migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone ever heard of this?

+5
Ivy
Hal
Migrainegirl
mxgo
tinalouise
9 posters

Go down

Has anyone ever heard of this? Empty Has anyone ever heard of this?

Post  tinalouise Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:54 am

I just heard a chiropractor giving tips on how to stop migraines naturally but what interested me more was that he said in Chinese medicine they believe that Migraine is a result of a energy disturbance in the liver and gallbladder. I find this ironic because my doctor wants me to have a HIDA scan because he thinks my gallbladder is causing my stomach issues but I never would have put the two together as far as migraine is concerned.
Anyone else have issues with their GB or liver that could make this relationship relevant or is this just hocus pocus?

tinalouise

Back to top Go down

Has anyone ever heard of this? Empty Re: Has anyone ever heard of this?

Post  mxgo Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:32 pm

I think that the Chinese Traditional Practitioner is talking about the liver and gall bladder meridians, which may be a different than the actual liver or gall bladder.

I just recently went to an acupuncturist, trained in China, for headaches, who told me the same thing. I asked if my liver was actually in trouble, I believe he said that he was referring to the liver meridian. He also said I had energy (chi) blockages in some of my meridians that were causing the headaches.

I do have gall stones and, lately, I also have stomach issues.

Martin
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  tinalouise Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:42 pm

Thanks Martin. It was a short clip that I saw and it wasn't explained fully. Unsure though if you think there could be a small link between the two or not.

tinalouise

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:59 pm

tinalouise said: "Unsure though if you think there could be a small link between the two or not."

I really don't know. I did have a scan a couple of months, for another issue, I was told I have gall stones.

Martin
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  tinalouise Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:56 pm

Did you have the HIDA? Any info on your symptoms/test might be helpful since I may be dealing with the same issue. Thanks again

tinalouise

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:22 pm

tinalouise, what is HIDA?

I had the scans, as a check up, after I had a kidney removed in Feb 2009, because I had a renal cell carcinoma (rcc) in the kidney. Lucky me, it was contained within the kidney; therefore no chemo or medications. However, I have to have scans, every so often, to check the lungs and other organs for cancer.

The finding of gall stones was incidental to the finding of the rcc. But, I do experience some indigestion, which, I have experienced in the past and goes away for quite a while with famotidine (medical grade pepcid). Next month, I will have to make a appt with the doctor do deal with the issue.

Martin
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:32 pm

Chinese acupuncture is based around the concept of energy flows in the body. So is yoga. They believe illness is due to a blockage in these energy flows. Both yoga and acupuncture are thought to help restore the proper energy flows. So that is what he is reallly talking about.

It does not mean you have a diseased liver or gallbladder necessarily. BTW I had a full scan of all my innards - gallbladder and liver included - last year. They were all fine and not the cause of either my severe nausea (2 months unable to get out of bed) or the chronic daily migraines I was having. The severe nausea finally went away and I believe was a drug reaction to the Lamictal my doctor had prescribed and refused to believe was causing the nausea. He even uppped the dosage when I got the nausea. I think the so called cures for migraine have been at least as bad as the disease.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Hal Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:49 pm

I had my Gall Blader removed many years ago. It had nothing to do with my migraines and has not changed anything as far as migraines go. I have a hard time believing in this energy thing that you are talking about. Maybe if they could lay a thin piece of plastic over my body and sprinkle iron powder on it and show me these energy lines, it might help. Maybe these lines of energy are like the energy refered to in the book "The Holographic Universe". Wierd.

Hal
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:44 am

I think that for the Chinese medicine an imbalance of the liver or/and of kidneys does not necessarily mean that these organs have problems like stones/tumors/cystis/inflammations.
The Chinese concept of "sick" is quite different from what we mean in our western allopatic medicine.
So, a "sick" liver for Chinese medicine may come out perfectly healthy if we do an MRI.
On the other hand, what we consider a problem may have no major meaning for Chinese med.

Accupuncture works for migraine however. I wish I could do it again weekly....

Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:43 am

Migrainegirl:
The severe nausea finally went away and I believe was a drug reaction to the Lamictal

That is what I've been on, for headaches, maybe that is causing my heartburn. How long were you off the med, before your stomach cleared up? I went off for about two or three weeks and the indigestion is still happening?

Martin
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:29 am

It's interesting. I work with someone who has a Master's in Chinese Medicine. All he did was feel my pulse (in both arms because it's apparently different?). He said something about kidney or liver (I forget at the moment) but that it normally appeared as skin issues, which I have none of. His suggestion was to try and anti-inflammatory diet and see if that helped. I haven't been able to - often don't feel well enough to eat like a normal person although I'm a lot better than I was 3 months ago.

Just interesting...
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  tinalouise Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:19 am

It only makes sense that what we put in our bodies is going to have an effect to a degree on our mind/body. If what we are eating is contributing to poor digestion and overall health wouldn't that also be a contributing factor to migraines? I know bacon isn't good for me and could it be that my body is rejecting it by way of the migraines that I have when i eat it? Even Chinese food delivers me a aura/migraine and it is most likely the MSG that my body is trying to reject.
Any thoughts?

tinalouise

Back to top Go down

Has anyone ever heard of this? Empty To MXGO

Post  Migrainegirl Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:25 pm

It was a full 2 months before the lamictal was out of my system and I recovered. I can't tell you how awful that was. I could not go to work. I could not eat most of the day. I was severely nauseas every time I got out of bed. It also left me with severe hyperaccusis that I've only recently gotten over with some rather expensive sound retraining for the ears. But that was worth it as any loud noise (and everything sounded very loud to me) would trigger a migraine. And the last thing any of us need is a new trigger!

I don't know if lamictal can cause heartburn but I would not doubt it. It really was a major problem for me. I most certainly would not recommend it to anyone.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Has anyone ever heard of this? Empty HIDA

Post  dcook60 Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:22 pm

years ago, i bookmarked the most wonderful site, www.acronymfinder.com.

since i am not-too-swift at figuring out the multitude of acronyms everyone seems to use, it's been an invaluable help.

and HIDA stands for: hepatobiliary iminodiacetic acid, which is a scan used for evaluation of gallbladder issues. dianne
dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

Has anyone ever heard of this? Empty to Migrainegirl

Post  mxgo Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:50 pm

Thanks for the information. that explains the problems that I have with loud noises that I experienced, a month or so after I started taking the lamictal. I could not understand how or why all of a sudden all noises seemed louder. My ENT had not idea why it happened. The audiologist gave me a long explanation of how the ear system deteriorates with age. I am 72 years old.

The stomach problem feels like I have a gas bubble in the middle and lower part of the sternum with some nausea.

I stopped taking the med. about three weeks ago and the sound level decreased. I tried taking a small dose of the med. a couple of days ago and it really felt like gas bubble in the area of the sternum caused me soreness in the middle of my chest. I've been very careful with eating and lost a little weight.

I started with a very small dose of lamictal, half a 25 mg tablet in Feb. It worked, my head was clearer and there were some days where I had very low level or no headaches. But, that is about the time the sound and stomach problems started.

My headaches are not, I think, due to migraines, but rather to tight muscles (I've taken statins for 17 years). I am taking some supplements to lower my statin dosage and cholesterol numbers.

However, my headaches are now very low level due to a lot of trigger point therapy, somatic exercises, and a couple of weeks ago, treatments from a great acupuncturist.

Again many thanks for the information, my stomach and hearing problems all make sense now. No more lamictal!

Martin

mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  survivor Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:24 am

I had a HIDA scan after the ultrasound showed no gall stones. The HIDA scan showed my gallbladder wasn't functioning. I had it removed. It did not affect my migraines but it did make me feel better overall.

Side note: My doctor said, "Boy you have the symptoms of gall bladder issues but you don't fit the profile of the 4 Fs." I asked what that was and he told me it wasn't very PC but generally you thought gall bladder with someone Female, Fat, Forty and Fertile (gave birth). I was only missing one of the four and mine was definitely diseased.

survivor

Back to top Go down

Post  superman123 Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:34 am

good luck to you guy santa

Website Design
ecommerce shopping cart

superman123

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down