migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Neurology Now" May/June 2010 Issue...

3 posters

Go down

"Neurology Now" May/June 2010 Issue... Empty "Neurology Now" May/June 2010 Issue...

Post  Mianna Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:21 pm

Just thought I'd share that the current issue of "Neurology Now" has Cindy McCain on the cover and she discusses her Migraines.

I remember when she first came public with having them and hearing how she'd had them for years....since a hysto. in her 30's.......but just told her husband only 10yrs ago. I remember thinking that was odd to me. You can read more in the article.

I don't think there is anything earth shattering new in it.........but it's nice to have awareness always. She seems to still really suffer atleast 2 times a month.

I believe N. Now can be read online as well for free..........I just don't have the time to link it up right now........sorry!
Mianna
Mianna

Back to top Go down

"Neurology Now" May/June 2010 Issue... Empty Re: "Neurology Now" May/June 2010 Issue...

Post  Mianna Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:24 pm

http://journals.lww.com/neurologynow/pages/default.aspx

hope this takes everyone right to it!
Mianna
Mianna

Back to top Go down

"Neurology Now" May/June 2010 Issue... Empty Re: "Neurology Now" May/June 2010 Issue...

Post  VickiG Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:48 pm

I thought it was an interesting article. It had some startling stats on how little money has gone into migraine research. The quote I posted on Facebook when posting the article is "The WHO estimates that migraines cause more lost years of healthy life in the U.S. annually than MS, epilepsy, ovarian cancer, and TB combined; however, the combined NIH research funding on those 4 disorders is more than 117 times great than that of migraine."

"Right now, we receive one fiftieth of one percent of the NIH budget, an amount that is grossly disproportionate to the number of patients who have migraines,” says Dr. Dodick, who serves as president-elect for the American Headache Society.

"Knowing the toll that migraines have taken on her own life, McCain hopes funding could ultimately provide better treatments for people with migraines, including those currently serving in the military. Experts estimate that 36 percent of Iraq War veterans who had never had migraines return home with them.

I also learned that I shared a doctor with Cindy McCain, since Dr. Dodick, the president-elect of the American Headache Society, ran the clinical trial of my occipital nerve stimulator that I had a few years ago. The trial was a bust, but I liked him!
VickiG
VickiG

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:06 am

When Cindy McCain first came in the scene I didn't care for her. I thought she looked brittle and stand offish. Then when Id see her with her sunglasses on in a building Id think "What a movie star!" And not nicely...

Then I found out why and admired her greatly for being out on the campaign trail. Can you even imagine the noise and the lights!

I wonder if that's what people who don't know me think if me...brittle and stand offish.

Plus, it taught me about judging people before I have enough information. Bad girl, Charlotte, bad girl. Rolling Eyes
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  VickiG Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:25 am

I remember once having a new friend, upon learning that the reason I wore sunglasses in class periodically was my migraines, say that she had been thinking that I had a boyfriend who was beating me! So yes, it's easy to jump to the wrong conclusion!
VickiG
VickiG

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down