migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

migraines and vacations

+5
AuntieBubbs
Paradox
Hal
milo
dailyha-rose
9 posters

Go down

migraines and vacations Empty migraines and vacations

Post  dailyha-rose Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:44 am

hi, everyone. well i just made it back from NE. we went to see the crane migration. it was spectacular! i had low to med. level pain. made 3 viewings. on fri. i woke up with a bad M. my husband had already told me not to sweat it if i got one during the trip. when someone does not pressure you it helps a lot. and the best part. i had stadol with me. i used amerge, anaprox and the big gun -- stadol. woke up 4 hrs later when he got back from the a.m. viewing. we then had breakfast and got to play tourists around town. it was fun to have a real life for a short time. thank goodness i persisted in getting my neuro. to give stadol to me. (only took 3 yrs.)
i am so happy. we both got to have some fun. just had to write to you all about it.

i did break the cardinal rule of M., though i set this week up with multiple things and even w/o a mini vacation, i can never do more than 2 things a week!!! so i will probably get clobbered this week.

at least i had that mini trip. first in two years!!!!!!!!!!! bounce

rose

dailyha-rose

Back to top Go down

migraines and vacations Empty Re: migraines and vacations

Post  milo Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:00 am

Yay for you!

I would love to see the cranes.

I went to Cancun in Feb and had no headache the entire time....which is very, very odd. (I get them daily)
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

migraines and vacations Empty Vacation

Post  Hal Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:15 am

Rose,

Sounds like a wonderful time even with the pain. Where exactly did you go? That sounds like something I would like to do.

Hal
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  dailyha-rose Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:53 am

hi,

we stayed in Kearney, NE. just a few miles from the Rowe Sanctuary. at the sanctuary they have blinds you can view the cranes from. we had reservations for thur. a.m. pm and fri. a.m. and p.m. wed. p.m. we viewed from fort kearney recreation area (on a bridge). i did miss fri. am but am happy to have participated at all since i have daily headaches.
when you view the cranes you can hear them coming in at night or leaving the Platte River in the morning. the sight in the morning is amazing as your eyes adjust and the day is starting and you realize there are thousands of cranes in front and all around you (on the river). at night you wait and watch the horizon. you think you see a cloud in the distance and then you realize that its cranes. you can't believe how many you see and you can't believe there are more and more coming. where will they all fit? you think from watching a tv show about the migration that it will be fun, but you are really overwhelmed by the number of birds you see and hear. in the the volunteers whisper to you the facts about the cranes. its hard if you are like me and feel bad as soon as you wake up. but i am so glad i did it. the comfort inn and suites in Kearney was nice. the last night a large group of wrestlers and parents came in. loud at night. my husband spoke to the mgr. and got comped (free) for that night. my spouse went out twice into the hallways after midnight to tell the kids to go to bed!
you can get tourist info sent to you and the web (rowe site esp. ) has lots of info. plus i would be glad to tell you details if you have any questions about the places we went to.
thank goodness i got to go. what a trip! cheers

rose

dailyha-rose

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:34 pm

I so happy for you Rose!!!

One of the things on my bucket list is to see a real puffin in the wild. Has anyone ever done that? Where, and what time of year?
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:12 pm

Rose, that sounds wonderful. Good for you!

What is anaprox? I'm not familiar with that medication.
Stadol, however, is my lifesaver. Thank goodness my nuero understands that its a medication that works for me and that I need to be on for rescue situations. "Big gun" indeed! That describes it perfectly. I recommend an emergency vial for anyone planning a vacation and worried that their migraines/migraine meds won't allow them to enjoy their trip.
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:56 pm

Oh how awesome, Rose!

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Cindy*W Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:57 pm

I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip Rose.

I have been here in Nebraska, just 30 miles from Rowe for 11 years and still haven't seen the cranes!

Guess I need to go next time.

Did you guys see the Arch while you were in Kearney?

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience at the Comfort Inn and Suites.

Glad to hear you got a free night though.

I am just curious where all you went while in Kearney.

Good thing you had your Stadol with you, and only missing one morning is fantastic.

So glad you had a good time.

Cindy
Cindy*W
Cindy*W

Back to top Go down

Post  Stillhurtin Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:16 pm

paradox wrote:I so happy for you Rose!!!

One of the things on my bucket list is to see a real puffin in the wild. Has anyone ever done that? Where, and what time of year?

Ummmm.... What's a Puffin? I am picturing a cross between a pufferfish and a muffin shaped critter. =D
Stillhurtin
Stillhurtin

Back to top Go down

Post  dailyha-rose Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:32 pm

hello,

auntiebubbs -- i forgot to logoff last night. also tried to post last night and my server disconnected. i thought i posted a response.
anaprox is naproxen sodium (generic) an nsaid. non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug. mine is 500 mg. you can get otc as aleve. but i don't know the mg. on those. i use one when i get a M. and take a triptan with it.
lucky to have persisted and gotten that script for stadol. able to try to travel again. Very Happy
cindy*w we did go to the archway. it was fun and close to the hotel. bet there are busloads of people there during the summer months. we tried the cellar bar for dinner one night. enjoyed our meal, again not far from the hotel and not a chain! nearly across from the hotel was the stagecoach gift shop. got a "peace, love, nebraska" tee-shirt there. some nice jewelry but a lot of weird items also. nice people running the place. we ate appetizers at thunderhead brewery. another night we played pool and basketball! at some irish bar close to the alley rose. we were going to eat at the alley rose but it just did not work out. we were so tired one night we just microwaved our leftovers from previous dinners out and ate in our room. we like to eat at family owned restaurants, not chains. as tourists we wanted to spend our money in places that would benefit locals and not have the money go to a corporate office away from Kearney etc. one day we went to grand island and hastings. we went to the museums in both towns and the planetarium. one museum had a village that is open in the summer months and looked like it would be a lot of fun. off of the museum with the crane art was a great fonner museum. he had an interesting life and knew a lot about horses and native americans. the other museum that housed the planetarium was very quaint and reminded us of our favorite museum when we were kids. the planetarium show was good. it was geared towards kids andnarrated by mark hammill from star wars fame. grandpa's steakhouse was a surprise. i thought it would be a chain and then at first glance it did not look too promising , until we got inside and really enjoyed the food and atmosphere. close to the hotel.
also we really did like the hotel -- the last night just was unexpected, but we will know for next time.

i hope you get to go there when you live so close, we will never forget it. bounce

dailyha-rose

Back to top Go down

Post  Cindy*W Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:27 am

Wish I had known you were coming so close to us.

Sounds like you saw alot while you were here though.

We have taken the kids quite a few times to the Museum in Hasting and to the planetarium and IMAX there.

Sometimes that IMAX really messes with my head though.

Was Stuhr Museum the one that wasn't open?

They are the ones that have the prairie town that you can go through.

They made the movie "Sarah, plain and tall," there and it is pretty neat to see.

Well, I guess let me know if you ever get back this way.

I'm so glad you had a good time.

Cindy
Cindy*W
Cindy*W

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:15 am

Ummmm.... What's a Puffin? I am picturing a cross between a pufferfish and a muffin shaped critter. =D

A puffin is the oddest looking little bird. It doesn't look real, it looks like it should be on a kids cereal box.

http://kids.nationalgeographic.com/Animals/CreatureFeature/Atlanticpuffin
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Cindy*W Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:31 pm

When my kids were little, I remember they had a book about a puffin eating pancakes.

This is going to sound stupid, but I really thought a puffin was a fictional bird. Embarassed

I told my husband about it and he got a real laugh out of it! Laughing

Cindy
Cindy*W
Cindy*W

Back to top Go down

Post  dailyha-rose Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:51 am

i am laughing at the idea of a puffin eating a pancake.

i did go to both the hastings museum and the stuhr museum. one of them had the planetarium inside. the other had the fonner museum(also open) across the street. there was a mud hut outside and the village that i believe is open in better weather and is a working village and sounded like a lot of fun.

maybe someday if we go back, we could meet for coffee or appetizers.

we had a great time.

i got sick on last fri. and my local clinic was closed. luckily the dr. in the urgent care understood my orders and knew i needed to get home to get to sleep before the medication wore off. i had one of the busiest weeks in months last week. so i am very thankful i got my m. on fr.

rose

dailyha-rose

Back to top Go down

migraines and vacations Empty Stadol

Post  cindy4hope Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:27 am

Hi, first time hereon the migraine page. Does stadol come in pill form or nose spray? I have tried most all the migraine meds my neurologist knows to give me, but he has never metioned stadol. Does it make you really tired and knock you out? lol I'm getting ready to go to the beach for vacation, though I'm ready for some relaxing, I know that the bright sun and hot temps will make my migraines worse. Was it hard to get a Rx for the stadol? I woke up early this morning with a migraine (5:00am) so I'm laying here in bed on the computer which doesn't help, but I was doing some research on migraines and came across this site. So glad I found you guys!

Many Blesssings,

Cindy

cindy4hope

Back to top Go down

Post  Hal Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:57 am

Cross between a pufferfish and a muffin? Sounds like someone has been on too much pain killer. Laughing

We get alot of craines here in Oklahoma, but not as much as in NE.

Hal
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

migraines and vacations Empty stadol

Post  dailyha-rose Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:17 pm

hi, cindy

just got back online after a long absence. stadol can be a hard medicine to get. you spray it in your nostril(s). it is very strong and i go to sleep after taking it, great for really bad headaches/migraines. it depends on your doctor and how they feel about it and you that will be a part of their decision to dispense. i have been on it off and on with two dif. neuros. in the last 19 years. one dr had no problem prescribing it and the other i had to beg.

you can do a search on this site using the keyword stadol and find posts about it. i would def. start a post about it because there are some very knowledgdeable people on the site who could give you more advice.

good luck and i can explain or answer certain questions too.

rose

dailyha-rose

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down