migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Being a "trooper" sometimes doesn't pay off!

+4
pen
Paradox
alli
Stillhurtin
8 posters

Go down

Being a "trooper" sometimes doesn't pay off! Empty Being a "trooper" sometimes doesn't pay off!

Post  Stillhurtin Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:18 am

So Saturday night I felt a doozy comin on but thought I was just maybe fatigued from doing 75 min of Hot Yoga Friday night and an hour of KyukiDo class Sat a.m. (new years resolution to get back in shape). Anyway, so I felt Like I should lie down but didn't want to dissapoint hubby and cancel our date night dinner plans. So I went. Half way there, as the lights of the oncoming traffic were nauseatingly bright, I knew an M was comin. I was able to enjoy dinner and crashed out while putting Austin ( my 3 yr old ) to bed.

I woke up in a ton of pain only to find hubby had woke early to paint out family room and bath room. So halfway down the stairs a big whiff of paint fumes sealed the deal! I was miserable!

But... ( here comes the trooper part Wink ) hubby was in the middle of his project and my boys were sooo looking forward to this birthday party for a child of one of my friends at this aquarium, so, I downed the meds, threw on some clothes, and off I went! So a snow/ sun mixed
car ride later and there I am in a giant pet store/ aquarium with 943 ( ok that's how many it felt
like there were, for real) 3-6 yr olds and birds that talked and puppys yapping and rodents that
stunk and pretentious parents I had to pretend I was happy to see again. Oh yeah, I wanted to
die! Not to mention, the place was all windows and I tried to remove my sunglasses, couldn't
take the light at all, so I kept them on. People gave me the weirdest looks, I was so annoyed!
even my BFF said "what are you a moviestar today?" ugghhh ! Don't you hate ppl who just don't get it sometimes????
I got home ( barely ) and flopped on the couch with ice and my hubby was very understanding... UNTILL... His drug addict brother called and needed help moving his things from some warehouse he had used for his company before it went under and now he was getting kicked out of the storage space and HAD to be out before Monday morning ( and I'm sure this is the first he had heard of this right??? Ughhh!) and so, of course, bc god forbid anyone in that family not
enable the poor little baby ( who is 30 something btw ) I was left on my own with my two kids for
the rest of the night.

Needless to say.... My Migraine HATES me this morning, and i had to call into work. Thus, the moral of my story.... Sometimes being a trooper does NOT pay off!!!
Stillhurtin
Stillhurtin

Back to top Go down

Being a "trooper" sometimes doesn't pay off! Empty Re: Being a "trooper" sometimes doesn't pay off!

Post  alli Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:43 am

No it doesn't. I'm so sorry you feel so bad. I've been there so many times and even though it doesn't pay off, sometimes that is all you can do. I raised both my kids while having chronic migraines. It sucked but there where so many times that I just did things even though I knew I would pay for it so that my kids had some sort of "normal" mom. This is where we develop the ridiculous pain tolerance that migrainers have. Which is a blessing and a curse. Most people would be curled up in a ball crying their heads off, but we put on our sunglasses and smile through the pain. And listen to stupid remarks from people who don't get it at all.

I hope you can take it easy today and get the pain under control.

Hugs,
Alli
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Being a "trooper" sometimes doesn't pay off! Empty Re: Being a "trooper" sometimes doesn't pay off!

Post  Paradox Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:48 am

I get ridiculous remarks all the time when I wear my sunglasses at work. I now just look at people and say "I'm cooler than you". Cool

It's amazing the stamina we can come up with when it comes to our kids. But yes, we sure pay for it later.

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Being a "trooper" sometimes doesn't pay off! Empty Brave or stupid

Post  pen Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:31 pm

I hear you. I dont get to leave the house that often. I usually have to push it, and I get it wrong.
I think its a fine line between being brave and being stupid. I have regretted trying too hard because I get a better day.
(I only have better days, I never have good days). So, because I dont know when the next one might come, I push myself.
Often I really should be listening to my heart not my head (which is hurting anyway).

My husband is very patient. We havent actually had to turn around too many times, but a lot of trips (only local, I dont travel) have had to be cut short.
What else can one do though....
If I didnt push it i would never leave the house.
Mad

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:29 pm

I had that time on Christmas day. I was so overly tired and that afternoon we went to friends for a few hours. I knew I was pushing myself and I paid for it later(big time). It is annoying when others don`t get it.But like one poster said, they would be curled up in a ball. That`s what others don`t get, they couldn`t handle life living like we do. I wear my sunglasses all the time and I`ve had comments before too.

Kate

Back to top Go down

Being a "trooper" sometimes doesn't pay off! Empty this might work once a year or more often with changing audiences

Post  crt Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:07 pm

fiI was reminded of this because I had an eye exam the Friday. One always has to wear very dark sunglasses after having one's eyes dilated for an exam. I was reminded that folks are much more willing to accept "eye exam" as a reason for sunglasses inside than they do migraines.

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  Almostangela Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:20 am

I was glued to your story. Boy do I remember days like that (except my ex was always annoyed with my migraines, and thus... is my ex). My kids grew up respecting and knowing that they didn't miss out much because I did things for them regardless of the pain and now when I have pain, they are very mindful to be extra helpful.

Sometimes you have to bow out, and sometimes you get caught up in a bad storm in a bad situation, but you are a strong and good person for going that extra two miles in your condition. Others would be kicking and screaming, but you are a tough bugger. Lets hope there are no more days like that in your future.

Angela
Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

Post  02R96 Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:26 am

Been there, done that, still doing it.

It's the hardest thing to do, especially when your kids are involved. I remember one night the local astronomy club was having a demonstration at one of the parks, and I had been hyping it up to the kids (they were still small then). Of course, the night of the event a thumper hit, but we went anyway (actually it was pretty cool to see the rings of Saturn), but by the time we left, my head felt like it was going to explode. Shocked

But for the kids, I'd do it again.
02R96
02R96

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down