migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vitamin D

+15
alli
Migrainegirl
AZgirl
milo
estre004
Greeneyes
pilot57
Mule Kick
CluelessKitty
MaryAnneLive
phillips87
Brent
Paradox
charmed quark
pen
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Vitamin D - Page 2 Empty Re: Vitamin D

Post  milo Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:38 am

Are there any other Canadians on here buying the higher doses? I can only find 1000 and D3 can't be shipped to Canada, so I can't order it elsewhere. Lord knows why???
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:06 pm

I buy the liquid in Costco.....that should be in all Costcos....reasonable price too.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:13 pm

Just take more of the 1000's. Before the 10K's were available I just took two 5K's. My concern is D3 is more a hormone then a vitamin. I can all too soon see our respective governments start to try to regulate it and make it a prescription. I hope by that time enough people will be taking it and seeing the benefits that they will raise living hell at the first sign of regulation.

If it became prescription I would call my doctor's office. I would request a prescription for 5 hours of sunlight with 3 refills if possible.

It's just ridiculous enough I can see or gov try or at least propose it.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Vitamin D - Page 2 Empty Query

Post  Guest Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:44 pm

"Mule Kick" on page 1 states to be sure to take natural Vit. D at high does as synthetic is toxic at high does? Is this truly the case? To anyone. Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post  AZgirl Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:48 pm

My family doctor had me taking the 10,000 units once a week, then dropped me down to twice a month. Then I kind of forgot to take it altogether for several months, so I don't know what my current level is now. I'm due for a blood draw in Sept so I'll see where I am then.

Interesting that it's linked to migraine patients and pain patients.

AZgirl
AZgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:28 pm

I am taking 5000 mg per day. A good source is www.omega-1000.com.
They seem to have the higher dosage. Also a good source for other migraine supplements
I found their magnesium was more effective than that I had been buying locally.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:38 pm

I found another great article on D3.

"The rising incidence of Type 1 diabetes may be due, in part, to the current practice of protecting the young from sun exposure. When newborn infants in Finland were given 2,000 international units a day, Type 1 diabetes fell by 88 percent, Dr. Holick said".

What Do You Lack? Probably Vitamin D
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:09 pm

I just got back from my GP about the peripheral neuropathy in my feet and guess what? She told me to take vit D. 1000 a dAy to start and then up to 2000 after a month. And she is checking my vit D level in my blood.

I'm really hoping it will help cause this hurts!!!!
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:17 pm

I am glad to hear how many docs are telling their patients about D3. 1000 IU is a very conservative amount. That is about an hour in the sun equivalent. I do 10,000 and I am not even treating anything, just keeping my immune system regulated.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  MaryAnneLive Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:13 pm

There are also studies going on linking low vitamin D inutero and in early childhood to the rapid rise in Autism. I thought that was VERY interesting.

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/health/autism/

There is nothing conclusive yet, but wouldn't it be amazing if something so simple could reverse such an frightening epidemic?

Mary Anne
MaryAnneLive
MaryAnneLive

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:17 pm

That would be interesting since in the US 1 out every 150 boys are diagnosed with it. The positive info on D3 is coming in faster then I can keep up with.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  Hal Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:39 pm

Very interesting. The VA doctors have told me to stay out of the sun. I assume because the vitamin D interferes with some of the drugs I am on. Bummer dude! I can either die from lack of vitamin D or die from whatever drug doesn't work when I am in the sun.

ARRRGGGHH! confused

Hal
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  MaryAnneLive Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:47 pm

Hal,

Are you sure it is a Vit D correlation? I know that while on prozac you are supposed to stay out of the sun, but it is because you become VERY sensitive and burn easily. Of course, I only know this because I went diving while n prozac and got FRIED on the boat on the way home. I have NEVER reacted that way to the sun. I am olive complected and tan easily. It was scary. I peeled for weeks.

Perhaps you could still supplement? Or stay in the sun for 15 min on your chest, arms and face?

Burning still causes melanoma.

Mary Anne
MaryAnneLive
MaryAnneLive

Back to top Go down

Post  Hal Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:06 am

MaryAnne,

Not sure at all. It was just a guess. I kinda remember one of the Docs saying something about the sun interfering with one of the drugs, but maybe it was a bad dream I had instead. Anyway, I could try it and see if I have an adverse reaction or something.

A couple of weeks ago, I spent four days out on the lake fishing. I used SPF70 blocker and still got some sunburn, but my skin was lily white before I went out. My lips really burned badly. That was a bummer because I couldn't make out with my girl friend. Wink

Hal
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  ajr Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:13 am

Actually, you get about 10,000 IU in just 20 min. in the sun, so I take atleast 5000-10000 IUs in the winter especially.
http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/
ajr
ajr

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:02 am

Wow! The newer info is very interesting. Something to toss back your doc who warns about too much D3. Be far more concerned about Tylenol and all the other OTC meds we use.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathy Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:36 pm

I go to a fm/cfs center and they monitor my vitamin D levels and have been increasing the amount I take since I've been there. When I started my levels were pitifully low. I'm taking 4,000 a day at this point and my levels are in the normal range but they are still slowly increasing. And I have to say the fm problems have improved. The migs aren't much better though but I'm still a work in progress.

Cathy

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:19 am

I found it interesting to read a CaringBridge Site today of a girl who saw the "HA guru" here in the Twin Cities yesterday for the first time. She has brain cancer and intractable head pain.

He told her to take 5,000-8,000 IU Vitamin D per day and 1,000 mg magnesium oxide.

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Hal Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:21 am

That sounds like a death sentance. My mother died of that and it wasn't easy. We are going to die, but it would be nice if it was while we were sleeping.

Hal
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:35 am

My wife got her labs yesterday and her D Hdroxy was 15. Normal was 30-45 and she had been taking 10,000 IU per day. We all absorb nutrients differently so that is why I error on the side of caution. But I will still get a blood test myself. My lack of illness the last three years tells me whatever I am absorbing must be working.

But just working is still not optimal results. And I know the lab parameters are probably far away from optimal also. Quite often labs will create their own parameter levels they consider "normal" based just on their data. You would think that there would national if not international standards for lab values.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  ajr Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:03 pm

Somebody I know had a similar situation with being low in D while taking a lot of D3 supplements, and when she added Vitamin K2 with it, it started to be absorbed. I hear that Vitamin K is also as important as Vit D and that's the "next big thing"....so I'm taking both.
ajr
ajr

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:32 pm

I will have to read up on that, thanks for mentioning it. That's the attitude to have, just take it because when the new info comes out you have already benefited from it.

Last night I was working up at the spa and Deb used a new foot spa cream on me to see what i think. About 1:00 AM my feet started itching and burning. I knew right off there was something in it that was on my "no touch" list. So I downed 50,000 and then another 50,000 this morning. By noon it was backing off real fast and should be all gone by tomorrow.

In the past I would have been on Prednisone and a steroid cream. And it still would have been 4-5 day for the reaction to stop.

But D is not only an immune system activator it's also a modulator keeping it from going crazy on something harmless. So stay tuned about more info on allergies and D. I know it's coming.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:22 pm

I've upped to 8ooo per day now.
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:11 am

I just got my test results. I'm at 19 and I should be 50 so my D3 is waaay too low. I'm going to up the D3 to 5000 per day.

Do you take it all at once or spread it through the day? How long does it take before you start feeling better?

It would be so nice if this helps even some of my problems.
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  ajr Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:46 am

I take mine all at once usually. But sometimes I take some again later on in the day if I'm worried about catching a cold from someone, etc. I definitely think the cold I got last winter was way less strong than my usual winter cold. Vitamin D-3 is what you want to take, and if you take Vitamin K, it is important to get the K-2.
ajr
ajr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next