migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Asking for advice, looking for pharmacy coupons, etc.

5 posters

Go down

Asking for advice, looking for pharmacy coupons, etc. Empty Asking for advice, looking for pharmacy coupons, etc.

Post  AuntieBubbs Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:49 pm

I've mentioned in recent threads that I was recently laid off and lost my health insurance. I have to pay OTC prices for all my meds.

Does anyone know where to get coupons to use at the pharmacy for migraine meds, specifically for triptans? I take generic Imitrex - its cheaper - but could switch back to brand if a coupon makes it cheaper than generic. Generic is not cheap: 9 100 mg. pills are anywhere from $170 to $200, depending on the pharmacy.

I can't find any manufacturer coupons any longer for my meds, that's one thing.

Are there other pharmacy coupons or discount programs anyone uses, knows about, etc.? I use a discount program CVS has, and it knocked down the price of the generic Imitrex (I think). Butorphanol (which is generic Stadol) used to cost around $70 a vial, and now CVS charges about $35. So I think it's the discount program knocking the price down, but I am not sure.

I'm open to switching pharmacies if it'll get me better prices, or a better discount program. Better coupons. Etc.

Everyone says I should use CostCo's pharmacy, and I used to, but I can't afford to pay for a membership just to use the pharmacy, and I wasn't getting any benefits from the membership. I don't need to buy in bulk. And I didn't notice a huge difference in price between CostCo and CVS (only about $7 on the Stadol and the Imitrex was a difference of like 1 or 2 dollars).

I appreciate any advice anyone has. Especially anyone who's more saavy at keeping med costs down. I know some tricks to making my meds last longer, so that's something. Obviously I don't have alot of money to spend on my healthcare, so every little bit of advice helps.

Thanks!
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Asking for advice, looking for pharmacy coupons, etc. Empty Re: Asking for advice, looking for pharmacy coupons, etc.

Post  shurluk Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:48 am

I too have no insurance now but did the previous year. Imatrex cost me back then $115 for generic from the Kaiser Pharmacy. I have only used Imatrex from relatives since I lost insurance. I use what ever they don't need from there monthly allotment of 9. To tell you the truth I've gotten a lot of relief from generic "Midrin" which is very inexpensive. It cost my about $15 for 30 pills at "Rite Aid" pharmacy. Rite Aid was a lot cheaper then CVS and Wall-mart Pharmacy. You need to always compare prices from all the main pharmacy's on any given medication. Wall-Mart claims to be the cheapest but certainly is not on all medication only on some.

Wish You Well

shurluk

Back to top Go down

Asking for advice, looking for pharmacy coupons, etc. Empty Re: Asking for advice, looking for pharmacy coupons, etc.

Post  milo Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:09 am

Have you tried writing the pharmaceutical company to see if they would enlist you in their patient assistance program?

Many companies provide the medications for free when asked directly. It may be worth asking....do it by email and you won't even be out the postage cost.
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:11 pm

You could try asking your doctor for samples too. Let them know about your circumstances. Ours, locally, are very nice about giving samples if they have some, especially when they know money is an issue.

Becky
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:42 pm

You don't have to have a membership at Costco to use their pharmacy. Nor at Sam's Club.

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:02 am

Thanks for the replies, all. I appreciate it.

Milo, that's a good idea. I had not thought of that. I'll try that asap. It doesn't hurt to ask, I guess.

I've tried shopping around for prices, but Rite Aid is one I hadn't tried for Imitrex. For other meds, yes. Alot of pharmacies around here got bought out by the bigger fish, now we only have CVS, Walgreen's, Walmart, and of course Sam's and CostCo. But we do have Rite Aid. It used to be scary, run down, I'd be afraid to step into it. But it moved and got a new building with a 24 hour drive through, I feel better about going there.

I know you don't need a membership to use CostCo or Sam's, but for Imitrex their prices aren't any better. Certainly not enough of a difference to make it worth going and getting a pass to use the pharmacy - at least not at CostCo. Don't know about Sams for sure. But it's good to know, they may be cheaper on other meds. Thanks.

I wish I had other family members on Imitrex. I'd pilfer what i could from them. My mom takes tramadol and doesn't use her whole prescription, and gives me what she doesn't use. The tramadol works well for me when I have one of those almost-but-not-quite-a-migraine headaches. It takes that headache away before it can turn into a migraine, which is nice.
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down