. strange stuff. dianne
dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

yawning studies Empty Re: yawning studies

Post  Petzi Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:30 pm

Diane,

I yawn an awful lot before a migraine is coming on. For me it is a warning sign.

P.
Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  jwar Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:01 pm

Yawning is a warning sign for me, also. I never even realized it until my mother told me that when I was a kid she could always tell when one of my headaches was coming by how much I was yawning.
jwar
jwar

Back to top Go down

Post  lissy Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:40 pm

me too!! Not always a regular warning me me but I know if its a bad one I yawn. So strange!
lissy
lissy

Back to top Go down

yawning studies Empty yawning

Post  dawn.binks Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:30 am

we were told at 2 recent mig conferences that yawning is one of the signs a mig is on its way!!
dawn.binks
dawn.binks

Back to top Go down

Post  dcook60 Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:03 am

i WISH it were a warning sign for me. since i've been so sleep deprived for 25 years, it's probably just that i'm pooped, and don't realize how sleepy i am, , because i'm nearly always that way. dianne
dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:59 pm

I'll take note the next time I have a migraine. As far as I know the only time I yawn is when I'm bored. Then I can hardly quit yawning.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  ajr Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:05 pm

My son used to yawn A LOT when he was having really bad migraines with the nausea and our doctor said that he was yawning because that is an attempt to fight the nausea. I found that interesting because it seemed to make sense at that time. But of course not everyone is yawnind because they are nauseous. I thought it also had something to do with your brain trying to get more oxygen...that's what I had heard.
ajr
ajr

Back to top Go down

Post  Swisslady Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:14 am

When I read your postings about jawning, I finally decided to register. I have been looking into this page for some months now after the forum in migrainepages in German language didn't satisfy me anymore.
Jawning is definitely a warning sign for me. Not all my migraines start with it, but this is the case often in the early evening. Most of the time and at least till the next day, it helps to have a really strong, machine made (!) espresso with sugar. You may have heard the advice of joining lemon juice. I have tried it - it is absolutely dreadful - and it didn't help more.
For those who'd like to know a bit more about me: I am a bit over 60 now, have been suffering from migraine since I was 20, and like many of you have tried "everything" against it. I had so much hoped to get rid of it after the menopause as my mother did, but in vain. It even got from bad to worse. I cannot make it with less than 10-12 Relpax a month. They help quite well still, thank God, though I am not at my best afterwards, of course. I live in the neighborhood of Berne, the capital of Switzerland. My mother tongue is German, so please excuse that my English won't be perfect. If I make a really bad mistage, I'll be thankful if you let me know.
Very kind regards to all of you and all the best!
Swisslady
Swisslady

Back to top Go down

Post  Petzi Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:24 am

Gruezi Swisslady!

Welcome to the forum. I am Austrian ... it's nice to have another German speaker here.

P.
Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:40 am

Swisslady - Your English is great--better than some who have it for their first language. Smile I just turned 60. My migraines did not start until
late 40;s. I also thought they would go away with menopause. Didn't happen. Welcome to the forum.

estre004

Back to top Go down

yawning studies Empty where is the thread......

Post  Guest Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:32 pm

the thread is not showing.....is it on yours....

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down