migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daughter having migraines - help please

3 posters

Go down

Daughter having migraines - help please Empty Daughter having migraines - help please

Post  LizzieB Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:01 am

Hi

Yesterday had a call from my daughter saying she couldn't see things properly, people, words etc. My heart sank. She was in town and very frightened. Anyway she went back to her flat and there followed the headache, then the vomiting. I had a migraine myself so couldn't drive over, so my husband went there straight from work and he said the vomiting was very severe.

It might be a one-off but it might not be. I bought her some Imigran this morning, as that's the only triptan you can get over the counter. It had dire side-effects with me, I hope it won't for her. She's bad at taking tablets so the best thing would probably be to go to the GP and get some wafers prescribed.

When I had auras, triptans weren't around. Can anyone advise me please when is the best time to take it, during or after the aura (the headache didn't actually start for about 45 minutes).

Thanks
Liz
LizzieB
LizzieB

Back to top Go down

Daughter having migraines - help please Empty Re: Daughter having migraines - help please

Post  LG Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:23 am

I'm sorry your daughter is having migraines. I sure hope they pass and don't come back chronically. Hopefully it will be a once a year or so type of thing for her so it can be easily managed.

The doctors always told me to take mine DURING the aura so the medication would kick in before the pain arrived and it would work much much better. If you had questions though, I'd bring them to your pharmacist. I've heard they are great in your neck of the woods! I hope she feels better!
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Daughter having migraines - help please Empty daughter

Post  Chinookgrl Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:42 am

I agree Triptans seems to work best if you can take them at the onset of migraine symptoms, the aura phase is when I take something.
There is also recent information that taking a triptan with and anti-flammatory like Naproxen or Ketrolac can increase the effectiveness.
So sorry to hear your daughter is suffering, I'm glad she had you and your husband's help,knowledge and understanding.

Jo
Chinookgrl
Chinookgrl

Back to top Go down

Daughter having migraines - help please Empty Re: Daughter having migraines - help please

Post  LizzieB Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:20 pm

Thanks girls for your replies, that was helpful if it should happen again, fingers crossed it won't be for a while if it does.

She's with us today with the hangover effect and freaking out every time she thinks she can't see something properly, but I remember that well Crying or Very sad

Hope everyone else is OK today

Liz
LizzieB
LizzieB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down