migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ginger Tea... etc

+6
AZgirl
dncr4180
Anna's Mom
jwar
lentils
alli
10 posters

Go down

Ginger Tea... etc Empty Ginger Tea... etc

Post  alli Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:04 pm

My new BF has been getting a crash course in migraine clusters. I was at his house the other day when I got a really nauseating migraine. Of course since I was soooooo prepared, I had none of my usual remedies other than Aleve and aspirin. No ginger pills, chamomille tea, nothing soothing at all.

So in desperation, I made a tea with ground ginger and honey. Oh my lord, what a find! Usually I just take the pills or eat crystalized ginger but I think the tea worked much better. Of course you do end up with a slurry of ground ginger at the bottom of the cup which you can either drink or toss.

It got rid of most of the nausea and cramping for several hours.

And the new BF did an excellent job of asking what he could do and then doing exactly what I wanted, which was nothing except feed me when I got hungry. No comments, no overly solicitiousness, just let me be miserable in peace. In our short time together he is proving to be a gem as regards to my health issues. Even when my face goes off, he just holds my hand and waits with me til the atack passes. Since that is a very scary experience for most people, as they don't know what is happening, just that I am all of a sudden in extreme pain, just holding my hand (and letting me squeeze it to death) is what I need. Nothing helps so trying to fix it just makes me feel bad.

Now if the stupid migraines would just let up..... On day 3 of this one. Bleah.

alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Ginger Tea... etc Empty posting a reply

Post  lentils Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:50 pm

All I can say is...you found this guy on the internet? You hit the lottery in the internet dating sweepstakes:)! I hope you're better now.

lentils

Back to top Go down

Ginger Tea... etc Empty Re: Ginger Tea... etc

Post  jwar Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:57 pm

Very glad to hear of your newly found support system. You certainly deserve it, Alli!
jwar
jwar

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:07 am

Oh, yes!

How cool the "tea" helped.

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:46 am

I did hit the jackpot. He is pretty awesome. Smile
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  dncr4180 Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:26 pm

I have some store-bought ginger tea,but I haven't tried it yet. Interested to see if it works.
dncr4180
dncr4180

Back to top Go down

Post  AZgirl Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:45 pm

Three cheers for the new guy's support. Also sounds like you have prepared him well, too. Sorry you have to suffer through, however. Boo, no one wants that.
AZgirl
AZgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  survivor Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:56 pm

What does it taste like? I hate teas of all sort. That was my mother's cure all for everything. I drank so much hot tea as a child that I associate it with medicine.

If my husband sees me with tea he knows I am really sick.

survivor

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:50 pm

Well I'm impressed with the new BF. Sounds like a great find!

The tea is a good idea too. Once when I was on vacation and did not have any Ginger pills I took a teaspoon of ground Ginger from a spice bottle and washed it down with Pepsi. Yuck! I had a terrible taste in my mouth all day and awful "repeats". I do not recommend that route.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:21 am

Alli,

Congrats on the new BF--sounds like a gem!

How much ground ginger and honey did you use in your tea? I'd like to try it.

Take care! flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:07 am

Hi,

I have always found that ginger helps my migraines. Crystallized Ginger- I eat it plain. (the salesperson at a store once asked what I was going to make with four tins of crystallized ginger, I replied "Nothing I just eat it. She didn't believe it until she saw me eat it." ) I love it. Ginger Beer- the kind with actual ginger in it also helps.
Sometimes, when it was really bad and we didn't have any crystalized or good ginger beer on hand, my roomate poured itno juice, it was great.

It also sounds like you have found a great BF. Does he have a brother? (Just kidding)

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:44 am

I use a heaping 1/4 teaspoon of ginger and a generous teaspoon of honey in about 8 oz of water. And just sip. It's good hot or cold.

I find the taste very soothing. Not too strong and man does it help my stomach!

Yeah, when we started to get a bit serious, I sat him down and told him that I am in pain almost everyday but ignore what I can. Nothing makes it better in the long run. I can only deal day to day and have to be very flexible about plans as they may change in just a small amount of time.

The way he looks at it is by our age, everybody has something to deal with healthwise and it's just part of being with someone you love. I'm so glad it doesn't scare him. He did nurse his wife through cancer so definitely has the compassion and strength to be with someone with health issues. When they say the good ones are already married, there is a point to that. I'm just glad a met a widower who is young and wants to build a new life with a new partner.

So people... even chronic migrainers, fibro patients, and those with nerve pain can still find someone who does want to be with them. Keep looking. Smile
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down