migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HELP!!! Thai chicken turned into serious sinus drainage....

+2
Anna's Mom
CluelessKitty
6 posters

Go down

HELP!!! Thai chicken turned into serious sinus drainage.... Empty HELP!!! Thai chicken turned into serious sinus drainage....

Post  CluelessKitty Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:12 pm

Help, I beg peeps, as I for the very first time was cooking a Thai chicken soup according to this recipe:
http://thaifood.about.com/od/thaisnacks/r/TomKaKaisoup.htm

It seemed so simple. so I went for it. Mind you, I've never ever cooked any Thai or Chinese or any real Asian for that matter
(heck, I hate cooking!)
but I had such a craving for Thai Chicken soup I decided to have a go.

I followed all the steps and the result I believe is a new found cure for congested sinuses - for the created liquid is devoid of any taste except for being insanely bitter and H-O-T !!!

Believe me just a teaspoonful is enough for any mucous membrane to vehemently protest, and freely, copiously drain. More than a teaspoon and your head will turn into a flaming fireball.

My hopeless question is, is there a way to tune down the hot-ness in the soup???

Adding the water rather is not an option as the soup is otherwise really thin and tasteless, plus there will be way too much of it as there is too plenty (unfortunately) already.

I am boiling additional veggies right now, not even included in the recipe- carrots, celery, onion hoping it will add some taste. In a very little water, of course :/ ...

Any suggestions, peeps???? or should I quit while I am still ahead and just throw it away...?

sigh... I want the last two hrs of my life back Sad

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

HELP!!! Thai chicken turned into serious sinus drainage.... Empty Re: HELP!!! Thai chicken turned into serious sinus drainage....

Post  Anna's Mom Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:33 pm

I ate dinner at my daughter's house recently where very hot food was served. She is married to an Indian, and their friends who helped provide the dinner were Indian. I couldn't believe the "heat." Oh, my gosh...

They were saying that dairy tones down the heat. Like drinking milk with each bite. I don't know if you add milk to it, if that would help?

It was such hot food, I could barely eat anything. I never experienced anything like that before.

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

HELP!!! Thai chicken turned into serious sinus drainage.... Empty Re: HELP!!! Thai chicken turned into serious sinus drainage....

Post  susan99 Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:30 pm

i had a craving for a thai curry not too long ago, and it came out way insanely hotter than i could handle! i couldn't fig how to tone it down and had to throw it out. next time will do way less of the hot stuff! lol.

susan99

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:54 pm

Oh man I did that when I made that soup a couple of weeks ago. I used peppers I had grown in my garden and they were waaaay hotter than Thai chilies. the recipe called for 10-15 peppers and I only used 4. When I tasted it, OMG my sinuses blew up!

I immediately fished the chilis out and put in more coconut milk.. That cooled it of quite a bit.

Alli
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  Almostangela Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:41 pm

Maybe it's too late and you have tossed it, but I heard the when your mouth is burning from hot food, you grab a fruit drink. (That is why Mexicans have Margarittas).

Adding a citruis fruit will neutralize the hotness. Not sure what, but seeing that it is Thai, maybe a bit of mango or pineapple might take it down a notch.

Just an idea.

Angela
Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:08 pm

Thank you very much for all your suggestions.
Yes the soup is gone and no, I didn't throw it away, lol, I tried to neutralize it by adding more coconut milk and more liquid with boiled veggies.

It helped some, and then in the soup bowls we dolloped a bit of sour cream (didn't have a whipping one) which further mellowed the heat some. Wonder of wonders hubby think the soup was great Shocked
and ate it all in two days... well yipeee..

I think adding citrus would have been a great idea, too.
I might try the Thai chicken again, someday, just that now that I know how spicy are these Thai herbs I sure will be careful while adding them.

But most of all I won't bother with buying ready chicken stock.
Why, it is so much better to make your own basic chicken soup with lots of veggies, and then just make it taste like Thai.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  MaryAnneLive Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:54 pm

I LOVE thai food. That sounds delicious. I believe I will have a nice spicy curry for dinner.

For future reference Alton Brown says that sugar competes with the same taste receptors as the heat in chilis. When he had a taster eating chili's he had them spray some sugar water in their mouths.
MaryAnneLive
MaryAnneLive

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down