migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sinus infections

5 posters

Go down

Sinus infections Empty Sinus infections

Post  Ruth Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:47 pm

Had to go to my dentist today as I haven't been feeling well for a while now, and apart from vertigo etc. etc. I have had the most excruciating pain down the left side of my face. It turns out (after x rays) I have a sinus infection. I am new to this and wondered if anyone here has them and what's the best way of easing the pain, and also avoiding them. He gave me Motrin but it didn't touch the pain, so I took a couple of T3's and it helped somewhat. I am also on antibiotics.

Thanks.

Ruth

Back to top Go down

Sinus infections Empty Re: Sinus infections

Post  Guest Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:55 pm

Ruth,

Very sorry to hear. I have sinus infections about 3-5 times a year. Almost always, my doc prescribes an anti-biotic which works for me. A lot of broad-spectrums do work, and it's typically a 10 day dose.

Usually I'll take Tylenol or Benadryl, or use Nasonex to open up the passages.

Good Luck!
-mgb

Back to top Go down

Post  Greeneyes Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:11 am

Ruth..I'm so sorry that you have a sinus infection.

I have chronic sinusitis all the time..I take antibiotics for atleast 4-6 weeks..do a nasal rinse..and a steroid nasal spray. I take 800 mg of a prescription strength Advil. Also, I heat up a wash cloth and microwave it until it's hot..that can help..also, like peppermint tea and candy.

Hoping and praying, that you feel well soon.

Bless you,
Greeneyes
Greeneyes
Greeneyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:42 am

I'm another with chronic sinus issues. Hot spicy foods can help me break up congestion better than some prescription decongestants. Also as much hot tea as I can stand to drink. Take care!

Sara79

Back to top Go down

Post  Ruth Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:52 am

Gosh it seems like this is quite a common ailment,thanks so much for your replies and tips. I can't believe how much better I feel today, I was in tears with the pain yesterday and almost feel human again today. I will continue to take the antibiotics until they're all gone. I will try and remember all these tips as my dentist told me that they do tend to reoccur.

Thanks again Smile

Ruth

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:13 pm

My latest problem is phantom tooth ache from sinus problems.
I have lost count how many times I have been to the dentist and each time am told its my sinuses.
Having seen the xray, I can see what he is saying. My sinuses and my teeth nerve all but touch.
Very unlucky he tells me

I have had anti bios. They do seem to help, but they play havoc with my IBS so I try do do it with steam and echinacea.
This last run has been since the pollen count went right up. Caused the sinuses to swell and pressure on my nerves.

It is a horrible horrible pain and I don't find any pain killers help.
In fact my dentist told me that's one way I could tell it is not my teeth.
Apparently tooth ache usually responds at least partially to pain killers.

I also have a blocked up nose every morning and post nasal drip which really starts up when I lie down.
I hate my sinuses, they cause me more headaches and extra face pain.
Crying or Very sad

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:32 pm

Pen-
Can you get somewhere with a dry heat sauna? When I'm struggling with similar symptoms, the dry heat seems to help the pain, pressure and the post nasal drip. I usually try to stay in there for as long as I can stand it (20 minutes max), and I repeat it until I feel better. Last year's allergy season had me using it daily from April to September. Maybe it'll help you.

Sara79

Back to top Go down

Post  WitsEnd Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:46 am

I too suffer from sinus infections. The pain usually goes for my forehead and teeth.

I get strong anti biotics and just OTC pain killers. I'm not convinced the pain killers help tho....

I hope this passes quick for you and that it's a one off!
WitsEnd
WitsEnd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down