migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

re: 'hissing' sound in ears....

+6
marion
Mule Kick
Kate
Brent
alli
pen
10 posters

Go down

re:  'hissing' sound in ears.... Empty re: 'hissing' sound in ears....

Post  Guest Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:25 am

I have a chronic/constant 'hissing' sound in my ears. This started simultaneously with the daily headaches. Does anyone else experience this sound?? Just curious....

Back to top Go down

re:  'hissing' sound in ears.... Empty Re: re: 'hissing' sound in ears....

Post  pen Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:50 am

I get hissing, and ringing. In fact things are never wholly quiet in my head...
Seems to be with or without medication for me..
Isnt it horrible...

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:51 am

It's tinnitus. I have it too. Loud ringing and buzzing. It's quite annoying. I haven't figured out what is causing it. '

Alli
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:54 am

I also deal with tinitus and when monster was coming down it turn to a buzzing/hissing sound also. That is when i knew it was going to be a bad one. There are a few treatment options but for most we just have to live with it. The only advantage to mine was it was a good alarm system for what was coming. I called it my tornado siren. Shocked
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

re:  'hissing' sound in ears.... Empty thanks

Post  Guest Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:58 am

Mine started exactly when the headaches did. I'm just trying to find a connection. There must be one? When I mention this to doctors they seem to ignore it. At times it is a quiet hiss. At times it is loud. I have had it wake me up. But only occassionally.

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:37 am

I just asked the neuro on monday if it was associated with the migraines or medication.
He said no, aks ot be referred to the ENT department....Hmmm Mad

pen

Back to top Go down

re:  'hissing' sound in ears.... Empty Hmmmm, is right....

Post  Guest Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:48 am

Funny that it started at EXACTLY the same time as the headaches. Had NEVER experiened it before. I wish doctors would listen a little more to the patients experience. Perhaps they and we might learn something. I don't think things always go exactly as the textbook might say. But then again what do I know...

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:00 pm

I get a constant hissing or low ring sound when I have a m. It`s annoying. When the m stops, so does the noise in my ear.

Kate

Back to top Go down

re:  'hissing' sound in ears.... Empty Tinnitus

Post  Mule Kick Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:40 pm

The tinnitus crept-up on me many years after the headaches had already started. Adulthood vs. Childhood. I believe that (for me) the tinnitus resulted from physical exposure to loud noise, or noise at certain frequencies.

Some examples, in approximate chronilogical order, of such noises that I have been exposed too include:
  • Being on the Flight-Line (even w/ear protection), in the Air Force (jet-engines)
  • Blowing across the top of a bottle, producing a pitch that deafened me for a few hours
  • Washing dishes (mostly w/o ear-protection), in a resturant (industrial size dish-machine)

The ringing, sometimes, changes in pitch, intensity, or both in each ear independantly of the other.

There is no such thing as peace and quiet, ever. The ringing just goes on-and-on, forever, 24/7. A very stressful condition to live with.
Mule Kick
Mule Kick

Back to top Go down

Post  marion Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:51 pm

Try searching inner ear problems you may be surprised how well you "fit" the syndromes
Meneires / labyrinthitis are 2 starters.
marion
marion

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:03 pm

Mine started exactly when my migs first started. And the docs said the same thing, "probably not related".

But then again they get paid the same amount whether they give a rip or not. The "not" part is much easier requiring less work.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:06 pm

Brent wrote:Mine started exactly when my migs first started. And the docs said the same thing, "probably not related".
But then again they get paid the same amount whether they give a rip or not. The "not" part is much easier requiring less work.

Good point Brent. My neuro couldnt have been less interested if it was paint drying...

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  marion Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:12 pm

I am going to pursue the inner ear problems, for me it is making a lot of sense. Grandmother went deaf early on and they told her way back then it was genetic. Will let you know. I will add Gran has celiacs if you are interested in the autoimmune side of things.
marion
marion

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:17 pm

The first ENT doc I saw just told me about a tinitus website to watch for any developments. What a blow off.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  marion Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:37 pm

Brent if I get a firm diagoisis on inner ear problem I can actually pinpoint my first attack. It was 1982 three weeks after Dad died, before my life/symptoms became complicated. LOL because if I don't I would just cry.
marion
marion

Back to top Go down

Post  ajr Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:36 pm

Pain relievers such as aspirin, ibuprofen, naprosyn, etc. can cause tinnitus and make it worse. My brother in law says it gets much worse/louder when he takes a lot of Aleve, etc.

"Tinnitus is a condition commonly known as "ringing in the ears". The ringing sounds are brain-induced; that is, ringing is perceived in the absence of any external auditory stimulation. In addition to ringing sounds, roaring, hissing, clicking and other non-externally generated sounds are also classified as tinnitus. Chronic tinnitus can be caused by noise exposure, disease, excessive use of aspirin or other pain relievers, and use of certain antibiotics." from http://www.adviceonhearingaids.com/forum/messages.aspx?TopicID=990

It is briefly mentioned in this list as a cause, along with certain antibiotics :
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/tinnitus/page2_em.htm#Tinnitus%20Causes
ajr
ajr

Back to top Go down

re:  'hissing' sound in ears.... Empty thenks for replies

Post  Guest Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:01 am

When the hissing began I had never taken any pain relievers. Ever. I have read that they can cause it. Now, after taking for example asprin, I have noticed it can cause it to become louder. Interesting.

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnfd Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:31 am

I have had tinnitus since my migraines became chronic. I describe it as the sound of the pressure cooker on the stove. I was told it was not linked to the migraines but due to my over use of aspirin but, I understand it should go away again when you stop using it. This has not been the case for me and has been constant for a number of years. It is not too intrusive but becomes significantly worse during attacks. Aspirin makes it temporarily much worse as well so I never use it.
Johnfd
Johnfd

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:32 am

I have my first full migraine in 8 days today. The hissing/ringing (tinnitus) is awful.
Not sure if it is the Triptan or the migraine....driving me nuts....

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Zekses Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:40 pm

I`ve had the ringing long before I started taking pain killers. Not a serious case of it anyway so I paid it no attention until reading this topic. It`s like ... very slight and unobtrusive ringing all the time. Sometimes gets a bit louder for, like, 5-10 seconds but nothing worth mentioning to the doctor Smile
Zekses
Zekses

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:38 pm

I have the hissing too. I just assumed it was migraines or the TMJ. I think that's why I always want some kind of background noise on. It helps distract me from it. I even play the rainymood website for white noise while we sleep. It's much more pronounced in the quiet.
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down