migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a study concerning botox: type of migraine seems to be the relative factor

+2
CluelessKitty
Lil Bird
6 posters

Go down

a study concerning botox:  type of migraine seems to be the relative factor Empty a study concerning botox: type of migraine seems to be the relative factor

Post  Lil Bird Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:58 pm

I copied and pasted this because I'm fairly sure you would not be able to follow the link without a subscription. This is what I found. It seems interesting and useful for anyone considering botox, like me. I'm open to anything that will help. Read it and let me know what you think.

Predicting Migraine Responsiveness to Botulinum Toxin Type A Injections

Christine C. Kim, MD; Megan M. Bogart, MD; Sue Ann Wee, MD; Rami Burstein, PhD; Kenneth A. Arndt, MD; Jeffrey S. Dover, MD, FRCPC
Arch Dermatol. 2010;146(2):159-163.

Our study supports the hypothesis that patients with imploding and ocular migraines are more responsive to BTX than those with exploding migraines. Injections of BTX at doses appropriate for cosmetic purposes may be sufficient to prevent migraine attacks.

Jakubowski et al5 prospectively studied 42 migraine patients to find a neurologic marker that would differentiate between those patients who respond to BTX treatment and those who do not. To their surprise, those who responded and those who did not respond were sharply divided in their descriptions of the directionality of their headache pain. Of the 39 with clear response, 87% described their pain as crushing and vicelike (imploding) or eye-popping (ocular). Conversely, 92% of the 24 without response described their headache pain as a buildup of pressure inside their head (exploding). To test the validity of this finding, a retrospective study was conducted at 2 other headache clinics, in which patients who were already undergoing prophylactic treatments with BTX were interviewed. Again, the only factor that distinguished those who responded from those who did not respond was the description and directionality of their headaches.

The patients who had exploding headaches experienced a mean (SD) reduction in migraine frequency of 11.4 (3.7) days per month to 9.4 (4.0) days per month, whereas migraine frequency in patients with imploding and ocular headaches was reduced from 7.1 (1.4) days per month to 0.6 (0.2) days per month. Using the Wilcoxon signed rank test, BTX effects on migraine frequency were significant for those who responded (P = .002) and for the patients with imploding (P = .005) headaches but not for those who did not respond (P = .30) or patients with exploding headaches (P = .07).
Lil Bird
Lil Bird

Back to top Go down

a study concerning botox:  type of migraine seems to be the relative factor Empty Re: a study concerning botox: type of migraine seems to be the relative factor

Post  CluelessKitty Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:23 pm

Interesting, perhaps it hugely depends on the nerves involved?

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

a study concerning botox:  type of migraine seems to be the relative factor Empty Re: a study concerning botox: type of migraine seems to be the relative factor

Post  jwar Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:35 am

So what kinds of migraine do you guys have? Mine is definitely imploding.
jwar
jwar

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:24 pm

I think mine is imploding as well....
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  moominamy Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:48 pm

Mine's exploding. I often think of it as a small person with a big hammer in my head trying to get out.

moominamy

Back to top Go down

Post  lrobb98 Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:25 pm

It is an interesting study, and it would be helpful to be able to predict who might do well, but....I have done Botox since 1998, over 2500 times total, and I still do not think we can predict who might do well..or, for that matter, where to do the Botox, or the dose. I was a participant in the(recently released) Premium trial(you can Google Premium and Botox), where we used 180 units total of Botox, and I am not sure those large doses work any more than my "usual" dose(40 to 70 units total). Larry Robbins,M.D. http://www.headachedrugs.com (we have new articles on the site, and on the doctors blog at the top, and on Twitter..name is doclarryrobbins on Twitter)

Last edited by lrobb98 on Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misspelling)

lrobb98

Back to top Go down

Post  Lil Bird Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:20 pm

jwar wrote:So what kinds of migraine do you guys have? Mine is definitely imploding.

Honestly, both. Lately I have felt like the pressure is pushing out though. The pain seems to settle in the back of my head and just above my eye. The sensation in the back of my head is like all the blood in my body is there pushing out on my skull like a balloon. It sux!
Lil Bird
Lil Bird

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down