migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strange side effect?

2 posters

Go down

Strange side effect? Empty Strange side effect?

Post  xmom Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:05 pm

I don't know whether this is a side effect per se of imitrex or part of the normal migraine cycle, but I thought I'd see if this happens to anyone else.

I've noticed lately after I've taken an imitrex that when it starts to work, my breathing rate slows down tremendously. It's actually kind-of relaxing.. but I didn't know whether this is a side effect or just some way my body is attempting to heal itself? It would make sense that it is helping to dissipate the migraine as slower breathing probably helps to calm nerves and reduce inflammation. On the other hand it's sort-of scary too to be breathing slower than normal.

xmom

Back to top Go down

Strange side effect? Empty Re: Strange side effect?

Post  moominamy Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:51 am

I had this majorly with the imitrex injection. I had to remind myself to breath and was only having about 3-4 breaths a minute, very shallow, without doing it. Along with the searing pain of the injection site and the headrush that felt awful, I decided after 3 tries not to have it again. Plus it barely helped the migraine and I got my usual worse migraine about 24 hours after using it. But I didn't get the slow breathing with any other triptan, just sumatriptan. Maybe you'd have better luck with a differrent one?

Amy

moominamy

Back to top Go down