migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Excedrin Migraine

+8
charmed quark
pen
Hal
TeriRobert
AuntieBubbs
Kate
lesherb
tinalouise
12 posters

Go down

Excedrin Migraine Empty Excedrin Migraine

Post  tinalouise Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:33 pm

Just bought a bottle today and wondered if anyone has tried it. I find myself basically being fearful that at any moment the aura will happen followed by the mild headache, I never get a bad, pounding type just the annoying, my head doesn't feel quite right achy headache. I wondered if I took it as soon as I have the aura if it will help it at all. Any info is much appreciated.

tinalouise

Back to top Go down

Excedrin Migraine Empty Re: Excedrin Migraine

Post  lesherb Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:15 pm

As long as you're not taking anything else which shouldn't be combined with it, it should be fine. I believe it contains caffeine, which speeds up the absorption. Take it as soon as you feel a migraine coming on.
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:38 pm

It didn`t work for me. It seemed to make it worse.

Kate

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:55 pm

Excedrin Migraine and Extra Strength Excedrin are basically the same thing, and neither work for me.
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  TeriRobert Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:28 pm

Excedrin Migraine is, as someone else said the same thing as Extra Strength Excedrin. When they got FDA approval to market it for Migraine, the FDA made them put it in a different package with a different label. You can also buy the exact same thing in store brands for a fraction of the prices.

There are some people it works for, BUT it doesn't really abort the Migraine. It just relieves some of the symptoms for a few hours. There are a few lucky people whose Migraines are very short, and they think Excedrin Migraine aborts their Migraines. It doesn't. It can't. If a simple combination of acetaminophen, aspirin, and caffeine could abort Migraines, we'd all be much happier and have more money.

Oh, and tinalouise, Excedrin Migraine can't do a think for aura symptoms.

Personally, I'd rather take a couple of tic tacs. They work as well and cost far less. tongue

Teri

TeriRobert

http://www.HelpForHeadaches.com, www.MyMigraineConnection.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:37 pm

lol very good points, Teri, and said much better than I could. Thank you for clarifying that.

I wish it did work for me, but I think because asprin doesn't, that's why excedrin (in any form) doesn't. Caffeine helps my migraines, but doesn't abort them. Isn't there caffeine in imitrex?

Quick question I meant to ask earlier but forgot. Lesherb said "as long as it isn't taken with something it shouldn't". What would be an example of something it shouldn't be taken with?
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Hal Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:52 am

Bubbs,

Allot of high power pain killers also have a large (max) does of acetaminophen or the like. If Excedrin Migraine has the same ingrediant, you would be on an overdose.

Hal
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:53 am

Excedrin Migraine are not sold in the UK. We have Anadin Extra which are almost the same except they have less caffeine and less aspirin.
I often take one of each because I think the caffeine helps me, but I also respond to Aspirin so dont want the lower dose from two Excedrin. (BTW people bring them over for me. Target's own are just as good and as Teri said, a fraction of the cost.)

They dont do a thing for my migraine. That is a Triptan job.
But with the myofascial pain, which can go into migraine sometimes, they do sometimes help.
They are not a quick fix. I find they take at least an hour, can be 90 minutes, but they can help.

I do agree, that if a couple of Excedrin fix your migraine, then you are very lucky and probably have very mild migraine.
Having said that. They contain Aspirin, and there has been a lot about aspirin working for migraine if enough is taken and early enough, recently. Maybe 3 aspirins and a cup of coffee or some cola would be better for that...

Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Excedrin Migraine Empty NSAIDS and aborting migraines

Post  charmed quark Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:11 am

I have to disagree with Teri on this. I have been diagnosed with severe migraine with aura and on occasion I can abort a migraine with NSAIDS if I catch it early enough. Since this makes the prodome and/or visual aura symptoms go away in addition to my other symptoms (nausea, vertigo and balance problems, tinnitus, difficult thinking clearly, speech defects, visual problems, numbness, etc.) I would say it is aborting the migraine, not just suppressing the pain part. My migraines are atypical in that neurological defects are my chief complaint. The pain part I can live with.

Extra-strength Excedren doesn't work at all for me. I've noticed over the years that neither aspirin nor Tylenol do anything for me in general. However, I respond very strongly to ibuprofin (Advil).

If I pop two ibuprofins and have some caffeine with them I can sometimes abort my mild to moderate migraines.

There's another problem with using stuff like Advil or Excedrin on a regular basis. Some doctors think overuse can cause rebound migraines. So they don't recommend using these types of drugs if you have to use them ?3 or more times a week. Instead, you need a preventative. I use a preventative and now only infrequently get migraines. Those that I do get I can often mop up with ibuprofin. But most people get better results with the triptans like Imitrex.

charmed quark

Back to top Go down

Post  tinalouise Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:52 am

That is what I was hoping for. As soon as the aura begins and (usually they start out mild and then before you know it there is a light show going on)if I take the Excedrin i was hoping to get at least a bit of relief with the aura AND the actually headache that occurs after.

tinalouise

Back to top Go down

Post  TeriRobert Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:32 am

It's fine to disagree with me. Disagreements aren't bad when they're polite and constructive, as this one is. Smile

I only want to mention that what I said doesn't come just from my opinion or my experience. This is something I've discussed with several doctors who are Migraine experts. They have all said that NSAIDs cannot work on the Migrainous process in the brain, cannot abort a Migraine or stop aura symptoms. All they can do is relieve inflammation, which is a symptom of the Migrainous process, not the process itself.

All of that said, I hear you. You know what Excedrin does for you. I just wanted to clarify why I posted what I did. My own experience is that NSAIDs do nothing for my Migraines, BUT we all know that doesn't mean they don't help some other people.

Do you ever wish that meds worked more the same for everyone? Seems to me it would make things easier for all of us. Just a dream!

Teri

charmed quark wrote:I have to disagree with Teri on this. I have been diagnosed with severe migraine with aura and on occasion I can abort a migraine with NSAIDS if I catch it early enough. Since this makes the prodome and/or visual aura symptoms go away in addition to my other symptoms (nausea, vertigo and balance problems, tinnitus, difficult thinking clearly, speech defects, visual problems, numbness, etc.) I would say it is aborting the migraine, not just suppressing the pain part. My migraines are atypical in that neurological defects are my chief complaint. The pain part I can live with.

Extra-strength Excedren doesn't work at all for me. I've noticed over the years that neither aspirin nor Tylenol do anything for me in general. However, I respond very strongly to ibuprofin (Advil).

If I pop two ibuprofins and have some caffeine with them I can sometimes abort my mild to moderate migraines.

There's another problem with using stuff like Advil or Excedrin on a regular basis. Some doctors think overuse can cause rebound migraines. So they don't recommend using these types of drugs if you have to use them ?3 or more times a week. Instead, you need a preventative. I use a preventative and now only infrequently get migraines. Those that I do get I can often mop up with ibuprofin. But most people get better results with the triptans like Imitrex.
Smile

TeriRobert

Back to top Go down

Excedrin Migraine Empty NSAIDS aborting migraines?

Post  charmed quark Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:06 am

From my limited understanding, it seems the science of migraines is still developing.

It's difficult to say, from the clinical literature, whether or not a given drug "aborts" a migraine. Most studies measure success as whether a patient is pain free at 2 hours and 4 hours after being a given drug. They don't address whether a drug aborts the migraine or stops aura, etc.

I have no opinion one way or another - as a "sufferer", if a drug helps restore me to "functionality" I am happy.

I think you are referring to NSAIDS and their effect ( or lack of effect) on "cortical spreading depression", CSD, which is considered to be the likely underlying migraine event.

Here's the latest compilation of migraine and NSAIDS research. www.mdpi.com/1424-8247/3/6/1966/pdf
The clinical studies do show efficacy of NSAIDS for migraine, but only in the sense I described above.

Here's what it says on research on CSD and NSAIDS in section 2.1.1.4

The effect of COX inhibition on CSD is controversial. In one experiment ASA failed to modulate CSD in the cat brain [45]. Another work showed that ASA and paracetamol effectively reduced retinal CSD [46]. Pial arteriolar constriction during CSD is mediated by prostanoids in the rabbit [47]. Many studies found a positive correlation between CSD and the expression of COX-2 in the brain [48–50]. It is suggested that prostaglandins play an essential role in the downstream events, mostly the vascular changes after CSD which may play a role in migraine and thus offer another target for NSAIDs during the migraine attack.
Taken together the experimental data suggest that both the peripheral and central portions of the TGV are targets for NSAIDs, and can explain their efficacy in experimental models of the migraine headache. In addition, NSAIDs may modulate activity in central pain control systems such as the PAG which may also be relevant for migraine. Their potential effect on CSD and its neurobiological consequences need to be better studied. One has to keep in mind that the precise pathogenesis of migraine itself is not fully understood and that the deductions from experimental studies must be taken with reservation.

charmed quark

Back to top Go down

Post  tinalouise Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:17 am

So if I am understanding correctly, Excedrin, or any of the OTC medications will not abort the migraine but it is effective with the actual symptoms of the migraine such as the pain. I wasn't so clear about the aura though except that it can possibly make them retreat faster and be less severe if the Excedrin is taken immediately. Please, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

tinalouise

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:53 pm

The only thing that I take for my m are Advil and coffee. That`s whether I have an aura or not. With the aura I drink more coffee and make it stronger plus take Advil. For me, the Advil and coffee only take the edge off. It doesn`t completely go away.

Kate

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:59 pm

Excedrin migraine is Excedrin plus caffeine. It is not the same thing as Excedrin plus or Extra Strength Excedrin which are just higher dosages. Excedrin Migraine was very helpful for my daughter. It seemed to stop her headaches pretty fast. It does not do anything for mine. Her doctor told her that it is important to cut out caffeine, or the Excedrin Migraine will not be effective when you have a headache. It is probably worth a try anyway.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:01 pm

Migrainegirl wrote:Excedrin migraine is Excedrin plus caffeine. It is not the same thing as Excedrin plus or Extra Strength Excedrin which are just higher dosages. Excedrin Migraine was very helpful for my daughter. It seemed to stop her headaches pretty fast. It does not do anything for mine. Her doctor told her that it is important to cut out caffeine, or the Excedrin Migraine will not be effective when you have a headache. It is probably worth a try anyway.

Actually, if you read the ingredients list on both the extra strength excedrin and the excedrin migraine you will find that they are indeed the exact same medication.

It does nothing for me, but it surely doesn't hurt to give it a try. If it works for you, I'm thrilled for you. After 35 years of having bad ones at least twice a week, I'm still waiting on an effective preventive or treatment. One can always hope. lol
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  TeriRobert Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:42 pm

From looking at the Excedrin web site...

• There is no product just called Excedrin.
  • Excedrin Extra Strength contains 250mg acetaminophen, 250mg aspirin, 65 mg caffeine.
  • Excedrin Migraine contains 250mg acetaminophen, 250mg aspirin, 65 mg caffeine.
  • Extra Strength Excedrin Express Gels contain 250mg acetaminophen, 250mg aspirin, 65 mg caffeine.
  • Excedrin Menstrual Complete contains 250mg acetaminophen, 250mg aspirin, 65 mg caffeine.

So, they have two forms of Extra Strength Excedrin, Excedrin Migraine, and Excedrin Menstrual Complete, all of which contain exactly the same ingredients.

So, I go back to my original statement that anyone who wants to use it can save money by buying store brands with the same ingredients. Here are some prices from Walmart:

• Excedrin Migraine, 250 tablets, $13.97, which comes out to 5.6 cents per tablet
  • Equate Extra-Strenght Headache Relief, exact same ingredients as Excedrin Migraine, two 100-tablet bottles, $4.00, which comes out to 2.0 cents per tablet.

Just a thought. Are you in the US? I've never heard of Escedrin Plus, so it occurred to me that maybe you're not in the US, and that could make a difference.

Teri

Migrainegirl wrote:Excedrin migraine is Excedrin plus caffeine. It is not the same thing as Excedrin plus or Extra Strength Excedrin which are just higher dosages. Excedrin Migraine was very helpful for my daughter. It seemed to stop her headaches pretty fast. It does not do anything for mine. Her doctor told her that it is important to cut out caffeine, or the Excedrin Migraine will not be effective when you have a headache. It is probably worth a try anyway.

TeriRobert

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:24 pm

Interesting. That is not what my daughters doctor told me. I guess that is the power of marketing. I stand corrected. Smile
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  TeriRobert Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:03 am

When I saw your post, I thought maybe some of the formulations had changed, so I checked the Excedrin site. I remember when Excedrin Migraine first came out. The FDA dictated that, even though it was the same as Extra Strength Excedrin, they us different packaging and labeling for the Migraine product. It was probably the same with their Menstrual formula.

What really irks me about it is that the company suggests the same retail price, but I've seen many pharmacies charge more for Excedrin Migraine than they do for Extra Strength.

Teri

Migrainegirl wrote:Interesting. That is not what my daughters doctor told me. I guess that is the power of marketing. I stand corrected. Smile

TeriRobert

Back to top Go down

Post  Hal Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:09 pm

It is called "Free Enterprise". The only problem is that there is no honesty or morality in it any more. The all mighty dollar is king (and it isn't all that mighty anymore). The old adage, "Buyer Beware" is even more appropriate these days. Keep smiling and realize that every time you spend money, someone is probably ripping you off. Very Happy

Buy the way, if you buy a bottle of 225 mg aspirin and a bottle of 225 mg acetaminophen, you can take one of each with a cup of coffee or a Coke and get the same results and the price per combined pill really goes down. If you drink Coke, make it diet. There are close to 40g of sugar in a regular Coke and that is alot of calories.

Hal
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  TeriRobert Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:37 pm

I hear you, Hal. I don't use Excedrin for Migraines, but have occasionally used it for other things. I buy the Walmart store brand, Equate, at two cents per tablet. Since I don't use it often, I also keep it in the freezer so I can ignore the expiration date. I feel like I need to be "cheap" when I can because I have Rx meds that I have no choice but to pay the high copays since I need them. No sense in paying almost three times as much for the brand name OTCs.

Teri

Hal wrote:It is called "Free Enterprise". The only problem is that there is no honesty or morality in it any more. The all mighty dollar is king (and it isn't all that mighty anymore). The old adage, "Buyer Beware" is even more appropriate these days. Keep smiling and realize that every time you spend money, someone is probably ripping you off. Very Happy

Buy the way, if you buy a bottle of 225 mg aspirin and a bottle of 225 mg acetaminophen, you can take one of each with a cup of coffee or a Coke and get the same results and the price per combined pill really goes down. If you drink Coke, make it diet. There are close to 40g of sugar in a regular Coke and that is alot of calories.

Hal

TeriRobert

Back to top Go down

Post  hollygolightly Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:43 am

Not only is Excedrin Migraine the same thing as Excedrin Extra Strength, but Excedrin Menstrual -- which sells for $2 more at CVS--has the same ingredients as well.

I actually love Excedrin migraine - it won't touch a migraine though, but if I am suffering from just a headache - then it usually will zap it. The only problem is I have to take 4 of them to get relief--which I know is horrible for your stomach and kidneys/liver.

But if I don't catch a headache when it first starts in - then I end up with a migraine and have to take Imitrex.. so I really have no choice. No other OTC meds help me.. besides Excedrin Migraine/extra strength/menstrual.

hollygolightly

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:10 pm

Hal wrote: If you drink Coke, make it diet. There are close to 40g of sugar in a regular Coke and that is alot of calories.

Hal

Unless you are one of the many of us for whom Nutrasweet (aspartame) triggers migraines. Then just drink a regular one and cut some calories later.
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:00 am

Hi All,

Interesting topic.

Excedrin has helped me at times. I have found that it helps some when I start to have migranous aphasia- inability to think of words. I have no idea why it helps- i think it must the combination of caffeine and aspirin. I have also taken it in college when the headache was there, but not terrible and I absolutely had to get through something or if the headache started to get bad while driving. (I kept a small bottle in my car, when I was driving.}

I inherited my migraines from my father's side of the family. His mother had them, though they were called "sinus headaches" then. My father got them as a teenager- during his first migraine he had numbness and tingling on the right side of his body. He was convinced he had polio. My grandfather, also a doctor said, "No, it is just a migraine." Anyway, his usually went away with aspirin alone. My mother knew that he always had aspirin with him on trips, but did not learn about the migraines until they had been married for ten years and she saw him writing it down in his calendar.

When I saw one neurologist, the only pain medication I was allowed to take was ALeve. It is interesting that they are now learning that NSAIDS only help with pain, but do not about the headache. However, the same can be said for almost all pain medications. Most of us are seeking relief from the severe and horrible symptoms of migraine. For some, abortives work, for others triptans, DHE, and other meds have failed and so we resort to other methods. Pain medicine, implanted nerve stimulators etc.

So, Excedrin helps some. I am glad it does. Though I really hate the fact that many places mark up the price on Excedrin Migraine. I also have an indescribable urge to punch the people who appear in the Excedrin commercial- complaining of a headache one second and playing golf the next. But, maybe that is just me.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:51 am

sailingmuffin wrote:
I really hate the fact that many places mark up the price on Excedrin Migraine. I also have an indescribable urge to punch the people who appear in the Excedrin commercial- complaining of a headache one second and playing golf the next. But, maybe that is just me.

SM, it's not just you. Waiting in line at the pharmacy the other day, the Exc. Migraine commercial played over the loudspeaker a few times, and every time I heard it was like nails on chalkboard. I found myself getting angrier and angrier. Not at people who take and find relief, if you do, that's great and I'm gladd if excedrin works for you. But at the marketing people who came up with that garbage as a way to rook headache/migraine/chronic pain sufferers out of more money by calling Extra Strength Excedrin Exc. Migraine (and Exc. Menstrual, etc. etc.) and chaarging more, and then making those ads that give false hope to people. Exc. Migraine isn't going to abort your migraine - the odds are, you're going to be one of those people who buy it, try it, and endd up in tears because it either didn't work or the pain comes back.
Anyway, by the time I got up to the pharmacy counter, I wanted to lecture the guy behind the counter on how wrong it is to have that ad running over the loud speaker!
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down