migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A risk of using Facebook

+4
HeelerLady
Paradox
lostinobx
VickiG
8 posters

Go down

A risk of using Facebook Empty A risk of using Facebook

Post  VickiG Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:57 am

I just came across this article and thought I'd share it with you because it might be pertinent for some people on Ronda's. A woman was on disability for severe depression, and her insurance company got into her Facebook file and found pictures of her at a Chippendale's bar and at the beach, and they looked like she was having a good time, so they decided that she didn't qualify as being depressed anymore. Thus, they yanked her disability benefits and made her go back to work! This took place in Canada, but it could happen anywhere. Oh, and the woman thought that her privacy guards would block outsiders from looking at her materials, but apparently the company was able to get around them.

You can read the article at http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2009/11/19/quebec-facebook-sick-leave-benefits.html .
VickiG
VickiG

Back to top Go down

A risk of using Facebook Empty Re: A risk of using Facebook

Post  lostinobx Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:38 am

Very interesting Vicki. I also read something on another migraine forum that a woman was denied benefits just because she was able to post on a migraine forum.

I don't know if this was the only reason, but this was the reason that she said that she was denied. Talk about "Big Brother" watching your every move!! I was astonished that just because she was lying in bed posting on a forum because she couldn't do much else, they thought that she was well enough to be out and about working, so they denied her.

It seems nothing we do any more is private. Oh, and another thing on FB that Brent posted yesterday is that your telephone numbers are out there for everyone to see. So, please, if you don't want folks to get your phone numbers, make sure you set your settings so they cannot get them. Brent can better explain how to go about doing this.

lostinobx

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:32 am

Also keep in mind that many prospective employers look at your FB page. My son radically changed his FB page when eh graduated college and went looking for a job as a teacher.

Recently I had to talk to a high school employee about posting something negative about work, while at work! And knowing that she had friended me...her boss! I said I was very disappointed that she thought it was appropriate to use MY computer, while being paid by ME, to portray the place we work poorly.

I was shocked as she's a very sweet, bright girl. Is it a generational thing where they are so used to social networks that they haven't learned common sense boundaries?
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:43 am

Charlotte,

I think we forget who's included in our circle of friends and that when you make a comment it goes to everyone, not just the person you're "talking" to. I did this too - insert foot in mouth, chew vigorously.

I make it a habit not to post things about work on facebook (other than my whereabouts) for this reason.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Mianna Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:51 am

Thank you for this link to the article Vicki. Someone in my life is on SSD and has been surveiled before.....I advised them that FB may not be a wise choice.......they haven't often believed me........this article helps......albeit Canada. The US is probably capable of more!

Thanks again.
Mianna
Mianna

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:50 am

I think people really need to be cautious about any of their online use when it comes to this type of thing.

I think so many people think that so much of what they do is private, no really understanding that most things are not.

This site is a very good example. Many of us hide our real names and identities so that it's not public record, but every so often another member will "out" someone and spread their personal information around for all to see.

For example, they will mention that so and so does this for a living and lives in this place or sees this doctor. That is why I don't give particulars to anyone,even in private, as they can turn around and tell the whole site. I've seen it done many times before.

Many of us are professionals and have lots to lose if someone "outs" us like that. It's a huge risk to even post on sites like this, let alone social networking sites like Facebook.

So many people don't understand that every word we type on this site is traceable and can be linked back to us in some way, such as via the email address provided to set up the account. Others really don't understand that not everyone wants their private details spread around in the forums.

It's why some of us stay as private as well can.

Private insurance companies can be the worst at this internet investigating. Many of these companies will do anything to disprove a diagnosis that granted a person paid time off of work.

milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:29 pm

This is very important, so thank you for posting this Vicky.

years ago when I started with Internet I was very paranoid about my identity,
Later on I thought maybe I over did it and thought about coming out if the closet, now I am glad I didn't.

perhaps we all should after awhile sever our picture links, too.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  crt Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:55 pm

Right on target Milo!

I often think of the quote from Sandra Bullock's character in the 1995 movie The Net. Many folks thought her words were very paranoid in '95. But actually, what she said was true in '95 and is much more true today.

The Quote:

"Just think about it. Our whole world is sitting there on a computer. It's in the computer, everything: your, your DMV records, your, your Social Security, your credit cards, your medical history. It's all right there. Every one is stored in there. It's like this little electronic shadow on each and every one of us, just, just begging for somebody to mess with, and you know what? They've done it to me, and you know what? They're gonna do it to you."

There was a woman who posted on the old Ronda's site who almost lost her disability because of what she posted on the migraine site and her own blog. Somebody is always watching.

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down