migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about cat digestion

+2
HeelerLady
Paradox
6 posters

Go down

Question about cat digestion Empty Question about cat digestion

Post  Paradox Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:36 pm

Is it normal for a cat to have 2-3 bowel movements a day? They are well formed, maybe a tad bit soft, but PHEWY!

It wouldn't be a problem but she is very persnickety about the cleanliness of her litter box. If she has had a BM or urinated in it, she will not use it again until it's cleaned out. Since I work I can't always be there to clean it out immediately. If it's not clean she'll do her duty on the little rubber mat just outside her box.

She eats Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula. Would she have fewer bowel movements if I fed her something else? cat
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Question about cat digestion Empty Re: Question about cat digestion

Post  HeelerLady Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:21 pm

Charlotte,

I had a cat and she would occasionally do that too. If you want to get her to poop less you are probably going to have to change her food. Get something "grain-free". Grain is used as a filler in dog and cat foods just to increase bulk but has no nutritional benefit. I feed my dogs Wellness-Core (I went seafood but only because they have allergies) and when I had my cat, Wellness does make grain-free cat foods. If you don't want to go that route - read ingredients, if in the first 5 are grain or grain by-product not going to solve the problem.

Can't guarantee that she will be less stinky but she should be going less often. I know my dogs went from 4-6 LARGE poops a day to 2 small poops a day and when you have to pick that stuff up, you appreciate having less to pick up. Rolling Eyes

Hope this is helpful,

Becky
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Question about cat digestion Empty Wet Food

Post  lesherb Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:29 pm

Try feeding her canned cat food. My cats have access to dry food but eat about 1-1½ cans of wet food per day. They seem to only have one bowel movement per day.
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  moominamy Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:58 pm

If changing food doesn't help what about putting out two litter trays (or three!)??? Never owned a cat so it might be a crazy idea but the thought just occurred.

Amy

moominamy

Back to top Go down

Post  jeselle Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:52 am

Charlotte, I've got two huge tubs, that aren't "kitty litter trays" so much as they are storage bins. But I use them for litter trays. They are big though. I like them better because when the cats paw the litter doesn't go over the edge. They must be 3 feet high.

I have two cats and two bins. I feed a dry food (Iams) and they only poop once a day.

Maybe you can call you vet for advice? I do think better food is always a great optioin. I feed my dogs an expensive dog food b/c Larry our oldest was losing weight. But for the cats they are doing fiine on grocery store Iams.

Wishing you luck.
jeselle
jeselle

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:17 am

Oh good idea, Jeselle. I'm forever sweeping up litter. Plus she's young and full of energy so getting in the bin won't be a problem.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Question about cat digestion Empty question about cat digestion

Post  dizzyflower Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:24 am

I wonder if the problem isn't what she eats but how she feels. I have had various problems with one cat of mine from time to time including toileting habits, all cured by a months dose of feliway.

The problems seemed to be as a result of stress and the strict rules we had to work round when near her went away and she isn't bothered by stuff now, eats what she's given, doesn't pee on things or demand the tray extra cleaned etc.

I can also move the tray again now without upsetting her wheras she would pee on the doormat if I moved it even a little before. She was overgrooming and biting herself too.

She has a stomach though that is easy upset with meat with gravy in a tin, and does best on tinned basic food with jelly like it used to be before the posh stuff was improved, followed by some dried to munchon throughout the day which is a shared bowl with the other cat and her own bowl of dried food for tea which has tooth cleaning biscuits in it so they are clean for bed.

This stops her from having a dodgy tummy and from cleaning her teeth on the yellow pages.

hope t his is of some use.
Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down