migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alcohol and migraine

+21
LG
pen
Zekses
LizzieB
cupatea
Ivy
milo
dncr4180
Almostangela
Mule Kick
jwar
Migrainegirl
Paradox
marion
lentils
30yrsofheadache
02R96
Cathy
tinalouise
charmed quark
estre004
25 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Alcohol and migraine - Page 2 Empty Re: Alcohol and migraine

Post  Zekses Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:22 pm

No red wine and no cognak at all for me. These are surefire headache triggers that totally wake the M...onster in 30 minutes. Vodka and beer I just don't like so I pretty much don't drink at all...
Zekses
Zekses

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:36 pm

I really don't know anymore. I thought alcohol was a trigger but lately I've been drinking beer and have been fine. My migraines have always appeared to be on schedule no matter what I do or not do. I'm on a new plan now and have had beer and no migraines, so why not? Even before my new plan it wouldn't matter if I had a couple of drinks or none. I would get the migraine anyway. The only time I won't touch alcohol is
if I have symptoms of one coming on. In that case, I take an abortive and wait until I am clear. I'm not a big drinker but sure enjoy it.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:08 pm

I havent had any for years because it made me feel strange.
At the Christening, I had a half glass of Champagne to toast.
I wasnt really thinking, just drank it.......nothing happened, not even a headache.
Curious now..

P

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:44 pm

It's hit and miss for me, mostly hit though. I am a very social drinker and only indulge during celebration because I am so scared of the consequences. I've had the worst migraines of my life from drinking the wrong wines/beers/combinations. Once I became so ill I was severely dehydrated and couldn't hold down meds, food or any water and it became an emergency as I am now too thin as it is.

I do notice though that if I am careful with what I consume and I drink a glass of water before my first drink and also a glass in between each other alcoholic drink I have, the chance that I get a migraine is much slimmer, almost nonexistant. It's just a pain in the butt!!! Smile
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  annabella Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:07 pm

- Ditto Cindy - but i did feel like the odd one out at parties for a long time, so I ended up taking sparkling apple juice along instead of champers and I love lemon lime bitters and soda water. I no longer vomit and end up in the ER after a good night out. If anyone says anything to me or tries to push alcohol onto me i just ask if they would "care to have your shoes vomited on?''

There are lots of functioning alcoholics in my side family but I dont seem to have got the gene for their tolerance of alcohol Very Happy I no longer miss alcohol, but i used to only drink on social occasions. My girlfriends love a glass of wine or a rum and coke at the end of the day, and I wish sometimes i could join in with them but its not worth the pain afterwards.

I have passed the ''Dr Skinner" alcohol avoidance test and he didn't even have to ring any bells. I would love to be able to have the occasional drink though and not have to worry about the consequences, sigh!
annabella
annabella

Back to top Go down

Post  survivor Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:49 pm

I hate beer so I never drink it. Just the smell of it nauseates me.

I only like semi-sweet wines. I try to only drink it around others so I only drink a glass instead of a bottle. A glass I can handle. A bottle gives me a headache!

Whiskey has no effect upon my head. I will sometimes drink it to help me sleep. My dad seriously used to put whiskey in my bottle when I was an infant.

I think some rums give me a migraine now.

I used to only drink once a year or so. Now it is every couple of months with family.

I know I could easily be an alcoholic. My dad is. Several other family members, too. Used to be I wouldn't drink alone and I wouldn't drink if I was taking any form of prescription meds.

I am 45 years old and my kids are raised. I figure I should enjoy what I want and I occasionally like some booze.

survivor

Back to top Go down

Post  AZgirl Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:31 am

I do not care for beer or red wine, and I only like my white wine mixed with a sprite or 7-up and on the rocks.

I cannot tolerate rum or tequila, both make me vomit very quickly.

I only drink vodka-based drinks (like vodka-cranberry), Bailey's, and Pama. And that is on the rare occasion that you will find me drinking in the first place, which would be about twice a year. I just don't have the taste for it. I would rather have a nice big iced tea.

I limit myself to one drink, because yes, I will get a headache, or a worse headache than what I started with.
AZgirl
AZgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Hal Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:13 am

I don't drink. Learned early that it was senseless to spend good money on getting a migraine. I do cook with wine and beer and the alcohol does evaporate if you cook it and don't just pour it in before you eat.

I gargle with mouthwash and that has alcohol in it. I take cough medicin and that has alcohol in it and I drink Kombucha, a probiotic, on occasion and there is a little alcohol in that. The amount is a very small percentage with no after effects.

Hal
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:40 am

I don't know what would happen if I was to drink enough to actually get a buzz. Too scary for me. I am happy to nurse a drink or two
during social occasions and have found it doesn't have anymore effect than if I was to drink water. I gave it up for a long time thinking
it was a trigger.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2