migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

depression as side effect of triptans?

3 posters

Go down

depression as side effect of triptans? Empty depression as side effect of triptans?

Post  lildetails Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:00 am

Hi!
I'm new to this forum and could not find anywhere if anyone has experienced depression like symptoms after migraine relief with triptans (Zomig, Sumatriptan).

There are things in my life that are bothering me (living up-north with very little light in winters for one thing), but I could be perfectly alright, get a migraine, take the meds (sumaptriptan+ibuprofen+metoclopramid), and once the pain is gone I feel down, hopeless, tired, with no drive to do the simplest tasks in the house, like feeding kids or cleaning-up the table, do the dishes etc. All I can think of is, come the night so I can sleep and not feel all these. And this is when the pain is gone. It really bothers me and now I dread both the migraine and the relief. As a matter of fact I've got a migraine right now and can't decide if I should take the medicine or not.

Hope someone can shed some light on this.

lildetails
lildetails

http://seethelittledetails.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

depression as side effect of triptans? Empty Re: depression as side effect of triptans?

Post  HeelerLady Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:45 am

There definitely is a emotional component to migraines. The triptan I take leaves me so tired and no wanting to do anything. Part of it is still the pain component. My m don't respond well to most pain medications and I am overly emotional and a total wreck. I end up taking my rescue medication and then the panicky, agitated feelings leave.

A lot of folks here experience what we call a migraine hang over. You have taken the drugs and while the worst of the symptoms is gone, you get other ones and for each it is different but not caring about anything other than sleeping is not unheard of. Others might be better able to explain but know you aren't alone.

Becky
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

depression as side effect of triptans? Empty thank you

Post  lildetails Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:12 am

Thank you, Becky for your kind reply and warm encouragement. It's good to know my hang over is probably not due to the medication but rather to the migraine itself. This week I feel better.
Wish you a migraine free week,

Diana
lildetails
lildetails

http://seethelittledetails.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

depression as side effect of triptans? Empty Re: depression as side effect of triptans?

Post  Ivy Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:04 am

welcome Diana.
Migraine itself can cause temporary depression. It probably affects so much the brain chemistry that it can lower all the good hormones that normally make a person happy.

I agree that triptans and/or ergot worsen the situation anyway. They act on the blood stream and probably affect the entire body chemistry.

Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down