migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Preventative warnings

+2
HeelerLady
estre004
6 posters

Go down

Preventative warnings Empty Preventative warnings

Post  estre004 Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:05 am

I think may have posted something along these lines in the past but just received this article over the weekend. If you are using preventatives of any kind, I would be aware of the risks you are taking. Unless these preventatives are making a reasonable amount of difference in your quality of life, I would think twice before using them. They are prescribed way too freely.

http://www.healthcentral.com/bipolar/news-523946-98.html?ic=6018

estre004

Back to top Go down

Preventative warnings Empty Re: Preventative warnings

Post  HeelerLady Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:21 am

Yup you did but it doesn't hurt to post again. I know I took this one but didn't last long on it.

Please do be careful if you are on a preventative and are of child-bearing age. That's something that some neuro's don't consider (at least mine didn't).
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:23 am

Or how about being prescribed one that has a big kidney contraindication, and not even being asked how your kidneys are.
And this was my neuro....

I am so glad I didnt take it. Really bad that I was left to google it myself though.
He looked quite sheepish when I told him...

Last edited by pen on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:24 am

And the countless others that are bad for your liver. If you are taking any of those, be sure you are getting your liver tested and not drinking alcohol or anything else that might destroy the liver. I know of two people that have needed liver transplants because of medication overuse. They didn't drink alcohol, do drugs, have hepatitis or any other risk factors in their lives--just medication for illnesses.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Preventative warnings Empty liver

Post  dawn.binks Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:24 am

yess my father died from nonalcoholic sclerosis of the liver abd never took any preventers just acute mig treatment!! at the end of the day none if them are any good for us!!!!!!!
dawn.binks
dawn.binks

Back to top Go down

Preventative warnings Empty Hey there

Post  Guest Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:24 pm

Please be careful about how you begin your post. They are speaking of one preventative. You made it sound like all of them.

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:50 pm

I imagine Linda assumed we would all follow the link Gail.
I'm sure she didnt mean to mislead anyone. Smile

Mind you, in my book they should all carry warnings..

Mad

pen

Back to top Go down

Preventative warnings Empty Keeping statistics in perspective

Post  TeriRobert Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:42 pm

That was a general news article, and from the way it was written, I'm not convinced they read the whole study. IMO, when reading news articles like that one, it's important to note that they're talking about relative risk, and the numbers can seem higher than they should.

If you're interested, I read the full study article, talked with some experts, and wrote my own article that I hope puts the percentages into some kind of perspective, Migraines, Depakote, and Birth Defects.

Teri

TeriRobert

http://www.HelpForHeadaches.com, www.MyMigraineConnection.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:22 am

I agree with Linda. It is SO important for us to know all that we can about the meds we are taking. Past experience has taught me that I am the person who needs to look out for me. Drs don't always. That is not a slam against all Drs. Most are caring and compassion, but some just want to throw more and more pills at the problem. I need to be vigilant about everything I take.

But, we also need to be aware about the reliability of tests and studies. Is the study done by a drug company? Or by some else with a vested interest?

They make it hard...
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down