migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sound Sources

+12
ranjithkumar
Brenda
Ivy
Tngirl83
Stillhurtin
tecky
milo
HeelerLady
alli
Almostangela
TeriRobert
Annika
16 posters

Go down

Sound Sources Empty Sound Sources

Post  Annika Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:17 pm

I'm pretty sensitive to sound even on the best of days, but I've found that it's not the sound that I make is a problem, it's sounds that come from another source.

If someone shuts a door loudly during a migraine, it really hurts a lot, but if I slam a door or cupboard or yell when I'm in pain, I don't seem to have the same problem with sound. Maybe it's because I know the sound is coming?

Is it like this for anyone else?

Annika

Back to top Go down

Sound Sources Empty Re: Sound Sources

Post  TeriRobert Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:32 pm

Wow. I'm not just crazy and nasty when I have a Migraine!! The same thing happens to me. My husband really needs to have nasal surgery, but he won't because he's a big coward. His words, not mine. So, there's no such thing as a silent room with him in it. Most of the time, I don't notice it much, but when I have a Migraine, his breathing is so loud, I want to put a pillow over his face. Surprised

Or we can be in the kitchen, and I'll set something on the counter or on the stove, no problem. But let him set something on the counter, and it seems like a cannon going off.

I don't know what causes this to happen, but I'm glad to have company.

Teri

TeriRobert

http://www.HelpForHeadaches.com, www.MyMigraineConnection.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Almostangela Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:49 am

I absolutely cannot stand the sounds of a public gathering. The chattering and noises and clanking. I thought it was a visual thing, but if I close my eyes, it is the sound that totally enrages me to the point where I want to go postal to shut everyone up.

If I don't have a headache, noise doesn't bother me at all.

Migraine + mall or festival = disaster

Angela
Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:05 pm

Me too, except for silverware. That always hurts. Some sounds are crazy loud but the TV is really hard to hear when I have a migraine. I have to turn it way up, but I have a hearing loss so I think maybe the migraine just affects something strangely.

My daughter has to whisper any outside noises just drive me nuts cause they are so loud.
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:19 pm

Yup - I've got the same thing. Normally I have the TV up to hear it but turn it way down when I have an M. If I have to be out in public with an M, I have earplugs in. One ear will usually make things tolerable. But any noise just seems to vibrate in my ears.

Ugh...not sure which is worse, the skin in my ears crawling from noise or the facial/head pain.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:21 pm

I'm ok with a single stimuli, but the second you add another I'm screwed.

I can watch TV and have a migraine, BUT any other sounds on top of that, including someones breathing, the dog's feet clicking of the ground, anything...creates too much noise.

My least favorite is the tap running, followed by the washing machine. UGH pure torture!
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:44 pm

Almostangela wrote:I absolutely cannot stand the sounds of a public gathering. The chattering and noises and clanking. I thought it was a visual thing, but if I close my eyes, it is the sound that totally enrages me to the point where I want to go postal to shut everyone up.

I prefer not to go to large public gatherings any more. The stimulation is just too much for my brain, and the migraines escalate from all the stimulation--noise, people, all of it. I get irritable from it all.

Becky flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  Stillhurtin Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:50 pm

Oh yeah. I feel like the crabbiest mom ever when migraining. Normally I'm a loud fun loving goofy mom, but when onthe thralls of a bad m I snap at any noise above a whisper Sad
Stillhurtin
Stillhurtin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tngirl83 Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:55 pm

So I've never mentioned this before cause I always thought I was crazy. My mom has 2 recliners that rock and they both make a tiny clicking noise that you can barely hear.

When I sit in one while having a M I can rock away (for some reason that motion sometimes seems to help-I probably am crazy with that one) but let someone sit in the other recliner and rock and I want to scream.

Neither one is louder than the other one and when I don't have an M (rare occasion) it doesn't bother me one bit.

Just glad to know someone else experiences same thing!
Tngirl83
Tngirl83

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:54 am

The noise I hate most when I have migraine is the lawnmowers. I hate when I try to relax in my dark bedroom and I have to bear the torture of a lawnmower that goes on for hours. I must use earplugs, fortunately someone invented them, they are my life-safer during migraine
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:06 am

Tngirl83 wrote:So I've never mentioned this before cause I always thought I was crazy. My mom has 2 recliners that rock and they both make a tiny clicking noise that you can barely hear.

When I sit in one while having a M I can rock away (for some reason that motion sometimes seems to help-I probably am crazy with that one) but let someone sit in the other recliner and rock and I want to scream.

Just glad to know someone else experiences same thing!

You're not alone in the rocking thing. We have an easy chair that I normally sit in when the pain gets really bad and I rock away for hours. I always assumed it was a comfort thing left over from early childhood when my mother would rock me. When the pain gets really bad, sometimes lying down hurts worse for some reason.

My own noises bother me as much as anyone else's. I speak really quietly when I have a migraine and Frank keeps telling me he can't hear me and that I need to speak up. I usually just don't try to talk anymore because talking above much of a whisper is agony. I do tend to need some very low level noise to distract me from the pain though. I normally play the TV, or music, or an audio book extremely low.
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:25 am

Ivy--lawnmowers are very irritating to me too. I guess the only way to get around that is to ask the neighbors to turn their horses out in our yard so we don't need the lawn mower. lol!

Brenda--my husband says he can't hear me when I'm migraining badly too. It feels to me like my voice box is hindered in some way. On the other hand, my husband's big, booming voice can be unbearable--he has a difficult time talking more quietly. What's one to do?
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  Almostangela Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:11 am

LEAF BLOWERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the loud droning whine drives me to tears and the episode lasts for an hour just to move some stupid leaves off the concrete. (my neighbour has a leaf blower and uses it every weekend) USE A BROOM YOU STUPID COW.

We can't talk to those neighbours now. One morning she started it up at 7:00 am before her garage sale and my boyfriend screamed some graphic obsenities out the window as soon as it stopped so they don't like us.

I'd like to throttle the guy who invented them.

Angela
Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

Sound Sources Empty sound sources

Post  ranjithkumar Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:32 am

The resource is designed to build on KS1 work by developing understanding of the key concepts related to sources of sound and how sound travels to the ear.
The first section looks at different sources of sound and a short video is available as stiumulus for the start of a lesson.
The second session looks at how the vibrations travel out and away from the source of the sound.
The third section check the pupils understanding through simple interactive activities.

beginner guitar lessons
hiphopselite

ranjithkumar

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:07 am

Ahhh yes, I love the smell of trolls in the morning. lol
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathy Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:00 am

Wow, the more I read these posts and see other people with problems like mine, the less crazy I think I am. Pretty soon, I'll think I'm normal! I'm the same with noises, but with me it's more a certain vibration.

I want to run for cover when someone runs the shredder in my office, or there's a certain airplane that goes over my house, I think an Army plane, that's like kicking me in the head. So lawn mowers and leaf blowers are my enemy too! The shredder and plane still bother me w/o a migraine but I can tolerate some other noises when I'm feeling okay (all five hours a week!).

Also, I can move on my bed, but let anyone else be on my bed, even my little schnauzer dog licking his foot, and I go nuts when I have a mig.

Cathy

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:01 am

This whole post cracked me up. You don't need a migraine to have some sounds just tick you off period!

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Annika Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:44 pm

I'm so glad that I'm not alone. Teri and Tngirl, that is exactly how it is for me.

Estre, it's not sounds that annoy me that I was wondering about. Besides my menstrual cycle, sound is my number one trigger. I have constant tinnitus and have had my entire life, or at least as long as I can remember. To block the tinnitus during a migraine, I need to have something in the background making some white noise. I have to make sure that the sound isn't loud enough to cause pain though, so it can be frustrating, especially during pitch changes. I haven't been to a movie theatre in about 10 years now. I rarely go out in public for events and certainly never for large gatherings. A trip to the grocery store will almost always trigger a migraine for me.

When someone makes a loud, sudden noise when I have a migraine, it is extremely painful. If I make that same loud noise (slam a cupboard shut, slam a pot down on the counter - usually before any meds kids in) and I know the sound is coming, there is no pain at all. Those are the extremes, I don't generally have fits during a migraine, only when the pain is so bad, I have a hard time seeing, staying conscious, and standing upright.

During most migraines, if someone were to set the table normally, the sound of the utensils coming in contact with the table would be very painful for me. If I set the table, I have no problem with the pain, even if I were to slam them down, it would still hurt less for me than if someone else were to gently set them down. If I were to accidentally drop one and didn't see it fall before it hit the table or the ground, the sound would be painful. If I noticed it falling, it still hurts, but not as much.

Annika

Back to top Go down

Post  LizzieB Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:36 pm

Angela, I'm TOTALLY with you on leaf blowers. They should be banned. We've got a church yard behind us which used to be very peaceful! Now they seem to spend half the year cutting the hedge with a huge hedge-trimmer and the other half blowing leaves, well it seems like that anyway. As you say, what happened to using a broom! So what if it takes you ten times as long. Sounds very uncharitable but my bedroom backs on to it and I dread the noise when I've got a migraine. In better moments, I've confronted the poor chap when he's wielding whichever machine is in season but I always feel guilty afterwards as it's his job.

Other than that, almost any noise jars me when I've got a M, but especially people's footsteps around the house and creaking doors.

Liz
LizzieB
LizzieB

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnfd Sat May 01, 2010 4:58 am

Yes. If a noise must be made let me make it. Let me do the washing up and clatter the dishes for gods sake! Although, during the worst part of my migraines I want absolute silence.

Worst noises during a migraine for me are electric motors. So washing machines and vacuum cleaners are instruments of the devil as are food mixers and things like that.

The pitch of women's and children's voices are bad for me during a migraine. There's just the wife and I at home most of the time these days so that's not a real problem but, when my daughters visit and I'm not well, it sounds like they're shouting and it drills through my head. They're not, of course but I have to go and hide somewhere. We live next door to the village primary school and I sometimes hide under the covers at playtime.

Once the worst of the attack is past I can actually manage the tv on low volume depending what is on. No sports with crowd noise and no shows with clapping or canned laughter. Documentaries and old films are best. I can't have the radio on if it has a DJ that does silly banter or chat between songs. If I'm well they can be entertaining but with a migraine they are just loud and irritating bas****s!
Johnfd
Johnfd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down