migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm sick.

+18
Ivy
moominamy
Stillhurtin
Billy Ray
30yrsofheadache
lesherb
Cindy*W
AZgirl
milo
Anna's Mom
alli
Richard
Brenda
HeelerLady
Paradox
CluelessKitty
Chinookgrl
Ruth
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I'm sick. Empty I'm sick.

Post  Ruth Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:23 pm

I developed excruciating pain yesterday evening, it was mainly just under my right shoulderblade, I could hardly breathe without getting a stabbing feeling.
To cut a long story short, I spent hours in the hospital, was told at first it was probably muscular pain, was given a couple of Percs. Had some tests, and
had to go back again this morning for more tests.

Turns out I have Pulmonary Embolism, or blood clots on the right lung. I don't like what I read on the internet. It seems I could suddenly kick the bucket!
I am on blood thinners. Tomorrow I have to go to the anticoagulation clinic, then to my own family doctor in the afternoon.

I am surprised as I don't smoke, I walk briskly most days with my dog, I dance etc.

Life is so fragile isn't it.

Ruth

Back to top Go down

I'm sick. Empty Re: I'm sick.

Post  Guest Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:56 pm

Ruth,

I am very sorry to hear and I hope they work through this with you, and you have the best outcome.

I think they should take a look at heart rhythm....if I remember from a few months ago, this was a concern.

I hope they treat the clot aggressively.

Wishing you the best!
-mgb

Back to top Go down

I'm sick. Empty I'm sick

Post  Chinookgrl Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:10 pm

Oh Ruth I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I'm so glad you went in to the hospital when you did. Take care and take it easy, hopefully the docs will help you resolve this quickly.

Jo
Chinookgrl
Chinookgrl

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:17 pm

Oh Ruth, how distressing! but I am certain you are in good, knowledgeable hands and everything will be alright!
You will be back dancing and twirling with your hubby and babies in no time, you'll see!

hugs, hugs, hugs
Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Ruth Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:57 am

Thanks guys!

Marc, it's funny you should mention my heart rythmn, about five minutes before I read your post I said to my husband 'I wonder if the skipped
beats have anything to do with this?' I also seem to have a very low pulse rate these days, it was 46 in the hospital but it has been down to 40.

My dear five year old granddaughter Grace was sitting at the dinner table with me the other day and she suddenly said 'Grandma, pretty soon you
will be going to heaven'. I asked her why that is and her comment was 'because Grandma's are old' !! I thought it was so sweet, but now I'm thinking
she may be right! Although at almost 62 I was hoping to be around a bit longer!

Ruth

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:05 am

That sounds very scary. Blood thinners aren't the most fun either, bruising, if you have to have surgery you need to go off of them for X amount of time. But, it seems that would be the lesser of two evils, rather than walking around like a time bomb.

Hugs, to you and sending you the best of wishes.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:49 am

Oh my Ruth! So glad you went to the hospital and had this checked out. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope they break-up with no ill effects.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:56 am

Wow I'm sorry to hear that. That's scary stuff. I'm sure you'll be fine though. I'm glad they caught it and are starting treatment.
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:03 am

Real distressed at this news ... real glad you have help nearby. Hope they can provide you with some relief.
Richard
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:57 am

Oh Ruth.. I am sorry you are having to deal with such a scary issue. I hope blood thinners work quickly and you are healthy again quickly.

Alli
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:17 am

Very scary, Ruth. I'm sorry to hear it, and I hope everything resolves quickly! Take care!

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:37 am

ruth,

i'm sad to hear this. and yes heart rhythm, beat abnormalities, and issues with the heart's valves can be suspect. atrial fibrillation can cause a clot to form.

aspirin, plavix, warfarin, heparin are commonly used to help treat this, as well as a med called Lovenox that works to break up a clot.

your heart rate is on the low side--i hope they are going to investigate that much further ruth. i'm running around 55 and dip into the 40's in the evening and it is quite tiring.

i had some very rapid heart rate a couple weeks ago and they though a pulmonary embolism was possible. they did a stat CT angiogram (no pain, takes 5 minutes) to check things out. are they doing diagnostics such as a CT + an echocardiogram to look at the heart's valves.

sorry to go into particulars. we want you hanging around. 62 is young!

take care,
marc

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:54 am

Sorry to read this. So very glad they took you serious at the ER and did further tests. Wishing you well.
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  Ruth Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:23 pm

Thanks again all of you.

Marc, I had one test where they inject dye into you, similar to a CT scan but less radiation.
I am on Warfarin, the needle and the pills (needle for a week or more) and I have to go for blood tests to
keep checking until they find the right dosage. It's going to be a pain until they sort the dosage out but it's worth it.

I also get the rapid beat once in a while, only for about 6 to 8 seconds though. I will mention this to my family
doctor when I see him in an hour or so, although he knows this and had me go through the stress tests etc.
Maybe he'll send me for an echocardiogram. I have to take all the papers to him that I was given at the hospital.

I hope they can sort you out too Marc!

Ruth

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:35 pm

Good luck Ruth....

I hope they get things sorted out, and insist on being checked out.

Take much care!
-mgb

Back to top Go down

Post  Ruth Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:58 pm

Apparantly I have two blood clots in both lungs, not just the one as they told me at the hospital.

I asked my doctor if all the skipped beats could have anything to do with this and his answer was 'no'.
He also seemed surprised that they don't keep you in the hospital any more with clots to the lung, they used to.
I guess it's the lack of hospital beds and staff.

Ruth

Back to top Go down

Post  AZgirl Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:35 pm

Hi, Ruth.

Just stopping in to say I am thinking of you. I had multiple PEs nearly 2 years ago in the right lung and was already hospitalized at the time, and it bought me 2 more nights before I was released.

I hope they get you stablized with the dose soon, and that the food and medication interactions do not pose too much inconvenience.

Supporting you...
AZgirl
AZgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:16 pm

Ah, Ruth, I'm sorry to hear.

I hope they have you on a good treatment schedule.

Was this a GP or a cardiologist/pulmonologist that said emboli isn't cardiac related? I hope he's done some siginificant testing to rule the heart, it's rhythm, and the valves out. I think he or she would have some conflicting opinions with the cardiovascular/pulmonary field. Maybe they have some concrete data otherwise, but they need to know where this is coming from.

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/pulmonary_embolism/pul_overview.aspx

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000132.htm

These nasty things do pop up, and the heart is commonly reviewed for a source. A valve not functioning correctly can cause an embolism or clot to form. I don't remember you having any surgical procedures within any recent time. Pooling of blood in the extremities too can cause an embolism.

I've gone through this issue myself, and lost a loved one to this.

Many times, this is treated in hospital because there are many things to balance. Please make sure to get to the ER if you do not feel well.

I'm not a doc by any means, but I'm just giving you my opinions. Please be careful and take care.

Back to top Go down

Post  Cindy*W Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:59 am

Ruth,

So sorry to hear you aren't feeling well.

I really don't know much about pulmonary embolism, but sounds like the doctors have it under control.

I will keep you in my prayers and everything is going to be fine.

Please get lots of rest. Let others take care of you for a change.

Please keep us updated on how you're doing.

Cindy
Cindy*W
Cindy*W

Back to top Go down

Post  Ruth Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:32 am

Thankyou again Smile

Lynelle, I was surprised to hear you had the same thing, do you know if you still have the blood clots? Are you still having to take
blood thinners? Was it pain that sent you to the hospital in the first place? So sorry about all the questions.

Marc, it was my family physician that told me the skipped beats wouldn't be related. I did mention to the doctor at the Anticoagulation clinic
about them, she used to work at the cardiac clinic where I had those stress tests etc. She didn't comment on whether they could
be related. However, I won't let this rest. I do get so frustrated with the medical profession these days.

The last major surgery I had was a total hysterectomy in December 2005, wonder if that could have anything to do with the clots?
The surgeon did say I was a complete mess inside!

Ruth

Back to top Go down

Post  Ruth Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:49 am

Marc, thanks for the website links, I've saved them in my favourites, they are really informative!

Ruth

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:25 am

Ruth,

I don't know anything so I can't give you advice. Stay on top of your doctors. That is one thing I have learned from Marc.

I wish you good health and quick recovery from this.

All my best,
£eslie
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:46 pm

Ruth, I'm sorry you have had such a scare. Keep on top of your lab work while on the blood thinners. I had a clot in my upper arm from a botched Picc line placement. It was very painful and scary. The Dr. that was supposed to keep track of my bloodwork didnt and I had a very bad time with a bleeding kidney stone. If you get a lot of bruises, call the Dr. right away! I wil keep you in my prayers.
Hugs,
Cindy
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy Ray Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:50 pm

Will be praying for you. Take care.
Billy Ray
Billy Ray

Back to top Go down

Post  Stillhurtin Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:59 pm

Ruth,
I am so so sad to read this, and will be keeping you in my thoughts. PLease keep us posted, as we all care for you and wish you the best!

(((Hugs))))

Jessica
Stillhurtin
Stillhurtin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next